Yeah, so my friend has been saving up for this new Crate solidstate Half stack:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--CRAGLX1200HS
I suggested a Tube combo instead, but due to the built in effects, chromatic tuner, and because he says it will "look more intimidating", he wants that amp.

Anyways if you've tried that amp out or know something about it, i'd like your opinions on it. He plays stuff like Eddie Van Halen, Pantera, Metallica, and some heavier stuff.

What's dumb about him is he doesn't even have a guitar strap or a good guitar cord, and doesn't really do gigs right now(although he's in a band that doesn't do anything at all)
Edit:and he plays some kind of Ibanez Rg series
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
Your friend is a dumbass if he buys an amp just because it's "intimidating". If you tried to reason with him and he still won't listen, forget it. You'll have done your part, so don't let him come whining to you when he hates his amp six months later.
Take him to a guitar shop and let him try out all the amps

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

yea. take him to a shop, get pretty much any guitar, and compare a SS halfstack to a tube combo. then let him decide.
well he also actually thinks the effects are going to be good..so he thinks that will save him a bunch of money on pedals and stuff.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
bad reasons for choosing any amp of any kind...it looks intimidating...but i have played that amp...really nice...good crunch, good leads, nice effects....def. the GLX is one of crates best creations ever...but take your friend to a guitar shop
well he compared his tiny 30 watt SS line 6 to my b-52 100 watt(which was on like..really low volume), and liked the tone but loves all of his weird little effects and stuff.

Also, he's not going to try it first because he's an idiot he's gonna buy it online.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
It's a solid state half-stack. That should be enough to make him steer clear from it.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Then let him get the amp... It's not like you didn't warn him or something.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by jmag
It's a solid state half-stack. That should be enough to make him steer clear from it.

well..as i said before, he's pretty much an idiot so i guess i'll let him buy a crap amp and learn himself.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
A friend of mine has one of those (bought used pretty cheap) and for what he paid for it it's not bad. I wouldn't buy it new though. At least he's replacing a little line 6. The one my friend has doesn't have a bad clean, but i hope he likes pedals cause the onboard stuff is tinnie so his gadgets aren't going to be that sweet. . His used Boss ME 33 does improve it a bit. Since his band doesn't do to much, no harm, no foul.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
If he wants his amp to be intimidating, tell him to put a life size Darth Vader cardboard cutout right next to it.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I don't know if it's that one, but the Crate Halfstack from MF isn't impendence-matched with the cab, so there's really bad attenuation between the head and the cabinet.

Plus, both head and cabinet suck.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Uhh...

Ashdown Fallen Angel.

Peavey 5150 - used.

There's a ****load of amps better than that piece of ****,
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Rofl.

Look at the Line 6 Spider III 75W.

The effects sound awesome online.

I got mine for christmas last year and the effects are already dying on me. They weren't that stunning in real life anyway, and the amp can't even find its' own asshole with both hands and a roadmap anymore.

The other day I turned it on, switched it to the Insane setting, mids 8 o' clock, highs 2 o' clock and bass 3 o' clock, same as ever.

I check my tuning with an open e power chord (I play in drop D.), and for some strange reason I'm sounding like a cheap imitation of Nirvana.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
>_> I was about to stand up for him and say inexperienced players wouldn't know the difference, but hell. He's in a band with an Ibanez RG. He's got more experience than I do, he should know better.

Oh well, let him waste his money and fingerf*ck himself.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
>_> I was about to stand up for him and say inexperienced players wouldn't know the difference, but hell. He's in a band with an Ibanez RG. He's got more experience than I do, he should know better.

Oh well, let him waste his money and fingerf*ck himself.

well his band isn't really a band..lol
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Tell him to go for a used 5150 combo. Way better for the price. Effects are overrated anyways.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Don't argue about it. You warned him. Step back and let him make his own mistakes. You did your duty. Better to keep a friend than be right.