Well as some of you might know I recently bought an Ibanez "starter pack". Which by the time I got home to read the responses that said not to it was too late haha. I just have one question, it has a Humbucker pickup I think. The bottome pickup is like 2 in one, one right on top of the other. Well when I look them up only fat strats have those. Is my ibanez a strat or a fat strat? It says its only a strat on the box...

Also, a nylon band type of thing is wrapped around the pickup, do I need to take that off or is that a part of the pickup?
its a Fat Strat made by Ibanez. The body, mostly called a Super Strat, is an Ibanez. Buth the way the pickups are, its a Fat Strat.
You have a fat strat, I believe the nylon band is like a cover to protect your pickup, so i don't recommend you taking it off.
The nylon band is there to protect the pickup windings...don't touch it! And your guitar isn't a strat, or a fat strat, it's an Ibanez whateveritisyoubought. If you must have some kind of classification to satisfy your OCD then it's best described (because I can't actually see it) as a strat-type with HSS (Humbucker-single-single) configuration.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The two pickups basically joined together are called humbuckers
A fat strat usually has one humbucker next to the bridge and two seperate single pickups called single coils.
Other companies call their stratocaster shaped guitars that have one or two humbuckers super strats.
if that didn't make sense, wikipedia it, im sure that'll help
technically a superstrat usually refers to a particularly thin, pointy variation on the strat shape. I personally wouldn't refer to it as a strat anything as the guitar-playing world is full of those who prey on the less knowledgeable. If you call it a strat then surely you will be pwnt by them, and we won't be there to help you
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by joeymaxx
The two pickups basically joined together are called humbuckers
A fat strat usually has one humbucker next to the bridge and two seperate single pickups called single coils.
Other companies call their stratocaster shaped guitars that have one or two humbuckers super strats.
if that didn't make sense, wikipedia it, im sure that'll help

actually that made perfect sense lol thanks. It does have the single coils.

Thanks all you really cleared that stuff up for me. To bad this site has no reps

Oh and I will stick with "Ibanez fat strat" but I'm sure most ppl on here would just call it a POS haha from what I've read, there are not very many "ibanez strat" fans here... meh its a starter guitar to learn on
You should just call it whatever the model is called. Even the cheapo starter guitars have names.
Quote by Wiggly
actually that made perfect sense lol thanks. It does have the single coils.

Thanks all you really cleared that stuff up for me. To bad this site has no reps

Oh and I will stick with "Ibanez fat strat" but I'm sure most ppl on here would just call it a POS haha from what I've read, there are not very many "ibanez strat" fans here... meh its a starter guitar to learn on

No problem
A starter guitar is a starter guitar, everybody has a not-so-good first guitar, its how things are, just keep playing and if you know your commited go for a good second one
holy crap I cant believe I typed ibanez and the begging. I meant squier, but I don't think that makes a diff on whether its a fat strat or reg strat does it?
if its a squier and its got a humbucker, then the rightful name is a fat strat
pretty much any strat shape with a humbucker or two is a fat strat.
Last edited by joeymaxx at Sep 9, 2007,
Quote by Wiggly
holy crap I cant believe I typed ibanez and the begging. I meant squier, but I don't think that makes a diff on whether its a fat strat or reg strat does it?

LOL!