Page 1 of 3
Has anyone seen this movie? I just watched it the other night and it really opened my eyes to alot of stuff... even stuff about me i didn't realize. haha. anyway...
thoughts, comments, questions?
"If its the audience whos a bit lagging we just kick em in the nuts till they wake up!"
Bruce Dickinson-Iron Maiden

My Gear:
RG 2? (its white with EMG's)
Crate GT220, 120 watts of absolute awesome!
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Saw it, it sucked.

why do you say that?
"If its the audience whos a bit lagging we just kick em in the nuts till they wake up!"

My Gear:
I thought it was okay, but I would have done a lot of things differently.

I'd have removed the more unecessary interviews and put more effort into describing metal in general rather than just genre wanking.
Quote by Renka
\ and put more effort into describing metal in general rather than just genre wanking.

WHAT!.......They did like a whole chart with every kind of sub genre you can name with a bunch of examples for each.

I loved it actually. With him being at Wacken and everything, showing all the great things about metal. He approached it in the right way and it just makes you feel so proud to be a Metal fan.
Guitar:
Jackson DK2T Dinky
Schecter Damien 6
Ibanez ARC100-BS w/ Seymour Duncan JB
Amp:
Roland Cube 30x
Last edited by dcloud at Sep 9, 2007,
Quote by dcloud
WHAT!.......They did like a whole chart with every kind of sub genre you can name with a bunch of examples.

Thats true! lol they even mentioned metal core and stuff...

My Gear:
i have that movie-great film, and Sam Dunn seems like a great guy. I wish it was longer though!
I own it. It'd be a good movie for someone who knows next to nothing about the genre to kind of get a hang of what metal is about.
lol that was freaky the dude was like wats ur inspiration he takes a sip of his wine and goes SATAN
Quote by Honkers
why do you say that?

I dunno, it was just... bad. I didn't learn anything new from it, they didn't even begin to cover underground bands.

Quote by dcloud
WHAT!.......They did like a whole chart with every kind of sub genre you can name with a bunch of examples for each.

As I said, they only covered the popular genres. Crossover? No. Ambient? No. Sludge? No. Doom? No. Progressive? No. Electronic... You get the picture.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Sep 9, 2007,
good movie, very informing

Quote by MetalMusicianAl
lol that was freaky the dude was like wats ur inspiration he takes a sip of his wine and goes SATAN

lmao, yeah he's ****ing brutal.
Quote by Karl Sanders
its like a four finger, diminished thingy
I thought it was great, I wish they'd do more stuff like this and give a deeper look into metal.
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
I'd have sit down with one person at a time, someone who's synonomys with metal music (like Halford, Iommi, King etc.) and let them describe their vision of metal and devote the film to just a couple of persons images of the genre and lifestyle. 3-5 people with backgrounds from different parts of the world and with roots in different sub-genres.

That way you can get into more depth than just 30 second clips from an assload of people and some random clips from live shows.
I guess I'd be more for the initiated fan that way rather than someone who's not already familiar with the genre though.
i do wish it was WAY longer... it had so much more to talk about and to interview.

I loved it when Twisted Sisters guy had to go to court, didn't even dress up and pulled his speech out of his back pocket. lol. that was great.

My Gear:
Some of the bands were incorrectly placed under the whole flow diagram's genre's IMO.

Machine Head is NOT Metalcore as far as I am concerned.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
I've got a comment for you - fuck you
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his
I liked it. I'm not sure how they figured Hendrix was early metal though.
Great movie, but I wish they talked more about melodeath and Black metal.
Gear:

Ibenez RG5EX1
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt combo amp
Ibanez Xiphos (Soon I'll have it )

I don't give a if you HATE ME!-Bodom

I thought it was cool, you have to remember, its his opinion, so some of it isnt gonna be the same reasoning and thoughts as you. I liked it how they showed the good and bad side of metal, i thoguht that was pretty cool. I just personally wish it had more information, cause i would think that most metal-heads would at least know 90% of what he said.
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......?
....\__________.?
Quote by GuitarSacrifice
I thought it was cool, you have to remember, its his opinion, so some of it isnt gonna be the same reasoning and thoughts as you. I liked it how they showed the good and bad side of metal, i thoguht that was pretty cool. I just personally wish it had more information, cause i would think that most metal-heads would at least know 90% of what he said.

yeah I didn't really learn anything new, except for how insane the whole norweigian black metal scene is. Those guys are nuts,lol. I still really liked it though. It made alotta good points.
yeah, it really showed me alot of stuff about myself i never realized. and some of those black metal guys are nuts. gorgaroth and mayhem are prime examples of the crazys.

My Gear:
i wish i bought it but it is on tv a lot
I really liked it, wished it was longer though
I thought it was pretty good. I got a lot of points right and some IMO wrong. I also got a little annoyed at the slipknot interviews when talking about Black Sabbath. Corey mentions that you dont think of any other band except Sabbath whenever you see an inverted cross. THEY NEVER USED AN INVERTED CROSS!!
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?
Quote by HedBanger24/7
I thought it was pretty good. I got a lot of points right and some IMO wrong. I also got a little annoyed at the slipknot interviews when talking about Black Sabbath. Corey mentions that you dont think of any other band except Sabbath whenever you see an inverted cross. THEY NEVER USED AN INVERTED CROSS!!

What would you expect from an ass... The only band that I think about when I see an inverted cross is Deicide.
Goddamn, I've never seen this and always wanted to. So I finally started the download haha. I shall see what all the hype and gripe is about... Even though it's like 4 gigs, so it'll prolly take a week lol from a torrent.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
i wished it was longer. the family tree didnt consists of all subgenres, it contained all the genres under metal and SOME subgenres (eg. power metal, doom metal).
^^Download the avi format file. Its going to be like 700 MB or so.

The movie was pretty good. Found the section on hair metal a bit boring though.
please excuse any typos or grammatical errors in the above post.

My Last.fm
Quote by CaptainOfSmug
Goddamn, I've never seen this and always wanted to. So I finally started the download haha. I shall see what all the hype and gripe is about... Even though it's like 4 gigs, so it'll prolly take a week lol from a torrent.

You can stream the whole thing from here.
i thought it was interesting. i didn't like how there wasn't much interviews/footage of extreme metal bands and all. Also, i thought his purpose of making the documentary was pretty stupid. Why has metal music been banned, censored, condemned?
The trouble with nude dancing is that not everything stops moving when the music does.

Last.fm
Quote by Honkers
yeah, it really showed me alot of stuff about myself i never realized. and some of those black metal guys are nuts. gorgaroth and mayhem are prime examples of the crazys.

yeah. those guys who burn the churches down are really showing more intolerance and hypocrisy than the people they're targeting. it's stupid
it was ok, but it was focused on the image of metal, not so much the music.
Read my post. Not this.
I like it alot. I think it did exactly what it was supposed to; give insight into metal
culture, and give info for people who don't know the genre. It also gave cool interviews with different personalities in the genre, which gave insight into what the people behind the music are actually like. To those who complain about not learning anything, what more is there to learn? I know **** loads about this genre and its origins, and if I made a movie out of that stuff for a mainstream demographic, it would sell all of about three copies. Thismovie was informative to probably 90% of those who saw it. If you frequent a metal forum, then you should probably know enough about this genre that what would be new information to you, would be meaningless to most people without knowing the basics of what metal is all about.
Quote by HedBanger24/7

"The original release had a gatefold sleeve and generic Vertigo 'swirl' inner bag. The inside of the sleeve featured the words "Black Sabbath" on the left side (spilling over slightly onto the right side) and on the right side, an inverted cross. A short poem was printed inside of this cross. Reportedly, the band had no input in the sleeve design and certainly have never used an inverted cross as artwork since."

technically, they did.
Page 1 of 3