I need something simple to amplify vocals when I'm jamming with my newly forming bands. It doesn't need to have any instruments going through it or anything, just something so when someone is trying to sing they can actually be heard.

I was looking at this: http://www.zzounds.com/item--MACSRM150

It seems to be perfect for what I need. Anyone have any experiences/advice/warnings/whatever?
if you have some percussion along with it, you won't be able to hear much out of it I think...

you might as well just buy a whole dynacord installation, if you really want to go further on with the band^^

Lw
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
About how much would that cost?

I'm only working with a budget of $300 - $500 or so. I don't need anything too complex, just as long as I or whomever is trying to sing can be heard.

Perhaps I could also get another speaker and add it to the SRM150?

I'm looking at the cheaper sound systems on zZounds at the moment, and these caught my eye:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALETRANSACT50
http://www.zzounds.com/item--NDYPA3

either of those look any good?
yea, they could be good, but they look more like home practising...
I never saw a combo PA befora, but it can't be as good as a normal one
it's better when you would have 2 monitors going to one PA... you could expand it later on... that'll cost you more than 500$ tough... I'll check the dynacord site.

W
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
well, I couldn't find anything just yet, but if I were you, I'd go to the nearest music giant and ask about this stuff... I also wouldn't buy the "combo PA", but I'd go for a controller leading to 2 monitors... that's because if you wanna pus more vocals on it or perhaps a keyboard, you wouldn't have to refresh your stuff everytime you get something new^^

Lw
Most decent venues will have their own PA's which will be far nicer than anything you can afford, and since this is only for practicing purposes I would recommend not spending an arm and a leg.

Frankly I have little experience in low-end PA's, so what I recommend is that you get one, test it out for a weekend with the band, and if it loud enough - keep it. If not return it for something else. The sound quality will not be great not matter what you get, so I assume you are only going by the "loudness" factor - which should be alright seeing as it is only for practicing.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by thrice_removed
Most decent venues will have their own PA's which will be far nicer than anything you can afford, and since this is only for practicing purposes I would recommend not spending an arm and a leg.

Frankly I have little experience in low-end PA's, so what I recommend is that you get one, test it out for a weekend with the band, and if it loud enough - keep it. If not return it for something else. The sound quality will not be great not matter what you get, so I assume you are only going by the "loudness" factor - which should be alright seeing as it is only for practicing.

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

I think I'm gonna go for the Alesis one. My Valve Jr. can be heard over my drums, and thats only 5 watts(though those are tube watts.) 50 should be enough, or at least louder than just cranking my computer speakers.
^ : ) Yes it should be far louder than your computer speakers (unless your computer speakers are 100 watt JBL monsters with 10" cones like what I listening to my computer with right now). : )
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by thrice_removed
^ : ) Yes it should be far louder than your computer speakers (unless your computer speakers are 100 watt JBL monsters with 10" cones like what I listening to my computer with right now). : )

Just out of curiousity, how are you driving those? I have a pair of Infinity studio monitors coming in (if the idiot ever get's around to shipping them) and would like to hang them off the PC here at the shop at least for the present. I'm just using the regular built in sound card on this system I know I will need an amp, there are plenty of good old stereo tuner amps around at good prices.

Thanks

Tony