holy crap this is even harder than getting good A levels!
please someone give me some help, i really want to send off early and get good offers, and im the worst writer ever
Just write about extra-curricular interests, like playing guitar. Don't mention any enjoyment of alcohol or illegal drugs, and try and make yourself out to be a rounded character, ad possibly even mature and responsible.
Quote by as_i_lay_dead
holy crap this is even harder than getting good A levels!
please someone give me some help, i really want to send off early and get good offers, and im the worst writer ever

Woah, I don't even go back to sixth form till tomorrow.

I hate writing things about myself, because I'm (usually) pretty modest, and so trying to big myself up for other people is something I can't do well.

Luckily I play and have played several sports in my life, and sporting goals, which I think is something I can write about. Also, in a week I'm having my hair shaved off for charity (from being about 18 inches long to a number 1), I think that's something I can write about that will look good.

Other than that, I dunno. Just lie, say you go out with friends on a week end, have good communication skills and don't spend all day on UG .

We just get told that universities don't just want "brains on a stick".

EDIT: Whoops forgot to write about music, too. Just say you're in a band (even if it's not true, how will they know any better? Say you're splitting up because you're going to different unis) and that you write music as well as appreciate various forms of music from different cultures and things.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Yeah it's a bit of a wanker.

-2/3 to 3/4 should be academic. Why you want to do the subject etc.
The other part can be extra-curricular stuff, saving orphans etc.
Try not to lie too much. You might get caught out. A little exaggeration won't kill anyone...
What are you applying for. Just big up yourself. Say you enjoy hanging with friends, enjoy sports/movies whatever, mention you play guitar and enjoy learning new skills and say about your desire for your course. e.g.if u apply for computing, say something like 'ive always had computers and had a key interest ever since i was x years old'. Basically just write what u think they wanna hear and your a shoe in. The personal statement s not that hard, as long as u have the right qualifications and a good statement from another person, your gona get in the course.
ok, well its going to be hard to write such a big proportion on academics, although at least i genuinely enjoy what im applying for (politics n economics...well rock n roll) and yeah i can put in guitar and band stuff...
i agree with jamieB, i hate bigging myself up, really doesnt help when thats what it seems i must do
Don't make it too personal, I made that mistake. Apparently it's frowned upon to tell them how many times you've won the STD lottery.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
Don't make it too personal, I made that mistake. Apparently it's frowned upon to tell them how many times you've won the STD lottery.

What, did they criticise it and write back or something?

...there's a guid and everything :s

Also, don't fret about it. It aint taht important.

(Unless you're grades aren't up to scratch :p )
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I think you can get a UCAS interview by a teacher from your school who will give you examples and tell you exactly what to include. (we have that in my school + one of my mates) Ask around see if you have that too

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by Steve The Plank
Well, I'm not really applying to anywhere that needs UCAS points myself (ACM and ICMP) but I might as well do it too, for BIMM or something. My personal statement has been just at a paragraph long all summer xD
The paragraph I wrote is just bigging-up my music grades tbh :/

What on earth are those?

Quote by JamieB
What on earth are those?

:P

ACM = The Academy Of Contemporary Music
ICMP = Institute of Contemporary Music Performance
BIMM = Brighton Institute of Modern Music

Also looking into Guitar-X, but I'm not sure I can really trust them, considering their name is so god damn retarded.

All degree courses in Music Performance for guitar, with Music Business.
Quote by JamieB
What, did they criticise it and write back or something?

Apparently it turned out I'd given one of the admissions officer's daughters the clap, which was unfortunate
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Steve The Plank

Also looking into Guitar-X, but I'm not sure I can really trust them, considering their name is so god damn retarded.

Ah right, fair enough.

I thought maybe you were from Ireland or something, and they did things differently.

Quote by Yakult
Apparently it turned out I'd given one of the admissions officer's daughters the clap, which was unfortunate

Ouch.

Quote by Yakult

rofl

I should start writing mine soon...

Do personal statements really make a difference even if you've got the grades for the course you're applying for?
Quote by Telecaster_AGY
rofl

I should start writing mine soon...

Do personal statements really make a difference even if you've got the grades for the course you're applying for?

If you're grades are "allright" for the course then you should make it good.

But like, if you need four b's and you've got 4 a's...unless it's a highyl exclusive course you're not gonna need to worry about it.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Steve The Plank

Guilfy ACM? I live right near there so i'm possibly thinking of applying to do a year there before going to UNI
My course (physics with astrophysics) required me to get ABB, and I got a BBCD and they still let me in. That's the joy of physics: no-one wants to do it so they tend to be lenient
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
My course (physics with astrophysics) required me to get ABB, and I got a BBCD and they still let me in. That's the joy of physics: no-one wants to do it so they tend to be lenient

Hooray I plan on doing Physics/engineering so that's good news.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
I know a couple of people who went there but they had a bloody great time, like great teachers and guildfords got alot of musicians in it and a pretty good social background

Best luck to you getting in man

Wahay same
one last question, how long do you reckon i should make it? in terms of words? lines? characters.......etc
Quote by Steve The Plank
Thanks man ^^ I loved Guildford, it seemed very homely.

It is, it's got alot of good shops, Andertons just round the corner, good cinema, bars, good shops, a great milkshake shop 10 paces from Krispy Kreme doughnuts and alot of gig spots - you'll have a good time
Don't make it a huge essay. A few paragraphs should be plenty.

I hadn't anything to write about so wrote load of crap about being prefect and organising the school formal. I only had work experience worthwhile else to write about, and then added a few lines of crap at the end.
Quote by Cal UK

Its ****ing aweosme news! Im applying for engineering and i got bccd in my as levels! but resitis should have me at BBBD atlest not to mention trying my best to PWN this year!

My question is do you have to mention your grades in the statement? because mine are ****e for me really, and most of the course im applying to require BBB for the masters engineering, and some require ABB. Will it really matterif i cannotmeet the A? since engineering is so under applied for?
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by Yakult

I thought you only needed 3 Ds at Exeter? N00bs.

Quote by Cal UK

Quote by philipisabeast

Wahay same

Quote by x0rsist
Its ****ing aweosme news! Im applying for engineering and i got bccd in my as levels! but resitis should have me at BBBD atlest not to mention trying my best to PWN this year!

Whereabouts are you guys planning on doing it?

I'm looking at physics and maths primarily, or maybe physics and electronic engineering, still undecided.

I got 2 Bs [almost an A. Will resit] and 2 Es in my AS levels, haha, and a D in general studies. I'm only doing 2 A levels (3 inc. general studies) - but I think I'm taking further maths AS as well (maths and physics as A levels).

Luckily, my first choice (Glasgow) accepts general studies, my second choice (Heriot-Watt) only needs 2 A levels and my third, fourth and fifth choices (in no order; Leicester, Swansea and Loughborough) are points based. Well, actually, I'm not sure about Loughborough, I've forgotten. But I'm hoping I'll make it into Glasgow anyway.

Im thinking queens belfast or edinburgh because they have the best engineering in the UK. and ones only a 45 min bus journey away, though id rathe rmove away from home.
Gear:
Quote by x0rsist
Im thinking queens belfast or edinburgh because they have the best engineering in the UK. and ones only a 45 min bus journey away, though id rathe rmove away from home.

I was primarily looking at Edinburgh, but because of the 2 Es at AS (in fairness, I didn't like either of the subjects) I had to rethink. I'm still going to the open day though, and am staying the weekend there.

Hrm i'm not too sure about Uni, i'll start thinking about it this AS year

London Imperial would be good though, if expensive to live in

Edit:
Aswell as London being sodding expensive to live in, you need 3 A's in 2 science related subjects and maths + a B in an AS subject

V high
Last edited by philipisabeast at Sep 11, 2007,
Personal statements are a real bugger, I plan on doing physics (like other in this thread) but I don't want to rely on the lack of places as some uni's are still oversubscribed, such as Leicester They ask for BBB but they were still oversubscribed by a ratio of 3:1 (stats may be off thats from the open day)
Quote by JamieB
I was primarily looking at Edinburgh, but because of the 2 Es at AS (in fairness, I didn't like either of the subjects) I had to rethink. I'm still going to the open day though, and am staying the weekend there.

Ahh rewsit them? alot? janury and june?

My personal statement and ucas form have to be in by thursday!
Gear:
Personal statements are a bitch and they feel so unnecessary, it's like 'I've already got the grades, why the hell do I have to prove myself by doing this as well?' But as long as you manage to make most things in your statement relate back to your subject, you should be alright. My whole UCAS entry should hopefully be done in about a month.
Quote by x0rsist
Ahh rewsit them? alot? janury and june?

My personal statement and ucas form have to be in by thursday!

Nah, dropped them both.

I'm resitting one of my maths modules which should get my maths AS to an A (I was 5 UMS marks off). I might resit one of my general studies too .

I've picked up further maths as well as my A levels though, which means doing 2 years worth of work in a year on top of my normal A levels. Ouch.

Quote by SmarterChild
Personal statements are a bitch and they feel so unnecessary, it's like 'I've already got the grades, why the hell do I have to prove myself by doing this as well?' But as long as you manage to make most things in your statement relate back to your subject, you should be alright. My whole UCAS entry should hopefully be done in about a month.

aye relating them to what you want to do is the key to a good personal statement, you could sya "I enjoy reading books" but if those books arnt specifically related to your subject you want to choose why put it down?

And the real purpose of one is to sort of to differentiate between students and pick those who can bring something extra to the uni
i guess personal statements will help some of the less academics prove ourselves.
Gear: