ok so ive been playing for around the 2 year mark and ive always dow picked when palm muting one string then doing an open on the next i.e
A]------1-----
E]--0*------ x 10

i dont use alternate picking for this motion and it seems alien to me but ive been told this is wrong .
firstly is it wrong to pick in this way?
and secondly how would you go about breaking the habit of picking like this i cant seem to manage it
I do the same thing as you, the other way feels awkward to me
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
I'm the same.
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
im not a strict advocate of alternate picking, but i think it would greatly help you to try to break the habbit in this case. i cant imagine doing that with alternate picking
dude.......
Quote by the agony scene
ok so ive been playing for around the 2 year mark and ive always dow picked when palm muting one string then doing an open on the next i.e
A]------1-----
E]--0*------ x 10

i dont use alternate picking for this motion and it seems alien to me but ive been told this is wrong .
and secondly how would you go about breaking the habit of picking like this i cant seem to manage it

Congratulations, you've just invented economy picking

Seriously, don't worry about it - if you want to play quickly then it makes sense to make the most efficient motions available to you. Using the same downstroke is significantly faster than moving past the string to catch it with an upstroke../basically you've discovered it for yourself, which is good as some people spend years trying to get to grips with the concept.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
im the same way too, but ive ben practicing the other way. i figure it cant hurt to able to do it, even if i use the other way more.
**RIP In the Van on the Comeback Road**

Quote by confusius
You're going to have to go to the doctor. He is going to ram his finger up your ass and the rest you can imagine. It will be severly painful you are most likely to die in the process. Enjoy.
Quote by steven seagull
Congratulations, you've just invented economy picking

Seriously, don't worry about it - if you want to play quickly then it makes sense to make the most efficient motions available to you. Using the same downstroke is significantly faster than moving past the string to catch it with an upstroke../basically you've discovered it for yourself, which is good as some people spend years trying to get to grips with the concept.

i wouldnt call this economy picking because its not making it more effecient.

if he only does down strokes it is way harder to play fast
dude.......
Plus the otherway's stupid. If you try relaxing too much like with the down stroke you often accidentaly open up the first string.
Practice would solve this ofcoarse but still up stroking while palm muting just doesn't go together for me.
In the example he posted it's economy picking.

A]------1-----
E]--0*------ x 10

I knopw he said he's going from the A to the E, but he's doing it 10 times...that means he's also going from the E to the A. Strict alternate picking (which I always think is incredibly impractical for actual playing) would be down-up-down-up on alternate notes. He's alternating between strings, so although if you look at two notes in isolation the pattern is down-down A to E meaning he's coming back up after the A, the next two notes are two consecutive downstrokes from the E to the A

Technically the quickest way to play it would be picking between the two strings, but depending on the rhythm you want that may not be the "best" way to do it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
In the example he posted it's economy picking.

A]------1-----
E]--0*------ x 10

I knopw he said he's going from the A to the E, but he's doing it 10 times...that means he's also going from the E to the A. Strict alternate picking (which I always think is incredibly impractical for actual playing) would be down-up-down-up on alternate notes. He's alternating between strings, so although if you look at two notes in isolation the pattern is down-down A to E meaning he's coming back up after the A, the next two notes are two consecutive downstrokes from the E to the A

Technically the quickest way to play it would be picking between the two strings, but depending on the rhythm you want that may not be the "best" way to do it.

Correct me if im wrong, but from my understanding of what you just said. Wouldn't if be easier if you were to just rake up and down on the two strings?
Depends on the rhythm ofcoarse. But lets say he's playing a constant rhythm, then would it be less work of having to lift the pick all the time? It gets confusing.
maybe im not getting this example right.

because from what i understand he is going down down, and then coming back up, only to go down down again. this is stupid because he is wasting two strokes.

it would be like playing

E)-----5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

with only downstrokes
dude.......
Quote by the agony scene
A]------1-----
E]--0*------ x 10

I'm sorry but you need to clear up your example a bit man. Its kinda confusing.
Also to the last poster before me:
Well maybe he has a certain rhythm where he has to follow.
Quote by vboytan
I'm sorry but you need to clear up your example a bit man. Its kinda confusing.
Also to the last poster before me:
Well maybe he has a certain rhythm where he has to follow.

ok ill try
A]--------5-----------5------------5-------------------
E]---3*---------3*-----------3*---------------------

* represents a palm mute and the fives ae opens
i would play all in down strokes
downstroke the 3 then the 5 then repeat
but ive been told i should play down on the 3 upstroke on the five
hope this clears up what i mean

p.s thanks for all the help everyone on this
Ive seen in magazines there are some who say alternate picking is the only way to play anything. I didnt do it for a long time. But have found it does have some applications. Some things dont sound right if picked that way some do. So its pretty much do what works for you. Guitar is one of those things where there is no "this is the only way to do it things". If it was we would have run out of new things to play a long time ago.
Quote by the agony scene
ok ill try
A]--------5-----------5------------5-------------------
E]---3*---------3*-----------3*---------------------

* represents a palm mute and the fives ae opens
i would play all in down strokes
downstroke the 3 then the 5 then repeat
but ive been told i should play down on the 3 upstroke on the five
hope this clears up what i mean

p.s thanks for all the help everyone on this

Nope, your way is definitely the most logical way of playing it. Granted, you could do "inisde" picking but it'd be trickier to maintain the rhythm ttha way. Also if you're wanting maximum chug from the palm mutes then downstrokes are always preferable.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

O now I get your example. Ya dude both ways are just fine, actaully you can get more speed from alt picking (down3 up5).