alright! i have a gibby les paul and a nashville tele running through a fender twin reverb. now, i bought this tube amp purely for my school jazz band gigs and such. when i play at home, though, i don't just play jazz! i lean more toward classic rock and then on to its more modern heavier cousins. my pedalboard consists of some keeley pedals, DL-4 delay, and a strobe tuner.

Lately, i have come to a decision i need an amp to satisfy my playing tastes. since i have a twin reverb, i don't really need an amp that has amazing cleans. i just need an amp that can get dirty. though if it has cleans, the better! i know full well how loud tube amps are, so enough wattage for a small club would be fine for me.

that pretty much sums it up! i will go new or used, and as long as it's not $2500+, i'm good! amp that have caught my eye on these forums have been the mesa mark IV, and the orange rocker 30. keep in mind before you say "go try these amps" that the guitar center near me doesn't have a wide selection of amps. it mostly just has marshall and peavey.

EDIT: yes, i will be keeping the twin. its a must for jazz band for me at least. i listened to that youtube vid that thrice posted and it sounded nice. i HAVE tryed a rocker 30 at this small shop, but they didn't let me crank it.

also, does the mark IV come in a 2x12 combo? i found one on ebay, but it's a 1x12, which, to me, wouldn't have the extra dimension that extra speaker gives you. any other amps to try? i'm in america, so ENGL, no matter how good they sound on these forums, isn't an option
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Last edited by DunlopGuy at Sep 9, 2007,
Quote by the_negro_puppy
Get a couple of good overdrive/distortion pedals

/thread

/you

ts would you still be keeping your twin?

the mark IV is a remarkable amp, great cleans and great od.

very versitile too!
Can you name some bands that have tones similar to the one you're after?
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
^He most likely isn't trying to get a certain band's tone like a typical newbie, he sounds experienced enough to have his own sound.

The Mesa is more versatile, and is higher gain, but the crunch on the Rocker is to die for. See if you can find some sound clips online, or you can talk to Jinksee for Rocker clips, he made a youtube vid of it.
A mediocre youtube clip. =/
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
either the mark IV or the rocker would be fine in my opinion. but keep in mind, if you buy the rocker, your amp will be bright orange.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
well budget amps wise try a peavey windsor. not much cleans to it
other wise get a rocker 30 or mark iv, both have great reviews. also check out mesa
Quote by the_negro_puppy
Get a couple of good overdrive/distortion pedals

/thread

Please stop.

Ok now back on topic. If you are looking to just "get dirty" there is almost nothing better than a Orange Rocker 30. However if you want higher gain and a slight bit more versatility (but the better cleans won't mean much to you) the Mark IV would be the better option. It's really just a choice of which sound you want.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

try the new roadking II too, dont just be determined to get a mark IV, the new roadkings have the clean channel of the lonestars now and have more gain than anyone will ever need. see if you cant play em side by side. Look on mesa's website and see if there is a dealer anywhere near you.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
id get a marshall jcm800 and use it for overdrive and the fender for cleans.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
ah, man that's such a toughie. rocker vs mark IV...

well, if you primarily use crunchy overdrive... i'd have to give it to the rocker.

the cleans on the mark iv are amazing, but different from the rocker, whereas the mark's cleans are jangly and glassy, and the rocker's cleans are warm and just orgasmic on their own.

if you play metal, eh, aside from 80's metal, the mark iv would win there.

those two are fantastic amps, and if you can, i highly suggest you try them out extensively.

oh, and the mark iv combo only comes in a 1x12. you could get a head and a 2x12 cab if you want though. it's probably sexier that way.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Mesa lonestar.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

so many decisions.... i guess i will have to plan a special trip to a city that has a guitar center or other place that has some amps! but thank you whoever said the mark IV has jangly/glassy cleans, so it's more fender like. i understand what you mean by rocker having warm cleans. thank you everyone who has posted! if anyone would like to add something, it would be appreciated
Quote by yorkshireterror
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
If I had $2500 US to spend, I'd buy a used Mark IV AND a used Rocker 30. F#@k it, get 'em both. How fun would THAT be??!! Woo hoo!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
peavey 6505 if you don't mind too much about the cleans, hell 6505+ if you want it dirtier than well, dirt
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by riffhog
If I had $2500 US to spend, I'd buy a used Mark IV AND a used Rocker 30. F#@k it, get 'em both. How fun would THAT be??!! Woo hoo!

lol well i would do that, but i still need to eat.

i thought about a 6505, but when i played one, i found it to be cold and lifeless. plus, it seemed to only do one thing: metal. which is cool if you want that, but i need to cover a little wider spectrum of music than just balls out metal
Quote by yorkshireterror

i <3 breakdowns