ive been playing for about 2 years now but am struggling to find tone and i feel that my playing sounds a little to sharp and aggressive however softly i try to play. i use a vintage advanced les paul type through a kustom high voltage amp with no effects. would i improve my sound by using effects, changing my pickups or by using better quality strings.
if you dont like me kiss my arss
I dont completely understand, what do you mean by agressive and sharp? Do you mean its loud when you pluck the strings ever so slightly?
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
well, it's probably the amp. i'm reading up on it and it has 2 high gain settings and 2 clean settings, which doesn't seem like the tones you're after.

your best bet is to start saving up for another amp. and for the meantime, maybe up the bass a little, and cut back on the treble and gain. and keep your mids up.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
well, it's probably the amp. i'm reading up on it and it has 2 high gain settings and 2 clean settings, which doesn't seem like the tones you're after.

your best bet is to start saving up for another amp. and for the meantime, maybe up the bass a little, and cut back on the treble and gain. and keep your mids up.

If I may add, if you are one who consistently uses the bridge pickup, use the neck, they tend to be quite nice and down to earth on ephiphone les pauls
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
what i meant to say was that the notes sound to short even when i try to get some sustain. would it be beneficial for me to get some sustain effects or a better set of pickups. i am a huge pink floyd and led zeppelin fan
Last edited by nimble at Sep 9, 2007,
adjust the pickup height, it really helps to dampen distortion/sharpness and make the tone more clear. if it's still sounding a bit sharp, turn the treble and distortion down, and turn up the bass and mid
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Do you use reverb? It actually took me a few years before I figured out what it was...lol
Also, try to get a consistent vibrato technique.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Tube amp, even with reverb solid state amps tend to have a "flat" quality to them. Also, like other people have said, neck pickup and make sure the pickups aren't too close to the strings.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
thanx for the advice. would a sustain pickup also help? it may sound like a stupid question but ive never used effect pedals before
a compressor would help out with sustain, but most likely it'll add a lot more noise/buzz/hum as it amplifies everything.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by nimble
thanx for the advice. would a sustain pickup also help? it may sound like a stupid question but ive never used effect pedals before

Nah - it's the amp situation you need to address...compressors are another funny one, more often than not they don't really help an overdriven tone, however you will notice an increase in sustain when using one with a clean tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The guitar is actually very nice. I guarantee if you change your amp to a GOOD one then your problem will be fixed.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
as i dont work (still at school) i cant afford to spend a lot on a new amp. is there anything i can do such as buying an effects processor to adress the problem. if a new amp is the only option can you please suggest one.
strum with your thumb, like Vai on tender surrender

or lower the gain/ turn up your mids