God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Mids are your friends Boost them to cut through the mix in a band situation.
A bass guitar is a bass instrument, drums are the treble, and the Elec. Guitar is midrange.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
mids take ur distortion from empty-sounding, trebly crunch to a full-toned, louder, more round-sounding distortion. Clean, mids make u sound more like an electric guitar rather than an almost acoustic sound. cutting out mids completely does suck some tone.
Quote by -heartbreaker-
they add middles.

Haha! I was surprised at how hard I laughed at that

In practical terms, 'mids' are the frequencies that give the guitar the main full body of its sound, normally you add bass if you need a lower sound and treble of you require better higher tone. Cutting mids is a technique often used in modern metal, but normally one requires a mid boost when playing with a band, as explained by a user above me.
Love is not a victory march.
As Yngwi said guitars are a midrange voiced instrument. Cutting your mids too drastically only lets the low and high end come through, resulting in a muddy, undefined sound that will not cut through the mix in a band. Like playing a bass guitar and breaking glass. No balls. I would not go below 4 for mids. I like mine at 6-8 for most music. Sometimes 9, or for a very inadequate amp maybe even 10. Mids are where you get your best beefy distortion on a tube amp (as opposed to buzz-thump.)
Quote by qotsa1998
mids take ur distortion from empty-sounding, trebly crunch to a full-toned, louder, more round-sounding distortion. Clean, mids make u sound more like an electric guitar rather than an almost acoustic sound. cutting out mids completely does suck some tone.

Cutting out any EQ control sucks tone.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by kmf1
Quote by Crimson_Eve
please god dont scoop the mids. Running no mids through an expensive amp is like using reg fuel instead of super in a Ferrari. It just doesnt let your amp show off how good it is.

its like buying a hooker but just having polite conversation with her

i think that says it pretty good
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by FrenchBread
i think that says it pretty good

that one was my fave.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Yngwi3
Mids are your friends Boost them to cut through the mix in a band situation.
A bass guitar is a bass instrument, drums are the treble, and the Elec. Guitar is midrange.

Have you tried a Dimarzio Steve's Special? They have a slight scooped voicing, but are meant to cut through the mix...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?