my friend has been play9ing guitar his whole life now(i'd say about 8 years) and me hwho is just coming up on one said that i wanted tobuy a gibson studio les paul. but he said that its basically the epiphone one with a gibson label. is this true?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_gibson_les_paul_studio_electric_guitar?full_sku=101392843

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_epiphone_les_paul_standard_electric_guitar?full_sku=101822443
Irs no scam, Epiphone is wat i call a sub-brand of gibson which is made cheaper 4 ppl like us who cant afford the "real thing" but Epiphones can be better than a gibson sometimes...........

Or simpler terms-Gibson-Made in USA-Better quality,Epiphones-Made in China/Korea-Good quality but not as good as gibsons

But still i feel gibsons are way over-priced unlike fenders
Last edited by FenderStRaT RS at Sep 9, 2007,
The Epiphone neck is completely different from a Gibson neck, but yes, you're basically paying for the name.
Sent from my iPad.
i've got an epi lp goldtop and I tested a gibson lp, I found mine actually better because it weighs half of the gibson (easier to handle,...), the humbuckers are the same of a standard gibson lp, same woodwork, little difference in the neck, but it has the same sound (and I truly mean the same!!!) so I paid 400 euro for my goldtop (I could sell it for about 1200 euro) while it costs about 2000-2400 for the same version but a gibson

so I'd advise you to buy a epiphone

Greetz,
zero
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vixen
Ibanez RG7321
Cort G210
Epiphone Les Paul 1956 Goldtop
Laboga Mr. Hector
Randall 4x12
Boss MT 2
Boss BD 2
Boss DD3
Korg Pitchblack
1. very different guitars. neck will feel different, they will play differently, sound different (different pickups). and you are partly paying for a name. dont compare epi standards to gibson studios. they are different. Epiphone Standards should be compared to Gibson Standards, Epi studio's to Gibson studios. if you have the money, yeah go for the gibson, you wont regret it. they are high quality, play great and sound great. if you're lacking in funds, go buy the epi, its still a good guitar. play them all side by side UNPLUGGED and pick whichever one feels best to you. ignore your friend saying to not buy a gibson
No gibson isnt an epi with a different name plate. But they are the same company. Fender has expensive and cheap guitars most companies do. The chinese arent that bad at building things. Ive been there and some of them are very good craftsman. They make some really nice furniture and not out of pressboard like we buy at walmart. The labor cost are vastly different there. What it costs for a soda here can buy a meal for 2 people there. And they dont have unions or much in the way of benefits. But just as americans can be trained to assemble things so can the chinese. Most of the wood for guitars comes from that part of the world. So whether its shaped on a CNC machine in china or here isnt much different. Where I live in kentucky people dont even use tapemeasures to build houses. So I certainly wouldnt let em build a guitar.
^are you saying gibson is incapable of building a guitar? cause you are SO wrong
oh and timzee good call
Never said GIBSON couldnt build a guitar, I was refering to the "craftsmen" who live in my area. Ive never had the opportunity to play a gibson never seen a left hand one in store I could try. What I was trying to say is there are good and bad craftsmen everywhere in the world. I know china has gotten a bad name with some of the low quality crap they send here. But I have also watched chinese craftsman make a beam for a temple with carved dragons on both ends with a chisel and a hammer. CNC machining takes alot of the guess work, screw ups and effort out of making a guitar body.
The Studio is still a made in USA Gibson, it's just the "No Frills" version of the LP with minimal aesthetic features.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by .smudged.
A high end epi would be better than a studio IMO

I personally would take an Epi Elitist over a Studio...it depends how much you get hung up on the name on the headstock.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
epiphone is a sub brand and you have to be very picky about which guitar you pick from them, i honestly wont play a epi LP unless its elitist, theyre the only ones that truely have a lp tone, with wiring thats not sub par, ive played gibsons for a long time now and honestly i would most likely take a gibson studio over a epi standard or elitist, studios are good guitars, theyre lighter, but they still maintain a heavy tone, you dont get a fancy flame top or binding but you still get a great sounding guitar and in the end thats what it should come down to a guitar that sounds great and feels right, not one that looks good
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
A friend of mine has an Epiphone les Paul standard, and he has changed the stock pickups with the most expensive Gibson ones (I don't know which ones, I am bassist), and has also replaced the stock tuners with some nice locking ones, and is playing through a Marshall avt100 (with some nice effect pedals). The guitar sounds really nice, and can really be compared with the Gibson studio (which is still more expensive than this modified guitar). So I would recommend the epi over the Gibson les Paul. But if you really want a Gibson, consider the standard.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Last edited by pagiatis at Sep 9, 2007,
Quote by timzee117
im probably just gonna go line up everyguitar and just test them all out

this is excactly what you should do
Quote by s.r.v.
1. very different guitars. neck will feel different, they will play differently, sound different (different pickups). and you are partly paying for a name. dont compare epi standards to gibson studios. they are different. Epiphone Standards should be compared to Gibson Standards, Epi studio's to Gibson studios. if you have the money, yeah go for the gibson, you wont regret it. they are high quality, play great and sound great. if you're lacking in funds, go buy the epi, its still a good guitar. play them all side by side UNPLUGGED and pick whichever one feels best to you. ignore your friend saying to not buy a gibson

If you play them unplugged, how exactly are you gonna compare the pick-ups?
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by steven seagull
I personally would take an Epi Elitist over a Studio...it depends how much you get hung up on the name on the headstock.

To order it online, I'd go with the Epi 10/10 times.

In the shop, if I could try out the Gibson LP studio, then I would probably go for it. Their studio series is hit or miss whether or not the quality is all there. That being said, if it's a well put together studio I would say Elitist LP < Gibson LP studio
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio