yes! the time has FINALLY come, i have found a drummer for my band!

hopefully, small gigs i.e. pubs will be around the corner in the not too distant future, and i need a new amp.

theres a crate BT100 in sound control for £169 it certainly seems loud enough but it seems too good to be true.

i also tried an ashdown, it was like 180W but felt weedy, mind you i was on a cheaper bass then.

so, any thoughts? how many watts do i need? i only really need to keep up with a drumkit. is the crate going to be ****e? should i get a bigger rig alltogether

cheers bass forum
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Crate BT100 = not a gigging amp. It's an overgrown practice toy.

In my opinion, if you're in the UK, Laney and Ashdown are practically the only companies that produce good quality gear for an acceptable, non-extortionate price. Do give the Ashdown another go, and look for Laney RB's.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
go for an ampeg

they are the best!!
!PRS Custom 24 ten top!
Ric 4001!!
Fender Cyclone 2
2x Harmony Acoustics
Goya 107 Range Master

Quote by x8blitzkid8x
people ruin metal like a7x.
hmmm, i really had to crank the ashdown tho,

the volume on the crate never past 20% when i played it, and it was pretty damn loud
Quote by Caustic
Crate BT100 = not a gigging amp. It's an overgrown practice toy.

In my opinion, if you're in the UK, Laney and Ashdown are practically the only companies that produce good quality gear for an acceptable, non-extortionate price. Do give the Ashdown another go, and look for Laney RB's.

would agree, i've tried ashdowns before and they're really nice

also aim for 4 times what you're guitarist has, i would say probably around 400 watts for a small gig thats my preference

and you're probably not going to rattle any glass with a 100 watt, unless you turn the bass and volume way past any healthy level
Quote by Zar938
would agree, i've tried ashdowns before and they're really nice

also aim for 4 times what you're guitarist has, i would say probably around 400 watts for a small gig thats my preference

and you're probably not going to rattle any glass with a 100 watt, unless you turn the bass and volume way past any healthy level

The supposed rule of thumb is 3 times guitarists wattage, but I've played plenty of gigs with a 150w combo with a mic into the PA system and managed just fine. Not ideal, but fine.

400w would give you more power than you'd ever really need until you're well past the pub and club level.

And honestly, I've played around with a Crate BT100 before, and they are not impressive. It might seem loud in a guitar store demo room, but get yourself in a practice room with a drummer, guitar and vocals and you will start to feel it lagging. Take it to a gig and play to a room full of people on top of all that and you'll defiantely struggle.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
tbh, my guitarists only have practice amps, are we saying 3 times whatever they get?

and like 300 W anyway?
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
tbh, my guitarists only have practice amps, are we saying 3 times whatever they get?

If your guitarists only have practice amps... you're probably not gonna gig with 'em!

I'd say 180w (1x15 or xx10 speaker combo) is fine if you're playing with say, two guitarists, vocals and drums on a local pub/club level and your drummer isn't Hellhammer. Any extra headroom would help, but it won't be the end of the world if you can't get the power. There are plenty of ways around not having an endless reserve of power.

As for the "rule of three"/300w thing, I'd say it's a very loose guideline depending on how heavy handed your drummer is, what kind of music you play and at what volume, et cetera. It's pretty much essential to have more power than your guitarist(s), but I think with good EQing and sensible levelling by the rest of the band, the rule can be heavily bent.
Last edited by Caustic at Sep 9, 2007,
I totally disagree with you Caustic. I have a BT-50 and even IT has gigging power. (the type of gigs mentioned in the threadstarters post mind you.)
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Without wanting to cause offence, playing a live gig with a 50 watt 1x12 practice combo? I honestly can't imagine that would do the amp much good, nor your tone... if you could hear it at all.

I'm sure if I asked for it, more than enough experienced gigging bassists would support me on that. 50w is still firmly in the spare room/garage practice/coffee shop acoustic session range.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
I totally disagree with you Caustic. I have a BT-50 and even IT has gigging power. (the type of gigs mentioned in the threadstarters post mind you.)

for a gig, if all i had was a 50watt amp, with a single 12", i would go direct into the P.A. and use the amp for a footrest. no need to plug it in.
Edit: to rattle glasses, you need around 200watts, and a mic'd bass drum.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Sep 9, 2007,
Well its not going to be hitting the arenas any time soon, but it works, dont even need to crank it. Its probably the only 50 watt Ive ever played that allows that. Dont get me wrong, if I had the money itd be replaced by an Ampeg in a hot minute, but if your looking for a cheap means of getting heard without loss of tone, Id go with the Crate BT Series.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay

FUK

If you have the money, then I'd say buy bigger than you need now, it's always good to have room to breathe so to speak, and saves you shelling out again in the future. Also, make sure your guitarists get gigging amps, I've been lumbered with guitarists without gigworthy amps before and it means they have to try and use someone else's amps, which can be a pain at times.

I would recommend Ashdown, however my MAG C115-300 blew up at only half volume, speaker just went. I never really found it had that much power to it either if I did crank it up; my Behringer BX1200 combo has served me well, at a reasonable price, and I really like the subharmonics on it, you can order it with the footswitch as well which is really useful onstage.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
for a gig, if all i had was a 50watt amp, with a single 12", i would go direct into the P.A. and use the amp for a footrest. no need to plug it in.
Edit: to rattle glasses, you need around 200watts, and a mic'd bass drum.

Exactly! Thank you. If the drummer alone didn't kill it, the guitarists and PA systems firing up would leave it standing.

I hate to shoot people down completely when it comes to gear, as it's mostly personal taste, but I've never, ever seen anyone try and tell me a low end practice combo is all you need to gig with. I would stare in disbelief if I walked into a bar and saw someone playing through one with other electric instruments and a full drumkit in the band. And probably leave shortly afterwards because of the terrible SS-amp-pushed-to-limits clipping it would produce even trying to compete.

Crate are great for those on a budget who want to thump away with a few friends at home, or play a few open mic coffee shop type gigs with acoustic guitarists, but if you're serious and want to gig, be heard, and sound good in a full band situation, Crate's BT gear is not the way to go. Simple as that, really.

Hell, Crate even markets them as practice amp, loads them up with all the gimmicks that a bedroom bassist would need, and SoundControl has a plentiful supply of them at all times. That says everything. They're aimed at students in flats, teenagers just getting into the instrument and the married-with-kids-midlife-crisis-reliving-a-dream types who haven't already bought a motorbike or booked holidays to Thailand.

Quote by hadesdaman v.2
If you have the money, then I'd say buy bigger than you need now, it's always good to have room to breathe so to speak, and saves you shelling out again in the future. Also, make sure your guitarists get gigging amps, I've been lumbered with guitarists without gigworthy amps before and it means they have to try and use someone else's amps, which can be a pain at times.

I would recommend Ashdown, however my MAG C115-300 blew up at only half volume, speaker just went. I never really found it had that much power to it either if I did crank it up; my Behringer BX1200 combo has served me well, at a reasonable price, and I really like the subharmonics on it, you can order it with the footswitch as well which is really useful onstage.

Agree with the first paragraph. If you can afford it, buy more than you need because you may need it later and not have it if you cut costs now.

Second part, odd that a MAG would blow like that. I very rarely hear of it.

Unlike Behringer, whose amps I wouldn't use to wipe dog shit off of my shoes onto. I'd rather live with the smell.
I didnt mean at all to say that a Crate BT was all you needed. If your financially ****ed, the Crate BT series is the cheapest amp you can get that you could live with. As far as Ive seen.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay

FUK

Hmm, well I have a 120W 15"...but I'm not sure that'll do me any good for real gigging. I'm planning on adding a 6x10 (or just getting an 8x10) in the near future though with at least 600W.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
I have a crate bt50, it plays well over a drum set. At least in my basement lol, tone isnt the best when its cranked but it sounds decent.
My BT100 handled well with my band in a garage, with drums vocals and one guitar, until it cut out mysteriously on the weekend.
I'm saving for a nice EBS amp lol...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Tracy Elliots vs Ampeg

Massive debate with a shop owner about this, he claims Tracy Elliots walkl all over Ampegs and yet all my favourite bass players have Ampegs and from listening to some people messing about on Tracy Elliots, they sounded a bit crap

not played on either of them mind.....looking for something to possiblely buy in the following year after paying off my christmas present xox
I prefer the sound of a Trace Elliot over Ampeg, and I also like that Trace Elliott didn't outsource their entire production, even their top of the line models, to Chinese sweatshops.
1. Dont buy a behringer. I made the mistake of thinking "Ooh, 450 watts thats GOTTA be good" early on.
2. I have an ampeg 1x15 combo amp that was reletively cheap, and im happy with it. It keeps up with both drums and guitar, and my drummer loves to pound on his drums.
3. Just go for an ampeg. Youll be satisfied.
Quote by Fozzie3000
Tracy Elliots vs Ampeg

Massive debate with a shop owner about this, he claims Tracy Elliots walkl all over Ampegs and yet all my favourite bass players have Ampegs and from listening to some people messing about on Tracy Elliots, they sounded a bit crap

not played on either of them mind.....looking for something to possiblely buy in the following year after paying off my christmas present xox

They're both great. If you can try them both, preferrably side-by-side, do it. You'll like either one at that quality level, it's all a matter of taste and opinion.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Caustic
I prefer the sound of a Trace Elliot over Ampeg, and I also like that Trace Elliott didn't outsource their entire production, even their top of the line models, to Chinese sweatshops.

Thats why I like Laney, its British made stuff

Shame alot of stuff is being made cheaply in poor countries

Lucky bastards have decent amps to **** about with though
Quote by Fozzie3000
Thats why I like Laney, its British made stuff

Shame alot of stuff is being made cheaply in poor countries

Lucky bastards have decent amps to **** about with though

Well, the Richter series isn't made in the UK, but it's still quality. It has the Laney tone, which personally I don't find the lower end Ampeg stuff to have the Ampeg tone that everyone buys it for. Same with Ampeg, I only brought that up to flesh my post out from more than just "I don't really like Ampeg"

Laney's MIUK stuff is awesome, though. And I prefer Laney's tone to Ampeg anyhow.
Trace Elliot definitely knows how to use their wattage efficiently. They have anywhere from 9- to 12-band graphic eqs on their amps, so you need to know what you're doing to make it sound good, but man, they will sound good. I heard a guy using a Trace Elliot full stack, a 2x10 and a 1x15 and it filled up a small church while being extremely present in the mix. You felt that bass as well as heard it. He used some sort of Schecter, can't remember which, but it was nice.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I have the Ampeg BA115 100w, and it holds just fine with 2 guitars, a hard hitting drummer, and vocals. Get the Ampeg you won't be dissapointed
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
I have an Ashdown 4x10 MAG combo. Around 550 USD new, great price, great amp.