Ok so I am wanting to get a tube combo amp, but I don't really play gigs. I jam at home and with friends mainly. I play mostly metal, and also some hardcore and rock. I love the peavey 5150/6505 but the 212 combo is too big for what I need plus I could get a 112 cheaper. I want about a 1x12 or 1x10 tube combo that can handle the music I play, something that sounds good at lower volumes but can be cranked up some when I need to play with friends or a drummer.

I am currently looking at the Peavey XXX but I havn't got to play it yet. How does it handle metal and rock? I heard it was kind of bright. any other amp recomendations? I guess a thrash metal sound is mainly what I'm looking for, good gain and screaming pinch harmonics, similar to hammett and dimebag I guess, but a wide variety of metal sounds.

I will be using an Ibanez S520EX with EMG 81/85 pups.

oh and I live in the U.S and will most likely be buying from musicians friend.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
yeah, the xxx is quite bright, but it sounds like it'd do the tones you want. at least, the head version will (i haven't tried the combo).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by PlayTheMetal
I will be using an Ibanez S520EX with EMG 81/85 pups.

Slightly off topic, but I plan on getting an EMG 81/60 set for my S520EX, did you notice much difference over the stock pickups? And how easy are they to install in the guitar, since it's pretty thin and you need room for an 8V battery?

Cheers.
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Peavey rocks.
The 5150 or the XXX sounds good for you.
I have a classic, and their durability and tone quality is excellent.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Persata
Slightly off topic, but I plan on getting an EMG 81/60 set for my S520EX, did you notice much difference over the stock pickups? And how easy are they to install in the guitar, since it's pretty thin and you need room for an 8V battery?

Cheers.

I didn't install them, I had it dropped off at a shop, but I havn't got to play it with the new pups because I recently sent the guitar home to have it done, I am deployed right now in kuwait but I go home in like 3 weeks.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo