I own a marshall mg30dfx at the moment and have recently started to practice regularily with my band and im not sure if i should change my amp to an orange crush 30r because i have been lead to believe it will benefit our style of music. We play mainly oasis, stone roses and frequently old british rock music (rolling stones etc.) .

Ignoring the fact that the marshall i have has a few crappy effects built in (which i intend to replace with pedals anyway), i just wandered if anyone could show me the path to enlightenment and tell me which is the better amp and if it is worth changing it .

cheers
i haven't tried it, but i doubt it's worth changing- orange get their good name from their expensive tube amps.

vox valvetronix ad30vt may be worth considering, though, if you can get a reasonable trade-in for the marshall.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The MG's aren't that good at all. You'd be much better off with the Orange. I've never played one, but I've always heard great things about Orange amps. As far as the classic British rock sound, I've heard Orange is the way to go.

EDIT: ^ This orange isn't tube? If not I have no idea about it then. I've only heard things about Orange tube amps.
My Gear:

Agile AL-2000 (Tiger-Eye)
Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez TS-7 Tubescreamer [Keeley Modded]
Although orange are a top notch manufacturer the orange crush is just another low-end SS amp, it will be better than the MG but not a difference REALLY worth paying. save up some more and get yourself into the world of tubes, or save up enough to buy a solidstate/hybrid/modeller that's worth upgrading to.

how much money do you have/willing to save up to? What music do you play? Will you be gigging any time soon?
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I agree with those saying Vox. The Orange Crush amps are quite disappointing compared to there valve amps (sorry gotta say valves im british :P)
Yep go Vox. I got mine recently and I am really happy with it
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by PendulousThread
I agree with those saying Vox. The Orange Crush amps are quite disappointing compared to there valve amps (sorry gotta say valves im british :P)

Thank you!

There's not really much that I can say that hasn't already been repeated. The Crush amps aren't terrible, and you could do a lot worse, but compared to a lot of other SS amps they're not great. So I'll throw half a vote to the Vox, and another half to saving up for a valve amp. Because the latter may not be easy to go about for the thread starter.
Well I'll tell u everyfin i can about my Gear, Band etc. and see what you all come up with.

I have a standard epi les paul with a boss dual overdrive sd-2 pedal. A few of the songs we play are live forever, sally cinammon, i am the resurection, sympathy for the devil.

we hope to be gigging in the next year but we want o get our setuup roght first.

i just looked up the vox thing would it be worth upgrading to the vox ad 50vt??

the highest the orange goes to in the combo size amps is a 30, is that loud enough for a small gig??

Thanks guys massive help
A 30 watt valve amp, yes. A 30 watt SS amp would struggle, and most likely not do it at all. So you'd be looking at something like 50 watts from an SS amp in order to gig. But... if you could afford it, a valve amp would most likely be a better choice for you.
I have an MG30DFX and I would kill anyone I know for an Orange. I don't know anything about the Orange Crush though, so all I can say is if you have the opportunity, you should definitely get a better amp. Maybe a Valvetronix or something.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
Ok valve seems to be the way to go. am i looking at a massive price increase for a valve amp?? i'm guessin the vox ad50vt is a valve amp??
^ I've gigged with an un-mic'd 15w SS amp to 300 people before, worked absolutely fine (Peavey Blazer 158) but yeah.. it was a bit sloppy sounding at such volumes, i've also had people 8 doors down complain lol. anyway point being, 30 watt tube/valve amp will handle gigs fine (think 80watts solid state)

the Vox is a hybrid amp (meaning it has a pointless tube in there) BUT it is a modelling amp that models other tube amps reasonably well. A massive improvement on the MG
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by deanco1991
Ok valve seems to be the way to go. am i looking at a massive price increase for a valve amp?? i'm guessin the vox ad50vt is a valve amp??
The AD50VT is half Valve
So if i changed to a vox ad50vt i am looking at a great improvement and an amp more than capable of gigging and is capable to resemble the style of music i play??
^ yup
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by deanco1991
So if i changed to a vox ad50vt i am looking at a great improvement and an amp more than capable of gigging and is capable to resemble the style of music i play??

You bet. The Vox is awesome for british tones.
thanks guys you have been a huge help.

now then....... is anybody interested in buying a state of the art, top of the range Marshall MG30DFX amp. mint condition 2 months old. And just £75 WHAT A STEAL!!
Quote by deanco1991
thanks guys you have been a huge help.

now then....... is anybody interested in buying a state of the art, top of the range Marshall MG30DFX amp. mint condition 2 months old. And just £75 WHAT A STEAL!!

Nice try
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Oh well it was worth a try. how much does anybody reckon i could shift this thing for?. Given that nobody ever EVER reads this thread and finds out how crap it is??
would a vox ad30vt be a good amp for gigging or is it worth waiting a getting the 50 watt?
either way would it be worth going the bit further for the 50 or would the 30 suit my needs okay?

thanks guys
thanks alot might consider it. How much do u think i could sell my mg30dfx on ebay for? its practically brand new in mint condition??
Quote by deanco1991
thanks alot might consider it. How much do u think i could sell my mg30dfx on ebay for? its practically brand new in mint condition??

Between 100 -150 dollars plus shipping... so that's like 50- 75 pounds right?
Quote by deanco1991
Given that nobody ever EVER reads this thread and finds out how crap it is??

Haha good luck there have been hundreds of threads with mgs and bad in them
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'd check the Laney VC15, then. Goes for 220 quid.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vc15-110/67333

Really great amp for British rock sounds. See if you can try it out sometime.

seconded, i didn't realise deanco was willing to go to £200... the vc15 would be absolutely great for those tones!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Damn, forsak beat me to it..Was just about to post, if you're spending that kind of money on a Vox ADVT50, you might as well go for a Laney.

Laney all the way. It's a valve amp, and it's more than perfect for your British tones. It BREATHES Britishness.
agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know im late and kinda jumpin the bandwagon, but the VC15 really is a great amp which is pure british-ness in a box, real nice.
sweet guys. I've gone from a mg30dfx to an orange to a vox ad50vt and now to a laney vc 15. this really has been an emotional journey.

thank you.
^ but your choices keep getting better. i guess ill jump the bandwagon too. Though i have played one and it was perfect, i almost bought it but i didnt have the money at the time
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!