When I first got my guitar, the knobs were falling off of the pots, so some jackass at the store super glued them on!

I know nail polish remover can dissolve it, so could I take the PG completely off (remove the pickups too) and just dump some remover on that area?
that would be a good way to go about it. The alternative is that you could yank directly up on the knob and it is possible it would come off.. not a slow pull but a swift yank. Super glue is brittle, and you might be able to break the seal.
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
Careful! Nail Polish remover may damage your finish too! It sounds like you won't want to save the knobs anyway after removal as they'll be buggered up due to the glue. One thing you might try is carefully cut slots in the top of the control knobs (hacksaw, dremel etc) and then use a large slotted screwdriver to split the knobs by prying in the newly cut slot! (you may have to score the sides of the knobs as well to help with the splitting) You can then clean up the stuff remaining on the pots shaft with nail polish remover via Q-tip to avoid excess being applied. If you find the shafts of your pots are also slotted, then the store guy was indeed an idiot as all he had to do to provide better grip was widen the slot.
Attachments:
split knobs.jpg
im pretty shure the cut slots in nob idea wont work
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
If your not going to use the nobs again, I'd suggest attaching a pair of vice grips to it, and giving it a bloody good yank... if you wana keep the nobs and have them look pretty decent, put a kinda thick cloth in between the nob and the grips.

This may take a couple of tries to do slipage, but also make shure you have the guitar braced, your going to be useing a good amount of force in a short period... and watch your balance when they come off.
Last edited by WickedBeast666 at Sep 9, 2007,
No offense guys, my proposed technique involved weakening the knob structurally to enable it to be removed. I work for a Defense company and we're making hi-tech prototypes all the time! (I personally designed the entire cabling system for the Canadian Military's 8ACCS portable airport system a few years back and have designed and made many test fixtures as well). During proto development it's often necessary to do things strangely to get around unexpected results. Pulling with great force may work but the more force applied the greater the potential for damage.
Last edited by KenG at Sep 9, 2007,
Quote by KenG
No offense guys, my proposed technique involved weakening the knob structurally to enable it to be removed. I work for a Defense company and we're making hi-tech prototypes all the time! (I personally designed the entire cabling system for the Canadian Miltiary's 8ACCS portable airport system a few years back). During proto development it's often necessary to do things strangely to get around unexpected results. Pulling with great force may work but the more force applied the greater the potential for damage.

I accually like your idea, and belive it would work. The only problem with it is, it gets very techincal "doesn't seem like it does but it does." You have to make shure you get it centred, because it may not crack down the pole. It should but it may not, and then the plan is down the drain. May end up with a nice peice of plastic still stuck to it.
Everyone owns a hack saw. Take a hack saw to the knobs, and buy some new knobs at your guitar store for $2.00.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by KenG
No offense guys, my proposed technique involved weakening the knob structurally to enable it to be removed. I work for a Defense company and we're making hi-tech prototypes all the time! (I personally designed the entire cabling system for the Canadian Military's 8ACCS portable airport system a few years back and have designed and made many test fixtures as well). During proto development it's often necessary to do things strangely to get around unexpected results. Pulling with great force may work but the more force applied the greater the potential for damage.

wow way to be an arrogant asshole, if you havent notice guitar knobs and military cables are infact diffrent. it doesn't work. even so i tihnk he wants to keep the knobs, which case your idea doesn't work

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
Quote by t heff
wow way to be an arrogant asshole, if you havent notice guitar knobs and military cables are infact diffrent. it doesn't work. even so i tihnk he wants to keep the knobs, which case your idea doesn't work

Woah, chill out. You don't know it doesn't work. Also, knobs are only $2.00, and if breaking them is the only way, so be it.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
haha! yes! flame war, and we're not even to the second page yet!

but yeah, put some cloth inbetween a pair of pliers and pull up on it. can't promise it won't damage the pots though...
I second the warning about being careful with nail polish remover. It will eat the finish off your guitar if you let it soak for a few seconds. It may take the clear coat off just by getting it damp and wiping it off.

If you're going to use nail polish remover, the key ingredient is Acetone. They make acetone-free nail polish remover. Once I got my fingers stuck together really bad when a tube exploded on me... and my wife only had acetone free remover. That was an awful waste of time.

Also sounds to me like splitting the knobs is a great solution.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Could you not just heat them up with a hair dryer or something? Hot things expand so I'd expect the glue bond to crack, just not too hot that you start melting the PG and knobs though, no one likes a melted knob.

Also how much gap is there between the PG and the underside of the knobs? a thin pair of open scissors could be used to lever them off, use a bit of cloth or an old credit card on the PG to stop damage
i think aplying aceton on the area , with a que tip is still worth a shot

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
The area between the pickguard and knob is very small. I doubt he would be able to get a Q-Tip in that gap. Also with nail polish remover/acetone it's possible the plastic will weaken. If you don't want the knobs anymore, I would remove the pickguard assembly from the guitar (de-solder the ground and jack connections and remove the pickguard completely from the guitar). You can get a small glass bowl or sup and soak the knobs by themselves if you rest the pickguard upside down and only allow the acetone to touch the knobs. An hour or so and they should be nice and soft and should be removed easily. New knobs are cheap and easy to get. Yanking will more than likely pull the shaft completely out of the pot if you own a cheaper guitar. Even the good pots are easy to break when it comes to the shaft. But again, you need to consider. Knobs are cheap, good Alpha pots are about $1.50 each. You could rewire the entire thing with new pots, caps and knobs for around $10-$15, maybe even do a wiring mod or two while you're under the hood.
Quote by t heff
i think aplying aceton on the area , with a que tip is still worth a shot

How can you misspell Q-Tip?

I'm just joshing you.

You could also use a syringe or an eyedropper to drop acetone or whatever onto the pot while the guitar is upsidedown.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I've had that happen to me before too..

Don't use acetone. Theres no way to get acetone inside the knob without getting it on your guitar. If you want the pots to be salvageable, do what Ken G said. Trying to just rip it off isn't likely to work.
i think just getting a new pickguard and new new pots will do better for him than a ****ed up looking pickguard with crums and **** around the knobs. (nail polish remover dissolving the plastic)
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Heat, nail polish remover, and the cut a slit method could all work but they are not without risk. Nail polish remover is probably the least risky (as long as you take the pickguard off the guitar and remove your pickups) and chances are, when you are done, all the parts will be usable but it means you have to pay for nail polish remover and it means you have to compleaty take everything off the pickguard which takes a while. Cutting the knob and breaking it off could break your pot too but it shouldn't hurt the pickguard. Heat along might melt everything so that is pretty risky just because you would have to get the temp so high but a combo of cutting the knob and adding just a little heat to soften the glue would increase your chances of saving the pot and decrease of the risk of melting everything.

In the ends, pickguards and pots are not that expensive so it's not the end of the world if you do break them.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Sep 11, 2007,
i think alot of these ideas could work not knowing what kind of knobs they are metal plastic i assumed they are plastic bc in his rig info it says squire strat..dude get some vice grips and grab it on the sides and ajust the vice grips so when u squeeze it clamps down hard enough to break it..then if there is some plastic stuck to it then use some acetone.
My idea,

Cut a large slit in the top of the pot as shown above. Try using his method of using the screwdriver to split it. You can also try a pair of pliers to squish it.

What happened recently to me, i put some contact cleaner in my pot as it was very scratchy, the knob just cracked into a few little pieces, for reasons i dont know. You could try this, and do the pot some good at the same time
Has anyone considered the possibility that Acetone will also eat away at the pick guard? It does dissolve certain plastics. I've made this mistake before dissolving superglue, only to have it also destroy the stuff I was ungluing.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
If this were me, I'd do one of the following...

1) Take it back to the sod that did it in the first place and have them deal with it

or

2) The "split" idea sounds fairly good but I'd add another step. I'd use a moto-tool (Dremal or the like) to start the split. Just go down the center being very careful not to let the moto-tool get away from you (<---- very, very important).

Just my .02

Chris
Last edited by RCShadow at Sep 11, 2007,
Did you try unscrewing it first?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.