i have been playing guitar for about 4 years now and im sucking right now. i need to re-learn my scales and keys (i know them, buti just dont practice them) and practice a lot more(i practice usually an hour or two a day). any other suggestions you can give to me?

i also need to improve my rhythm playing.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Keep practicing as much as possible, and do finger exercises to get your hand back into the mindset of fingering the fretboard, etc. If you need to, pick up a lesson book at your local guitar store and learn some songs to get you back into the groove of things.

To improve your rhythm playing pick up a metronome and practice keeping tempo while you play. Or try and play along with one of your favorite songs while you listen to it.
Get off my lawn.
improvise, all the time, i dont know about most people here, but i really dont get much from learning a song, it's kind of just a test of skill, i would learn a few scales, and just mess around, especially if you're looking to develop a new style
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
Nihil is right, improvising is very good at helping your skills. Try playing an improv'd guitar part over a song that doesn't have a lot of solos or something along those lines.
Get off my lawn.
i do improvise all the time but the problem is is that its starting to feel "stock". i just need to improve my shred riffing(megadeth etc) and im using the guitar masterclass website to better my playing. and thanks, im going to pick up a couple theory books and a pantera and megadeth songbooks.

also, im gonna buy a metronome too.

thanks guys!
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Again, improvise. Alot.

I made the mistake of getting my fingers used to drop D powerchords.

I'm STILL trying to break my ****ing fingers out of it, STILL working on impro.

Practice the livin' **** out of your scales, learn the feel of every damn fret on your axe.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Practice in total darkness. Complete, can't see your hand 6" away dark.

Not only will you improve as a guitar player, some of the mistakes you make may sound good enough to incorporate into leads. If you can figure out later how you got there.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
*Ahem*

USE A METRONOME.

Don't forget that.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.