Ive been reading about them, and of course im a huge fan of Justin Chancellor's unique sound, as well as that of other musicians who use these instruments. Does anyone know if its even possible for an ordinary musician to get ahold of one of these anymore?
Wals are superhyperinflated right now. Partly due to the nostalgia of musicians growing up in the 80's, partly because high profile musicians are using them, namely Justin Chancellor.

The grapevine tells me that Wal should recommence manufacturing in the next few years. That will help reduce the inflation on these babies. But until then, don't hold you breath unless you have a few grand spare to burn.
My teacher has an early 80's Wal bass and it's such an amazing bass to play! The sound is fantastic too and it really feels like the expensive instrument it is. Shame it's only his backup bass
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
thanks for the input guys =)

i figured something along these lines, just figured id ask other peeps. Theyre great instruments, and id love to get my hands on one at some point in my life
Quote by indie-bassist
My teacher has an early 80's Wal bass and it's such an amazing bass to play! The sound is fantastic too and it really feels like the expensive instrument it is. Shame it's only his backup bass

Off topic, but if he's using the Wal as a backup bass, I want to see his first call guitar.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Wal has the best tone of any bass I have ever touched. There was one owned by the co-owner of a music shop back in Virginia and he let me play it for a little because I ahd spent like over 1500 bucks at that shop over the past 3 years so they found me a valued customer. I found his bass to be a valued piece of divine craftsmanship.

The only bass I've ever heard that sounded better in all aspects was a fretless 5 string ABG that a guy was absolutely destroying. He was playing in some no-name acoustic funk band and he probably could have given Les Claypool a run for his money.
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
Quote by IndianRockStar
He most likely uses Jesus' beard as his main instrument.

so that's not spam...

I'm gonna give you a break, but dude come on.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
If you happen to have $5000 lying around you can get one on eBay right now. I don't know of any other way to get one unless you happen to come across someone outside of the internet.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Last edited by aixelsydevahi at Sep 9, 2007,
The main feature of the bass is the Preamp i believe, and i think they refuse to even release any schematics for it.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by Caustic
Off topic, but if he's using the Wal as a backup bass, I want to see his first call guitar.

His main basses are a '73 Precision and an '06 Jazz.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!