I know its an acoustic song but I'm learning on an electric right now sooo.... ya know

ok so in one part of the song my first finger has to be on string 5 on teh first fret, and my third finger has to be on string 4 on the third fret. When I do this (my hands are kind of small) my wrist has to bend almost 90 degrees and the bottom of my first finger is still up against the first string. is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Do I need to overcome habits like this?
You mean a power chord? You definitely should not have to put that much effort in to do it. And unless your hands are exceptionally small there shouldn't be any excuse that you can't find an easier way to do it. That said, how old are you? If you're a younger kid then I can understand how that might be problematic. If that's the case do you have a junior guitar or a standard sized one?

Take a look at this picture for correct fretting hand position:
http://mjspublications.com/low_band/images/chords/02.jpg
Last edited by mattvl at Sep 9, 2007,
... im 19 . Oh and no its not any particular chord I know. Although I only know 3 right now. Its my hand in that position and I only strum strings 5 and 4. After thinking about it, I think I might be holding the guitar wrong... ima go search for a vid that shows me how to hold it right in case I am...
Make sure your thumb is on the back of the neck, not over the top or you're going to run into problems.
Quote by mattvl
Make sure your thumb is on the back of the neck, not over the top or you're going to run into problems.

i do that all the time and i have no problems.
its actually easier so you can hit the root notes with your thumb
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
It's easier at the start, yes. But when you get into the more complicated chords you may not find it so helpful (that said alot of people get along fine that way, it's just a habit that's easier to get rid of when you're just starting out). Though there are some chords/etc that do require the thumb over the top as well.
well, you seem like a newcomer to guitar, knowing 3 chords, so it'll come. give it time
Fender MIM Standard lefty strat (midnight wine, sexy i know)
Vox DA15
Quote by rock.meet Slash
oh yes but do they have....THE PIT?

Quote by rickmeister
Stealing is cool again? Sweet, I'm gonna rob a Subway brb
Quote by mattvl
It's easier at the start, yes. But when you get into the more complicated chords you may not find it so helpful (that said alot of people get along fine that way, it's just a habit that's easier to get rid of when you're just starting out). Though there are some chords/etc that do require the thumb over the top as well.

dude i'm in jazz band and theres a lot of complicated jazz chords, and i still am just fine
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
"that said alot of people get along fine that way"

I hear you, and John Frusciante is an excellent example of using that to your advantage. Again, there are alot of people who get along fine that way, but I still think it's a good idea to learn to keep it behind the neck and then use it if you need to. I'm not saying it's the way it has to be, just my opinion.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
TS I say stop learning that version and just get started on the Derek & The Dominoes version. So much more rockin'

they both offer different things. i like both, but yes D and D is more rockin hehe
Fender MIM Standard lefty strat (midnight wine, sexy i know)
Vox DA15
Quote by rock.meet Slash
oh yes but do they have....THE PIT?

Quote by rickmeister
Stealing is cool again? Sweet, I'm gonna rob a Subway brb