Alright, I'm just starting off with physics this year and I'm already so lost. Some questions from tonight's homework are:

1. If the speed of sound is 332 m/s, does a particle of air necessarily move at this speed?

2. If light travels forever in space, why does sound die off in air?

3. Does a music note of frequency 440Hz have the same wavelength in water as it does in air?

If anyone can answer any of the questions at all that would really help.

Thanks.
GEAR:
Vantage Ghost Gibson "The Paul" copy
Fender FM-100H half-stack
Regal vintage 30W class A amp head (handcrafted in Montreal)
1. no
2. sound waves lose energy as they travel
3. no, its gonna travel faster in the denser water, so the wavelength must be different
Last edited by Demons&Wizards at Sep 9, 2007,
1. no airparticles pass the energy produced by the soundwaves to eachother
2. soundwaves loose energy while moving through the air, light doesn't
3. I think it keeps the same frequency but other aspects of the soundwave change
Last edited by M0ly at Sep 9, 2007,
No

Lack of a medium I think.

Nope.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
hu needs physics? just bunk off skool and master air guitar
1. It's the wave that moves at that speed, not air.

2. The sound travels through a certain medium, which is never perfectly elastic, so the wave is attenuated.

3. Yes. Who the hell answered no? Wavelength and frequency are directly related, so it keeps both the same frequency, and the same wavelength. It's the speed that changes.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
1. sound travels at 334 ms-1 and thats trough an airless space. it depends on the wid of were ever you are.

because light only gets slghtly weeker when it goes along but sound gets weeker quicker. thats why there is a booster in your radio.
Quote by demonichild
1. sound travels at 334 ms-1 and thats trough an airless space. it depends on the wid of were ever you are.

because light only gets slghtly weeker when it goes along but sound gets weeker quicker. thats why there is a booster in your radio.

what? sound can only travel when there's a medium to carry it, sound can't travel through an airless space.
334m/s is just a constant used for physics problems, the actual speed of sound depends upon location, medium being sent through, air density etc etc
Quote by Mad Marius

3. Yes. Who the hell answered no? Wavelength and frequency are directly related, so it keeps both the same frequency, and the same wavelength. It's the speed that changes.

velocity = frequency X wavelength

so, if the velocity changes, one or both of frequency and wavelength must change
Quote by Dabey
velocity = frequency X wavelength

so, if the velocity changes, one or both of frequency and wavelength must change

Hmm. You're right.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.