Hi never posted in here.

So my sister has decided to play bass instead of the guitar and she said to me that she found some really cool ones. And yes they were all no name brands and were pink, she really has her heart set on a pink one. I said it would be better to get one from a well known brand.

My knowlege on basses is little to none so I need some help recomending a Bass and Bass amp to her. I did point her in the direction of a J Bass (MIM) and she liked the look of them. I also recomended a Laney because mine is sweet.

Any other suggestions? She wants an Indie sound similar to We Are Scientists. Plus she won't have the biggest budget in the world probs £500 max.
Guitars Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, Vintage VS-6, Yamaha C-40 Classical
Amps Laney VC15, Crate GT212 *FOR SALE*
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
spend more cash on the amp than the bass, even if you just get a squier affinity p bass and spend the rest on a n amp that would be better than blowing all the cash on an MIM p bass and having very little left over for an amp

anyways most indie bands bassists use either rickenbacker 4001/4003 basses which you won't get on that budget or fender MIA p basses which again you won't get on that budget. and seeing as rickenbacker are very protective of their designs you won't find a copy of them very easily i'd say get a squier vintage modified p bass and ask someone else for amps cos i'm no expert
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Well I play in an indie band and use a Precision Bass through an Ashdown amp. Both fantastic pieces of gear for the sound I want. Like Dan said, look at the Squier Vintage Modified P-Bass it's a very good bass for the money, and then get an Ashdown MAG series bass amp, or the Laney RB series is also well worth it, if you're buying amps in the UK, Ashdown/Laney is the way to go in my opinion.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Haha one that she wanted initially was a Daisy Rock I thought it was some sorto of gimmick. Surely you can get better quality at those prices also she is 15 coming up 16 in October. She also assures me that it wont be some fad that she will grow out of so she needs some quality.

^^^ Yes Ricenbackers are gonna be expensive, also what is the difference between the J and P, Is it like Strat vs Tele?
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
Woody (Bullet-Rule) bought an Ashdown amp but I haven't spoken to him recently to find out what it is like. Can you get Tube Bass amps or are they all SS?

EDIT: Sorry for DP!

EDIT2: You guys are a lot more helpful than the Electric Guitar forum so cheers.

Member of the Laney Cult
Last edited by Sharly at Sep 9, 2007,
In general the amp should come before the bass BUT you can't buy a good amp and a crapbucket bass and expect learning to be fun - cheaper models can actually make it harder to play
Quote by Sharly
also what is the difference between the J and P, Is it like Strat vs Tele?

The difference is basically the sound and the shape of the bass. The P bass has a Split Single Coil, which gives it a beefy mid range tone, good for rock and indie stuff.

The J bass has two single coils, and has a very versatile sound, ranging from rock, to jazz, to maybe metal, and lots of other stuff as well.

As far as shape is concerned, the Jazz has a slimmer profile, and the neck is smaller, making little hands easier to play it. The Precision has a fatter neck.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Daisy Rocks are actually pretty decent, basically they're Schecters for girls.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Sharly
Woody (Bullet-Rule) bought an Ashdown amp but I haven't spoken to him recently to find out what it is like. Can you get Tube Bass amps or are they all SS?

EDIT: Sorry for DP!

EDIT2: You guys are a lot more helpful than the Electric Guitar forum so cheers.

1. yes you can but they're bloody expensive and bass has a completely different tone pallete, what sounds crap on the guitar can actually be quite damn good for the bass. So get a solid state, they're really not that bad.

2. lol

3. why thank you. Yes us bassists pride ourselves on being helpful

Quote by steven seagull

this guys absolutely right, look past the silly shaped basses and you will find a couple of basses that are actually quite nice.
like this one:

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=14-6775/545.0.21713.0.0.0.0

If you include VAT and shipping for this bass the price comes up to about £300. Personally i think it's a very good bass for the price as it has a mahogany body, solid quilt maple top, grover tuners and active electronics although you might want a better set of pickups. i was actually looking at a 5 string one myself!
Dunno if it ships to the UK but only 1 way to find out eh?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Sep 9, 2007,
That is the exact bass that she showed me so... I was wrong, dammit!

GAK only sells one which is shaped like a flower, so I will have to find a reliable online store. I've never seen one in a music shop near here.

And again thanks for helping out a bass noob.

Member of the Laney Cult
^well you can buy them off that link i showed you but i'm not sure if they ship to the UK.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I'll tell you what, I actually played a pete wentz signature squier the other day.
And it wasn't that bad.

Take a moment to take that in.

Honestly, I thought it was a solid bass easily worth the money if you can stand the rather homosexual design on it. If your sisters into that, check it out.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
daisey rock is the way to go. if she really wants pink, but a decent bass and refinish it for her
Quote by steven seagull

i wouldn't necessarily compare it to a schecter, i felt the hardware wasn't as nice, and it couldn't get as much range tonally as a schecter, but its not that bad of a bass, if she's going to keep it up though she might not want to get a pink bass, it looks kind of funny on stage and there are tons of chicks who play bass, and still look cool yet girly with a regular bass

i would sugest just getting a beginner bass, to make sure she's serious, although at 15 she should be able to make good decisions, but an ibanez gsr 200 or something similar wouldn't be to bad to start off with

and oh yeah you're not going to want a tube bass amp, simply because just the head alone would probably be out of your price range, although SS bass amps sound a lot better compared to ss guitar amps. Ampwise, go with ampeg or GK they have some smaller amps that would be fine, and Behringer isn't as bad as everyone says, so you don't have to avoid it like the plague
Quote by Forcemaster
I'll tell you what, I actually played a pete wentz signature squier the other day.
And it wasn't that bad.

Take a moment to take that in.

Honestly, I thought it was a solid bass easily worth the money if you can stand the rather homosexual design on it. If your sisters into that, check it out.

thats another option, the bass isn't that bad except it only has one knob and its for volume! i hate that so much
Last edited by Zar938 at Sep 9, 2007,
If your sister's heart is set on a pink bass, you could try Laurel or Luna guitars. Laurel puts out a pink P bass clone. One of the girl bass players who takes lessons at the studio I go to has one, its a good starter bass that could be even better with a bit of modding. My opinion on the DaisyRocks are that they put too much in the gimmick of being "girl rock" and not enough in making solid instruments.

Precision basses are great for indie music, though I've used the SR800 as well at times. I would put more of the cash towards a good amp, either new or used.

And I have to got with Zar. Most of us female bass players manage to keep the estrogen level pretty damn high without resorting to a "girly" bass. (and for the record, I HATE pink, bleach).
Quote by Zar938
i wouldn't necessarily compare it to a schecter, i felt the hardware wasn't as nice, and it couldn't get as much range tonally as a schecter, but its not that bad of a bass, if she's going to keep it up though she might not want to get a pink bass, it looks kind of funny on stage and there are tons of chicks who play bass, and still look cool yet girly with a regular bass

i would sugest just getting a beginner bass, to make sure she's serious, although at 15 she should be able to make good decisions, but an ibanez gsr 200 or something similar wouldn't be to bad to start off with

and oh yeah you're not going to want a tube bass amp, simply because just the head alone would probably be out of your price range, although SS bass amps sound a lot better compared to ss guitar amps. Ampwise, go with ampeg or GK they have some smaller amps that would be fine, and Behringer isn't as bad as everyone says, so you don't have to avoid it like the plague

I really like my GSR 200.....It doesn't come in pink but I'm pretty sure it comes in jewel blue...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'm still trying to persuade her that specs are far more important than the colour, and she is starting to see the light. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't mind a blue, purple or white one.

And some of the suggestions are looking good, especially that Ibanez.

Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by Zar938
i wouldn't necessarily compare it to a schecter,

The lady who owns Daisy rock and the guy from Schecter are married / long time partners. You could guess on a limb that the guitars might be quite similar if they used the same foriegn factories and stuff.
one thing you could do is buy a nice squier VM P bass, and if appearance really does matter to her, then sand the finish off with 40 grit sandpaper, then prep the wood with 100 grit, then 400 grit paper and give it some filler, some cabinet maker stuff should do, then, at your hardware store, find some pink automotive acryllic lacquer and a can of clear coat (from the same brand to ensure compatibility) and spray the lacquer on until the finish is satisfactory then apply approximately three clear coats with a week in between each coat, it is important NOT to touch it. when this is finished, give it a sanding with 400 grit sand paper, then wet-sand with 600 grit lubricated by some water with a little dish-washing soap until it has a dull sheen to it. then apply some car wax, or some good guitar polish and your finish is near professional, its actually thinner than most polyurethanes and isnt as expensive either, I built a guitar form a kit with this finishing strategy and it sounds and looks pretty good.

edit: when applying lacquer and clear coat spray side to side, then up-down with each coat to hide the grain better.
Member of the "Shoop Da Woop" club, PM to Join
Last edited by pie_man_25 at Sep 9, 2007,
I think a re-finish would be last resort. But it is a way round the colour issue, so thanks.

Member of the Laney Cult
You said she wouldn't mind a white one, the Squier I suggested is white. It's also a solid bass, I would say it's very nearly on a par with the MIM Fenders.
Quote by Bumper

I actually think what DaisyRock is doing is great. There are just too few chicks rocking out. They're good instruments, and their scale is more towards smaller ladies.

However, I've seen in many stores (OK, 3) a SHELL PINK Fender Precision. Not only is it pink, it's a great damn bass. Your 500 quid budget should cover it.

I have an inkling that it's a classic series Fender bass. Ask at your local Fender dealer.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I've always found Daisy Rock to be rather patronizing. Putting damn flowers and stars all over the instruments just because they're for girls.

While there are many people here better at giving advice than me, go for a cheaper bass. If she was so set on the colour pink for the primary quality (though it's good to see she's expanded the colour range...) then there's a better chance of her getting bored of the instrument.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
I've always found Daisy Rock to be rather patronizing. Putting damn flowers and stars all over the instruments just because they're for girls.

Amen, sister.

The message that DaisyRock gives is that women are not going to be serious about playing unless the guitar or bass is "pretty".

And as far as getting more women / girls playing, well I can tell you that the ratio of male/female students for bass at the place I go to is 50/50. And most can handle a full sized bass and not have to rely on a "mini-me" small scale.
If shes going to play bass then an amp is whats gonna do it. If she gets into a band and turns up with a 25 watt POS then shes gonna regret it. Get here a 50 watt amp to start off with and also make sure its branded like fender or Ashdown.

Have to say i have a shine 5 string bass and it aint too bad. Necks thick buts thats cause it has 5 Strings. But bodys light and is ergodyne shaped so its a lot smaller than a squire or and fender copy.
I also forgot to mention that I agree with dinkydaisy and anarkee and the whole daisy rock with the flowers and butterflies and crap, I mean, I only know one girl who plays bass, and she's also the only girl I know that plays guitar. I don't mean to insult any chics (like anarkee) but I tend to find that girls aren't always (although there ARE exceptions) very serious about non-popular music and tend not to follow the rock scene, I'm not saying that girls aren't fit to rock and roll, because I know a girl who can mosh just as good as any guy I know and not get hurt. I guess my point is that the artists that are generally well remembered are mostly guys, and female directed music only lasts a short time, and that most girls I know don't take music very seriously.

also, one thing you could consider is the saga kit, they come together relatively quickly and are good for beginners and can come pretty cheap.
Member of the "Shoop Da Woop" club, PM to Join
Last edited by pie_man_25 at Sep 9, 2007,
Quote by Dinkydaisy

I can see you saying they're patronizing the same way BC Rich guitars can be patronizing to metalheads (although I guarantee nobody's ever thought of it that way), but I always thought they were made more for 10-14 year olds, where the hearts, sparkles, and butterflies might be appreciated. Musicians, girl or no, get into 'real instruments' as they get older.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I would recommend the MIM Jazz, they're not overly expensive however they could easily last a while, IMO, a perfect beginner bass. Wish I'd have got one though. And I think the J pickups will suit indie rock very well. As for the amp, I recommend Hartke, even the 15W practice one, unless she would like a bigger one for the future.

The Hartke 15W IMO is one of the best practice amps I've played through. The MIM Jazz and that will be just under your sister's budget too.

Hope it goes well!
signature
I was the one who first suggested Daisy Rock to the TS. But I just want to clairfy I made the suggestion because the TS's sister wanted a pink bass, not because she was a girl.

I agree with anarkee that they are gimmicky. But anything to encourage young people to take up the bass is surely a good thing.
Quote by kaptink
The lady who owns Daisy rock and the guy from Schecter are married / long time partners. You could guess on a limb that the guitars might be quite similar if they used the same foriegn factories and stuff.

+1. Daisy Rock came about because the schecter guy's wife wanted to start a brand of guitars just for girls.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Slightly off topic but following the girls playing bass thing, has anyone noticed the KT Tunstall album cover with her sporting a rather disgusting thunderbird bass?

And yes I can imagine Daisy Rock stuff being rather patronising to you females, especially the fact that the majority of them are short scale too.
Quote by Bumper

Just to join in to the debate... I personally do not like the idea of Daisy Rock because it is slightly degrading, I have quite a few female friends who play bass and they have 'normal' basses and can play them really well.

However if they are using quality parts and their quality control is good well they are not doing much wrong.

Member of the Laney Cult
At a local music store, I've seen little girls buy Daisy Rock guitars on 3 or 4 separate occasions. I still think it's marketed more towards girls who would appreciate the butterflies and flowers.

EDIT: http://www.daisyrock.com/products/basses/rc_bass.htm
http://www.daisyrock.com/products/basses/rc_specialbass.htm

If that doesn't fit the bill of what your sister wants, I can't help you. Really. Christ, I'd almost consider buying the RC Special.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Sep 11, 2007,