Hey guys I was just thinking to myself. If you buy a very bad guitar, such as a Fender Squier for example. If you were to modify it by changing its pickups for example and lots of other things. Would if somehow become a good guitar? If so would this work for everybad guitar? Can I buy the worst guitar and make if good? Lol just a theory
Quote by vboytan
Hey guys I was just thinking to myself. If you buy a very bad guitar, such as a Fender Squier for example. If you were to modify it by changing its pickups for example and lots of other things. Would if somehow become a good guitar? If so would this work for everybad guitar? Can I buy the worst guitar and make if good? Lol just a theory

You can make it better by changing pickups and hardware, but if it's made of a cheap wood, or if the neck is bad, etc, it will never become a great guitar.
It depends on the quality of the wood, mainly. You can't improve that. Some Squiers are alright quality in that sense, but you can only improve it so much even with the best other parts.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Depends on the guitar. With a squier, you could virtually change everything because of the bolt on neck. You could change the neck, pickups, hardware, strings, electronics, tuners, and it would turn out to be amazing if it was made of alder.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
you can make it good i guess. but im not sure it would be worth it. unless its a guitar you REALLY like.
You could make it better. But if your Squire '51 or what ever the cheapest electric they have is made out of plywood then it will sound worse than the cheapest fender, like the 400 or 500 dollar MIM ones. That Chinese knock off of that Les Paul, even upgraded, will sound worse than the Epiphone top of the line, ect...
Quote by vboytan
Would you say the Squier Bullet has good wood?

Nah its made out of Agathis.Some higher end Squiers are really nice.Like the '52 tele,and the Jagmaster.As long as its not playwood or agathis it should be good.But sometimes woods vary in quality.So an alder Squier wont have as good wood as say a Custom shop Fender.But its still all preference.
You would probably end up spending more money than you need to. A better idea would be to look for a guitar that has a good neck, then swap out the pickups. Depending on your preference, you may also want a better bridge. If the tuners are REALLY bad, get new ones. That should give you pretty good sound and playability for around $500.
I need a new neck, but thats exactly what im doing to my squier standard strat, ive fit a hotrail to the bridge pickup, and the guitar is made of alder, so its gonna be a great guitar, its a very good guitar for me atm, and i might not even change then neck, because i can play perfectly well on that neck, but yes you can make a bad guitar good
Squier affinity tele or strat and the Squier '51 are the best squiers for modding IMO.
They have alder (51 has basswood) bodies and the rest is changable, and Squier necks usually get good feedback.
I've turned my Epiphone into a GREAT guitar (amazing, to be accurate)

Changed the pickups, and sanded the clearcoat off of the neck. The neck feels like HOT BUTTER!!!!
and a few cosmetic mods (plexi glass pickguard and electronic covers, black speed knobs)
it also came stock with chrome Grover tuners, so this guitar is pretty much SET
It's not a "Fender" Squier. It's just a Squier.

And it's more than the pickups that make a good guitar, it's the wood and construction as well.
Quote by vboytan
No acutally it is a Fender.

Why are you doing this if you have a Gibson Sg and les paul, Fender strat, and a PRS custom?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

I'm just curious. Also I wanna try something new.
And I feel kinda bad for this one cause it always just sitting there on the corner of my room doing nothing. I think it deserves a place someplace higher in its quality.
A Squier 51 would work good what for you want to do though.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.