I'm trying to figure out how to do a certain technique for solos. It's hard to explain but it sounds like raking over the strings before a glorious bend comes out. It makes the bend "explode" out of the "crashing" sound, if you can get what I'm saying.
Dyou mean like a sweep, or a bluesy rake?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
i think he means like a bluesy rake. You just mute the strings, and basically rake the pick over the muted strings and then like you say - pull off a nice mean sounding bend with lots of vibrato (in blues anyway).
Yeah, you mute the strings and 'sweep' across them, and then fit the note in at the end. Mark Knopfler does it a lot, as with many blues players.
yeah I use it cos I think it sounds awesome!

its just using either your picking or fretting hand (I use picking) and making mutes before your pick, i use it for more than bends, i use it for nearly everything
Quote by madmk
Yeah, you mute the strings and 'sweep' across them, and then fit the note in at the end. Mark Knopfler does it a lot, as with many blues players.

SRV did it quite a lot as well. But yeah, just mute the strings with your fretting hand (you could use your picking hand, but I think it's easier and sounds better using the fretting hand.) and then right at the end of the rake just bust out a nice bend. I hope that makes sense, it's kinda hard to explain.
Thanks Jayez, I wanted to learn that too but is this the way you do it for hard rock distortion too? Here's an example of Zakk doing it frequently (look at that bend at 45 seconds in). It's not just a regular bend there's some rawness before it that I'm looking for (oh and its a freaking awesome solo btw).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HFQOZ8mL4-g&mode=related&search=