Hello all

For a long time, I thought that all guitars were handmade to some extent. Then I found out that some are more handmade than others. Aparently, Gibson are handmade.

Does it make such a big difference? I mean, sure there's the "made with love" factor, but you still use machines to build it.

Like, if you're routing pickup cavities, does it matter that much if it's done by a handheld router and template, or by a CNC router?

And no-one, like, cuts the body out by hand with a knife or a saw. Everyone uses bandsaws or the previously mentioned CNC routers

The general assembly (bolting on necks, putting in pickups, hardware, stringing...) is always done by hand.

Is there really that big a difference? Is it worth the extra cash?
Handmade probably has a better cut of the wood and is probably higher quality.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by p.stick
Handmade probably has a better cut of the wood and is probably higher quality.

Ok. But that's got nothing to do with the contruction. Why can't people get some good wood and machine-make a good guitar? Less effort, lower cost, satisfied customer.
Quote by sashki
Ok. But that's got nothing to do with the contruction. Why can't people get some good wood and machine-make a good guitar? Less effort, lower cost, satisfied customer.

Because machine just takes in wood and cut it. If it is handmade, the person will always look for some faults and avoid them.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

That was the idea by Fender. Take their factories to Indonesia/Taiwan and spew out rubbish toys, not instruments. A well built guitar will sound good, the Japanese and American factories are good.

Thats why a good instrument will generally cost more :-)
Most of the times when it says handmade all it is is one guy putting a screw in somewhere, and the rest done by machine. "Handmade" just sounds better.

Of course, in general, "handmade" just means better quality wood, construction, tighter quality control and way more attention to detail.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Gibson just seems so overpriced. I'm not at all denying that it's good (cos they're great) but you can get equal, even better, for less. I was wonder what makes them so special, besides collector's value.

Then again, Fender has collectors value, and costs half as much.
Most people dont want to pay for a true handmade instrument. Think of the hours that are needed to craft a guitar body and the problems when you make a mistake. A CNC machine used to make most guitar parts are very accurate. I doubt even gibson has a guy with a wood plane making guitar bodies from scratch. And yes machines will lower the cost of a guitar. Its all in the quality of the machine and the experience of the operator. There is still a person who will take the parts and assemble them. Just the effort that put into it is much different on a gibson than a 100 dollar guitar. And that effort costs money. We all see the posts of people trying to get really cheap guitars from overseas. Pay cheap get cheap.
Why do you think that the guitars that people are building and posting here on UG look so GODDAMN SECKSY
www.myspace.com/nirvana_rox_ryda_j

Quote by Ovenman
Women don't sh*t.
There's no toilet in the kitchen.

Quote by Yan Yan
!

This thread was made back when i had my old 06 account.

Quote by Tackleberry
Pay cheap get cheap.

Not necessarily true. Price doesn't always equal quality. I'll tell you, my 230 euro Ibanez turned out to be more versatile, comfortable and better sounding than a lot of expensive (1000 euros or more) guitars taht I've played. A gibson SG was one of them.

Sure, my guitar isn't the best in the world, but it's amazing for its price. And it's machine made. Out of AGATHIS.

IN INDONESIA, GODDAMMIT! And it still manages to be good.
Quote by madmk
That was the idea by Fender. Take their factories to Indonesia/Taiwan and spew out rubbish toys, not instruments. A well built guitar will sound good, the Japanese and American factories are good.

Thats why a good instrument will generally cost more :-)

the mim instruments are brilliant values for the money, so long as you find a good one (not that hard)... if i may quote another member of this forum "mim fenders are made by mexicans in mexico, mia fenders are made by mexicans in california"... i mean there is better hard ware, and wood choice but thats about it
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Instruments have to be handmade to a degree. It's arguable, though, that a production line necks cut by a precision machine will be more consistent than a neck hand-cut.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Instruments have to be handmade to a degree. It's arguable, though, that a production line necks cut by a precision machine will be more consistent than a neck hand-cut.

I see no difference. Apart from that the production line necks will all be exactly the same. I'm sure if you make two identically shaped necks, one by hand, one by machine, you won't feel a difference.
another reason why handmade can be better is due to scale... if a company is machine-making guitars, odds are they're churning out as many as possible. there won't be the same attention to detail, and they won't be able to select the wood etc. as well because they're making so many. if they need 5000 bits of wood per week, they obviously can't exercise the same QC as someone who needs 5...

whereas if you go to a guy who makes one or two a week, they're going to search for the best wood they can find...

(resi pretty much already made this point, i just wanted to expand upon it)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Any instrument that can be assembled by a machine should and will be assembled by a machine. It's just more cost-efficient with no real drawbacks. The guitar is still designed by humans, and it still has to pass quality control, which is administered by humans. All my guitars are machine assembled, and I have no problems with them.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
another thing is that if it's entirely or mostly hand made then it's some luthier sitting there working his/her ass off, he's going to want to be proud of what he/she has made, therefore you are likely to get a guitar made to perfection. then of course i'm sure you get the odd depressed guy who does a sloppy job and couldn't care less because his wife just filed for a divorce
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD

yeah, i mean when it's one guy, it's his name on the line. whereas someone working for a big company is pretty anonymous.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?