well, yeah, just as the thread title says.

A band is slowly coming together, with myself and a few friends, and my current equipment goes something like this.

-Pignose HOG 30 amp. I think it may actually be a bass amp, but it's worked really well for guitar so far.
-Homemade speaker cabinet, maybe a 20-inch speaker in it? Haven't actually tried to plug the amp in yet, Dad uses it to boost his bass amp. Don't see why it wouldn't work, though.

Also, whatever effects pedals I end up getting (danelectos, most likely).

As an alternative, I could try my dad's bass setup (would need to check what amp he uses, though....).

Now, some of you will probably say to upgrade the amp, but getting a new guitar is taking top priority for me at the moment. Some of you will also say I'll be better off with a new amp instead of a new guitar, but I must try and convey the sheer crappiness of my current guitar.....

So, yeah. current setup sound decent enough to start jamming with at least?
i have no idea what a pignose hog-30 is. but if its as crappy as it sounds like then personally, i think that would
KICK 4@4@$$55$5$

especially if you're playing blues or punk
if the 30w isnt tube (i kno Pignose has some tube amps), then u need a new amp more than anything.
If you like the tone of your amp, you can always mic it and run it through a PA.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Ive seen people play shows with 15w ss amps, so you would be fine, but it would probably sound bad to tell you the truth...
Uh, well, not entirely sure if it's tube amp or not, though I assume it is.

Pignose Hog 30 Amp Specifications:

13-1/2"W x 17"H x 9-1/2"D
28 lbs.
Pignose Hog 30 Amp Features:

Battery/AC powered
Recharges when you plug it in
Runs for hours on a single charge
Heavy-duty 8" speaker
30W
Squeal overdrive
3-band EQ
2 instrument inputs
Headphone jack
Includes adapter/recharger cable

And yeah, my guitar is pretty bad. action's too high for my liking with no apparent way of changing it, pickups aren't especially strong, tone knob amounts to about two settings, can't even figure out the brand name.

Though, it gets a really sharp slide tone with a steel slide and the amp's overdrive on and with tone control all the way up, may hold onto the thing just for that.
Well, my plan was to get a Danelectro 59, and keep the high-action guitar for slide stuff.

Anyway, I'll check out my Dad's amp and get back to you, see if that one would do any better....
Your equipment is not gig-worthy. As said you should invest a little money setting up your guitar and put some toward a new amp. The cab your father has will not have a 20" speaker. The largest speaker commonly produced is an 18" woofer for bass or sound reinforcement. Did not mean to be unkind, but you deserve an honest opinion.
I agree, I wouldn't try to gig with that setup. I've played small clubs where we had to keep the volume so low at least to start off, my 6 watt Fender Champ did the trick, but that's very unusual. For gigging, at least 30 watts is usually needed to cut through everything else, and solid state amps twice that.

The 18" speaker probably wouldn't sound great for guitar, too boomy. I don't like 15" speakers for guitar, and that 18" will be even more bassy.

Go for a better amp first thing, and have a tech take a look at the guitar, I've seen very few electrics that cannot be adjusted for better action.

Don't compromise on gigging equipment, you want good stuff, what people hear is what makes or breaks the band. You don't want people telling their friends and neighbors your band sucks just because your rig wasn't capable of handling onstage use. Word of mouth advertising is the most effective and you want them to go home and tell everyone you're the band to go see. Practice in a house or garage and onstage are quite different, and you'll find the volume level can get a lot louder in a live performance. Your solid state amp will then start to clip, which sounds really bad...

Decent tube amp, or much higher wattage solid state should be your first priority. I say tubes, I never even look at solid state other than long enough to see no tubes...and I move on.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
I agree, I wouldn't try to gig with that setup. I've played small clubs where we had to keep the volume so low at least to start off, my 6 watt Fender Champ did the trick, but that's very unusual. For gigging, at least 30 watts is usually needed to cut through everything else, and solid state amps twice that.

The 18" speaker probably wouldn't sound great for guitar, too boomy. I don't like 15" speakers for guitar, and that 18" will be even more bassy.

Go for a better amp first thing, and have a tech take a look at the guitar, I've seen very few electrics that cannot be adjusted for better action.

Don't compromise on gigging equipment, you want good stuff, what people hear is what makes or breaks the band. You don't want people telling their friends and neighbors your band sucks just because your rig wasn't capable of handling onstage use. Word of mouth advertising is the most effective and you want them to go home and tell everyone you're the band to go see. Practice in a house or garage and onstage are quite different, and you'll find the volume level can get a lot louder in a live performance. Your solid state amp will then start to clip, which sounds really bad...

Decent tube amp, or much higher wattage solid state should be your first priority. I say tubes, I never even look at solid state other than long enough to see no tubes...and I move on.

+1, as far as the speaker goes, 15inch sounds bad to me as well, aside from being boomy, you loose definition in the mid range and up.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
it really doesnt matter all that much. i promise you.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by uldhppi
Your equipment is not gig-worthy. As said you should invest a little money setting up your guitar and put some toward a new amp. The cab your father has will not have a 20" speaker. The largest speaker commonly produced is an 18" woofer for bass or sound reinforcement. Did not mean to be unkind, but you deserve an honest opinion.

Well, the 18-inch makes sense, I was only guessing as to the actual size of the thing....

and, well, I'll start checking out the local pawn shops then, see if I can't find a decent tube amp about....
I'd gig with that. Just mic up the amp and you're fine. As long as your band is good that's the main issue. I've gigged with amps worse than that because of circumstances. In fact, it's not too uncommon to use the smaller Pignose amp in gigs just because it sounds awesome.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Well, uh, thanks for the new opinion, I suppose....

After doing some thinking, I'll keep with current plans to get a new guitar when my birthday rolls around, as no real gigs are expected until next year. I'll try raising funds for a decent tube amp instead of asking for gifts and stuff at Christmas.

Anybody know of a relatively cheap, powerful enough for my needs tube amp?
USA, right? Depends on what you mean by cheap. What's your budget?

Without knowing it, I'll say...

Crate V16. (350, I think?)
used Peavey Classic 30. (Should be around 400-550)
used Traynor YCV40. (found mine for 425.)
Peavey Valveking 112. (450. But I'm not too big a fan of these...)
And the Peavey Windsor Studio should be out by then. That's slated for 400 dollars.
Quote by forsaknazrael
USA, right? Depends on what you mean by cheap. What's your budget?

Without knowing it, I'll say...

Crate V16. (350, I think?)
used Peavey Classic 30. (Should be around 400-550)
used Traynor YCV40. (found mine for 425.)
Peavey Valveking 112. (450. But I'm not too big a fan of these...)
And the Peavey Windsor Studio should be out by then. That's slated for 400 dollars.

Dude, someone is selling a Peavey Classic 50 212 for $350 here. I don't have any money though. What a freaking steal!
Well, "relatively cheap" hinges entirely on how much cash I'm able to get. Being optimistic, I was thinking $200: thinking more realisticly, a fair bit less than that. However, since I'll be sticking to the pawn shops I may be able to find one of those for cheap.

I'll probably make a new thread around that time, stating my options.

Thanks for all the help with this, guys.

Feel free to keep commenting if you want, though, I'm still open to opinions.
How old are you? Can you get a part time gig to save some money?

Honestly, $200 won't really get you anything for an amp. You can sometimes get lucky and find an ok amp for that much, but not too often.
Quote by eXperiment63
How old are you? Can you get a part time gig to save some money?

Honestly, $200 won't really get you anything for an amp. You can sometimes get lucky and find an ok amp for that much, but not too often.

Well, I dunno. I could attempt finding a part-time job, yes, but I'm not sure how much luck I'd have in my area.

What I do know is that I've got one good pawn shop for guitars in my area with a fair number of large-ish amps, and the larger city nearby probably has some good options as well: probably a decent-sized music store there, though I never bothered to look before.

In any case, this won't be a major concern until I get the money and I start looking around. I'll probably make a new thread when that rolls around.
i did on call yardwork for my first bits of gear. (it was a boss dual overdrive)

whether it was shovelling snow, raking leaves, mowing lawns or trimming hedge. i was available all year round. if you can develop good rapport, they'll even call you for bigger jobs like painting and what not. i think my biggest week was close to $450.. i was pretty whiped after that tho.

of course nowadays i have a regular job, but at 15.. That was some good cash back in my day.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.