Page 1 of 3
Hi i'm ready for a new amp and im split between the marshall mg100dfx or the marshall avt100 and i dont really no much about the latter. Ive played the mg100dfx in a shop and it sounded awesome but ive no idea what the others sound and volume are like. please help??

p.s. I play mainly metal
Quote by Griever988
Vox enough said

What a n00b...

But yeah... don't go with the MG or AVT... Get a decent tube combo.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by p.stick
What a n00b...

But yeah... don't go with the MG or AVT... Get a decent tube combo.

You call me a noob? The Vox amps are pretty damn versatile if you ask me if I do say so myself, I have one and its great. So next time say something worthwhile
please, PLEASE don't get an MG..... you'll regret it, trust me.
My Gear:
Ashton AG131
Ashton GA10 (amp)
Marshall MG250DX (gasp, i know...)
Ibanez S470DXQM
EH Metal Muff
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") ... he's gaining power
I own an AVT100, and I really like it. I play mostly metal as well, and if you turn the distortion on full, it works for everything, at least at home!

PS: I bought it used...
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Quote by Griever988
Vox enough said

The XL series I hope you mean :p.

An AD isn't going to cut it for metal.

But the MG is awful, the AVT is better. You would be better off saying your budget style and gear and then posting it in a new thread in the Guitar Gear and Accessories forum.

The MG100DFX may look good because it says Marshall on it, but there are much better amps available for the money.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
^ ive owned the ad for a few years as my practice amp and it works amazingly well for metal. for some reason, no one who has owned the amp seemed to be able to work the dial over to the nu metal setting. also, overdrive pedals work really well in pushing the higher gained models.
Yeah that may be so, but its a modelling amp that can also do metal. Rather than an amp that was designed for higher gain stuff. So then XL would still be a better choice, providing the TS doesn't change his mind at some point and want to play blues... but Vox amps are great so it'll probably do that well too :-).
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
if you are going to get the mg at least get the hdfx- its not a whole lot better but the dfx honestly isnt amazing. i wouldnt say its crap- i would rather have something better but the mg works for me
Quote by troykeenan
if you are going to get the mg at least get the hdfx- its not a whole lot better but the dfx honestly isnt amazing. i wouldnt say its crap- i would rather have something better but the mg works for me

It's the same amp just in head format, why would it be any better

I really think the mods should have a big stickied thread about MG/AVT's to stop these threads, there must be at least four a day
guys that make these threads, dont read stickies.

and mods arent going to tell guys what to buy, what not to buy. they make suggestions just like everyone else.

vox has a new high gain series. i havent tried.
roland cubes are versatile.

for high gain SS and some well price tube amps, look at RANDALL amps.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I have the hdfx and i'm pretty happy with it. It's sounds good loud, has a nice overdrive, and some decent effects.
i wish i got the hdfx so i could add another speaker. yeah they are pretty good played loud and its a good practise amp. the flange on it isnt too great though but yeah i'm happy with mine too
Quote by jj1565
guys that make these threads, dont read stickies.

and mods arent going to tell guys what to buy, what not to buy. they make suggestions just like everyone else.

vox has a new high gain series. i havent tried.
roland cubes are versatile.

for high gain SS and some well price tube amps, look at RANDALL amps.

agreed.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by \m/Jake\m/
Ive played the mg100dfx in a shop and it sounded awesome but ive no idea what the others sound and volume are like. please help??

Okay, the MG does NOT sound awesome. It sounds like a bee in a tin can. Try out some good valve amps and you'll see that you're completely wrong. Also, it's worth noting that an amp is more than just about volume, which seems to be what you're concerned about. Volume is arguably one of the least important things for somebody like yourself, considering you don't know much about amps, I'll wager you haven't developed your guitar skills too far either. A good amp is about genuine tone (not fizzy distortion), response, dynamics, natural saturation and an ability to cut through a mix in a band situation, none of which you've recognised.

So, first off, be more articulate with your playing, try out a decent valve amp, see how responsive they are, then find another amp that will suit your needs much better than an MG. For instance, a Roland Cube.
ive played some valve amps and they do make a joke out of the mg but they're too expensive for me. the mg isnt all bad but if you can afford better dont get it
Quote by troykeenan
ive played some valve amps and they do make a joke out of the mg but they're too expensive for me. the mg isnt all bad but if you can afford better dont get it

for the price of those 100W mg's, you CAN afford better (used tube combo).
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
Quote by soundnin
for the price of those 100W mg's, you CAN afford better (used tube combo).

For the price of any MG, you can afford better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MG vs AVT, talk about a rock and a hard place.

For that price range you could get something alot nicer. Laney LC30, Peavey Classic 30...something of that ilk.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I bet most of the people who have posted haven't actually played the AVT its actually pretty good. Much, much better than ANY MODELLING vox on the market, they are pretty terrible, i've played the ad50vt (And the Xl version) and the ad120vt. They're all extremely lacking, the lower end AVT can beat them hands down, but i suppose it's all a matter of opinion. Also don't listen to what every one says when they say "go tube it rulez", tube amps break easily and are very heavy, if your just keeping it in your room go tube by all means, but if your in band and lugging the amp around with you 3/4 times a week your better off playing it safe with a Solid state amp. I know, I know iv'e not "told" you which amp to buy and i'm not going to, I just wanted to kind of guide you, I say go out and try as many amps as you can in as many music shops as possible, then buy what you feel is the best for you, I know every one says it, but it is the best way.
Last edited by axe_thrasher at Sep 10, 2007,
Quote by troykeenan
i havent seen ANY 100w cheaper than 240euro

don't judge an amp by its wattage, judge it by its tone.

Quote by axe_thrasher
I bet most of the people who have posted haven't actually played the AVT its actually pretty good. Much, much better than ANY MODELLING vox on the market, they are pretty terrible, i've played the ad50vt (And the Xl version) and the ad120vt. They're all extremely lacking, the lower end AVT can beat them hands down, but i suppose it's all a matter of opinion. Also don't listen to what every one says when they say "go tube it rulez", tube amps break easily and are very heavy, if your just keeping it in your room go tube by all means, but if your in band and lugging the amp around with you 3/4 times a week your better off playing it safe with a Solid state amp. I know, I know iv'e not "told" you which amp to buy and i'm not going to, I just wanted to kind of guide you, I say go out and try as many amps as you can in as many music shops as possible, then buy what you feel is the best for you, I know every one says it, but it is the best way.

i own an avt and it sounds like ass. <------------ my opinion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've played AVT's and they don't sound much better than solid state. I have played solid state amps that sound much better. I have only logged about 45 minutes or so with the AVT line. The two solid state amps I have in my sig sound better (a lot.)
i agree wholeheartedly, i've tried solid states which sound better (e.g. roland cube). EDIT: for about half the price.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

i own an avt and it sounds like ass. <------------ my opinion.

Aye. It sounds OK at really low volumes, but man, get it loud and...yeaaaaaah.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
50w arent lound enough for the hall my band plays at. my guitar has enough killer tone anyway for both itself and the amp.
i contend it sounds useless even at low volumes. I did crank it up once, and I didn't notice much deterioration of sound quality (caveat: i had earplugs in, so probably not the best test, but i'm not cranking up 100 watts in a small enclosed room without them!) like you would with some other solid states. Problem was, the sound is poor enough, IMO, at low volumes that said lack of deterioration isn't exactly much of a selling point. "

It starts off sounding bad at low volumes but the good news is that it doesn't get any worse as you turn it up!"

isn't exactly a great sales pitch if you ask me... o_O
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by troykeenan
50w arent lound enough for the hall my band plays at. my guitar has enough killer tone anyway for both itself and the amp.

ok, here we go:

valves sound louder than solid state amps. A 30 watt valve amp is generally considered to be loud enough for gigs, even if a 50 watt solid state is not. Caveat being that if the valve amp which does the tone you want is not available in less than, say, 100 watts, you kinda have to go for it, but other than that... the lower the wattage the better, generally, as valves sound better as they get cranked up, and the lower the wattage, the easier it is to crank them. if you don't need pristine, loud cleans, you could probably gig with 15-20 watts of valve power.

your tone is mostly in the amp. if you think your guitar has enough good tone for both guitar and amp, you're sorely mistaken. You probably just haven't tried enough amazing-sounding amps.

Sorry to sound like a teacher, but you're going about things the wrong way. How do we know? Because we made the same mistakes you're about to make, and we don't want you to squander your hard-earned money like we did.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i don't know. it got into my head for some reason. EDIT: also i should add that sometimes higher wattage can be good, even with valves- e.g. for modern metal (firmer bottom end, more head-room as most of the gain is pre-amp), or if you need very loud cleans (again, more headroom).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got the amp 2nd hand for free so im not 'squandering' my money. lower watt amps generate a fuzz when turned up and i go for a cleaner sound. i have a 20w valve that is almost loud enough but it deteriorates in quality as it gets turned up.

And about the guitar- you truly would be surprised of the tonal force behind it- i've heard no mgdfx sound as good as this.
Quote by troykeenan
I got the amp 2nd hand for free so im not 'squandering' my money. lower watt amps generate a fuzz when turned up and i go for a cleaner sound. i have a 20w valve that is almost loud enough but it deteriorates in quality as it gets turned up.

And about the guitar- you truly would be surprised of the tonal force behind it- i've heard no mgdfx sound as good as this.

Man, that rodeo strat is UGLY.
eh, i know what you mean about the guitar. i plugged my legra into my avt for a laugh, and it did sound better. But it still sounded like an AVT, just, granted, about as good as an AVT can sound. I'd still prefer a nicer amp.

If you prefer a cleaner sound, it's fine to go for a higher wattage... probably stick to 6L6/5881 or other high headroom tubes too. Though fuzz? are you sure your tubes aren't bad? you'll get overdrive and compression as you turn up, sure, but i dunno if i'd call it fuzz... i guess it depends on the tube too, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 3