Everyone knows about the Jimi Hendrix thing, playing a right handed guitar as a lefty guitar. But how would that go for a bass? Would it be simple to switch it up? What would I have to do? To make it simple, the exact bass would be a right handed epiphone gothic thunderbird. Any information would be appreciated!
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
You are simply the greatest person ever to walk this great planet.
all you would have to do is change the nut and then put the strings on the other way...if you don't change the nut the strings won't fit into the slots near the headstock....I wonder if you could actually just take the nut off and flip it around though....anybody got an idea?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
all you would have to do is change the nut and then put the strings on the other way...if you don't change the nut the strings won't fit into the slots near the headstock....I wonder if you could actually just take the nut off and flip it around though....anybody got an idea?

What about the bridge too, would I have to make a modification to the bridge too?
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
Quote by Revelation

They're glued on, i guess if you carefully do it?
if you replace the nut it should work

and hey if youre a lefty join my lefties group! one more member and were at 30!
Or you could just flip it upside and and play it with the treble strings closest to your head... I mean, who says you need to play it a certain way? If you do that you don't need to toy with intonation and the nut and potentially break your guitar...
Quote by qotsa1998
i think u might have to adjust intonation. not a big problem, but idk.

If you're just going to flip the nut, then your intonation will be seriously screwed. Just buy a left handed nut, and switch it.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
The other good thing is that it would only be a second instrument of mine(Main being guitar). I'm thinking about buying it second hand from someone for $300, so I think it would be a cool little project to modify it anyways.
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
So are there any risks to doing this modification to a bass?
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
I am lefty and play righty, I find it much more natural but a lot of lefties I see buy right handed basses and play them as they are with the strings upside down. It will be a little uncomfortable having the controls under your forearm. There's not risks really, only the nut reversal but nuts aren't expensive so if you mess it up it's cheap to get a new one.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Also, I've never adjusted the intonation on my guitars before so I wouldn't know how to do it on a bass (lol, I must sound like a noob now) is it hard to do?
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
Jimmy Haslip and Jeff Schmidt are lefty's who actually play the bass string righty. That's right, the thickets stringsa re at the bottom.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Thanks alot for all the info guys its really appreciated!
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
Ha, this is my topic. I just flipped a righty bass around without changing a thing, and it works just fine. I even find some songs easier that way
Whitest Kid U' Know of the Bass Militia
PM Dinky Daisy to join

Originally posted by Civildp1
I can't drink tequila anymore. it makes me do terrible things. Terrible naked things.
wouldn't you have to switch the pick ups too? also the strap holder thing would be on the bottom.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Quote by Ska Wars
wouldn't you have to switch the pick ups too? also the strap holder thing would be on the bottom.

Don't think the pickups would need changing, and for the strap button, it would just be to makle a hole on the other side and screw it in. It would leave a little hole where it used to be, but could be filled in. Just wouldn't look as nice.
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
Oh yea I guess you would have to switch your strap button on the neck side to the top so you can stand if you do that.
It's funny, I'm having a hard time trying to imagine what it would look like playing an upside down thunderbird. Anyone think it would look cool?
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz

not bad, i actually kinda think it looks better than it normally would
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Yeah, the balance is just as horrible and the fret access is just as pathetic as if you were playing it righty! I bet the tone is just as mundane, too!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Yeah, the balance is just as horrible and the fret access is just as pathetic as if you were playing it righty! I bet the tone is just as mundane, too!

damn the thunderbird ,why does it look so damn cool!

wait doesn't gibson or someone else make a better thunderbird, or at least more expensive?
Quote by Zar938
wait doesn't gibson or someone else make a better thunderbird, or at least more expensive?

Same ****e balance, same ****e fret access, same ****e tone (but not as ****e), but neck-thru, and $1800 more. This can be said about pretty much every Gibson bass. However, the are inexplicably some Gibson bass die-hards... could have something to do with wanting to be guitar players and most of the cooler guitar players play Gibsons.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
For the cost of the epiphone Tbird, its just as good as a Gibson, if not better because its pretty much the same anyways. I'd go with epiphone myself(unless I was a rich ****er).
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz