I own a Vox AD50VT. When I play medium to large venues, I just mic the amp and play through the main speakers. All is well, pretty cool. But for the small venues, I just play straight amp... and it blows. I've had the amp for about a year and a half now and the volume is starting to swell on me at times. It will be strong, full power for about 30 minutes, then there will be a short 5 minute dip in volume. Could it be that my one, solitary tube in there is going? Or something different?

Anywho, next question. I'm looking at buying a cab to ease the load. I play on full power in the small venues. Full 50 watts, volume turned to 11. I realize this has to be bad (durrrr). So a cab should ease the load right? So I've been looking around. I plan on buying some cab and then pawning off the stock speakers in them and replacing them all with some nice Celestions. To cut to the chase, I read somewhere that a 4x12 cab is something like 120 watts. Then I got to thinking... can my 50 watt AD50 power a 120 watt cab? Do I need a head? Wtf does that mean, 120 watt cab anyway? If I replace the speakers with some Celestions, would I potentially blow them? Have I asked too many questions?
Your tube might be going but I don't think it would affect volume as it's pre-amp, not power amp. Maybe look at changing it anyway though as running the amp on full will wear it out faster.

Running your hybrid amp on full wouldn't be the greatest as it would clip in the transistor power section and as every UGer will tell you, SS clipping isn't very nice sounding. You should mic your amp every time you have the chance as it will sound way better.

Adding more speakers will not neccesarily make the amp louder, It's more about the efficiency of the speakers. A higher Db rated speaker will be louder than lower Db. So maybe find out the Db rating of your currents speakers and see if you can find higher ones.

Wattage on a cab tells you how much power you can put into it without blowing up the speakers basically. So your 50W amp would power a 120W cabinet easily provided it was the correct ohms and had an extension output jack.

I think I answered most of it, surely some others will chime in if I've forgotten anything.
The valve is in the power amp. But I doubt that has much to do with it.
You should take it back to te store ask them to take a look because it sounds like something a bit serious.
FYI, I don't care what anybody says, proven fact if your amp wattage (sp?) is lower than the speaker, you are going to blow the speakers in the combo/cabinet.
Quote by Fra
FYI, I don't care what anybody says, proven fact if your amp wattage (sp?) is lower than the speaker, you are going to blow the speakers in the combo/cabinet.

Spastic.

If you're amp wattage is higher than the speaker rating it'll blow, if it's lower it doesn't matter as long as the impedances match. If you have a pint of water it doesn't matter how big your bucket is, as long as it's at least a pint the water will fit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^

If you're finding your amp is too small, TS, I'd take the opportunity to upgrade to a nice 30w valve combo rather than buying a cab. You'd benefit from better volume, better reliability and better overall tone.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
But I love the vox tone MrCarrot

Ok so tell me, theoretically, could I build my own cab with my own bought Celestions? What would I need to do?
also, is my amp problem serious? I still have the warranty on it. Should I replace it?
Yes, try the tube, it's in the first power amp.

If its under warranty, just send it in.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by MrCarrot
If you're finding your amp is too small, TS, I'd take the opportunity to upgrade to a nice 30w valve combo rather than buying a cab. You'd benefit from better volume, better reliability and better overall tone.

This is the correct advice. It is yearning to be followed.

We had an AD30VT in the house. It's a nice little amp. Replaced it with a Crate V16, and no one seems to miss the Vox. If you have the money for an extension cab now, I'd suggest you sell your amp, couple it with your cab money, and buy a nice tube combo - as MrCarrot has wisely suggested. Should you follow this advice, I promise you will not regret it.

Should you get the cab, BTW, it's unlikely that you'll be easing much of that amp's load, anyway. "11" will just be that much louder.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by DingoDance
But I love the vox tone MrCarrot

Thats just like saying The Marshall Tone, and then matching it with an MG

Or The Fender Tone, then looking at the fender fm

You dont know what the 'vox tone' is if your playing the AD, its a modeller amp, the vox tone is in their tube amps, Im not saying it isnt a nice amp, because it is a reasonable amp, but its far off of the vox tone.
Upgrade to a full out tube amp?
What could you suggest? I REALLY, REALLY, REALLLLLY like Vox. From the AD's to the AC's. I'm thinking an AC30 would be nice.
Most definitely try the AC30. You have only gotten a taste of Vox so far with the Valvetronix. Also Laney and Traynor combos.
It's actually kinda funny because on my AD50 I always use the AC30 setting, haha.

Now once again I'm stupid and need clarification. Just how loud would a 30watt AC30 be? Louder than my 50 watt AD50? By far?
I dont know much but If the AC30 is tube amp then it should be louder then the 50
Quote by slidething31
Blues men don't wear band T shirts.
Quote by DingoDance
Now once again I'm stupid and need clarification. Just how loud would a 30watt AC30 be? Louder than my 50 watt AD50? By far?

The AC30 is a notoriously loud 30W amp. It's probably louder than a lot of 50W tube amps. It'll crush the AD50VT.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet. That's what I wanted to hear. Ok cool, I'll try to find some money and buy one. Think it'd be cheaper to just buy a regular AC30CC2 and put my own celestion speakers in it? Or nah, the warranty... meh
lol seriously. AC30 is a loud amp. it's louder than most 40w and 50w amps. (fender tubes excluded) so yea. those two speakers are insanely loud.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
So how does it compare to the AD50. Everyone says it blows it away, is it closer to the AD100VT? More or less than that, if anyone knows
u can't compare it fully cranked. cuz when it's cranked, AC30s would sound notoriously better. In fact, if u want that much loudness... why don't u get a PA?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
then why would u need it so loud? i'm not saying the ac30 is not loud or anything... but iono.

i guess it's time to change powertubes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by DingoDance
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet. That's what I wanted to hear. Ok cool, I'll try to find some money and buy one. Think it'd be cheaper to just buy a regular AC30CC2 and put my own celestion speakers in it? Or nah, the warranty... meh

I have the CC1, which has a high efficiency Neo speaker in it, and it cranks. I run an extension cab with it only because I have one. I don't need it. I've thought about changing out the speaker for an Eminence Red Fang, which is a 30W speaker modeled on the famed Celestion Blues.

Just mentioning it because you can probably get the CC1 cheaper than the stock CC2, and if you're thinking about changing out the speakers it'll be a lot cheaper to change out just one.

Quote by DingoDance
So how does it compare to the AD50. Everyone says it blows it away, is it closer to the AD100VT? More or less than that, if anyone knows

The AC30 will probably be a lot louder than the AD100 when comparing cleans, and similarly loud dirty. Either way, it'll sound a lot BETTER, and it's more than enough power for gigs.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Thanks slats!!!

And EC, it's the small venues. The backyard, hole in the wall type parties. I can't use the PA there because its simply too big. I'm not going to lug the JBL's in there and play. Plus they'd be too close together and the mic's would get a feedback issue...

So this is what I'd like. I'm stoked... I just need money. BLAH!