Page 1 of 2
So are valve amps ALWAYS better sounding than a solid state/hybrid ?
Is it possible for a good solid state to sound better than a cheap valve amp ? For example a Marshall AVT50 vs Peavey Classic 30 - or some other combination.

What do people think ?
Depends on your situation.

I like both valve and hybrid/solid-state to play with if I'm practicing, but other than that--well, it's all preference, really.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
No. i would like to have a nice little solid state for jazz and such, but for everything else, i will always say tube. And comparing a AVT to a Classic is like absolutely no contest/
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

In your case TS, no.

EDIT: that was about the Classic vs. AVT.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
most of the time. id rather have a nice SS amp than a unmodded VJ, so not always better
High end Randalls and Rolands solid states are very nice amps, and are just as good as many tube amp.

But the AVT is not a high end SS, it's a crappy mid-range modeler. The Classic 30, and most other tube amps for that matter, pisses all over it.
Quote by aznrockerdude
In your case TS, no.

EDIT: that was about the Classic vs. AVT.

No not specfically a Classic vs AVT - just an example.

I am actually looking at all amp options from Marshall AVT / DSL / TSL, Mesa Express 5:25, Orange Rocker30.

Was just curious if people thought that valves were always better.
Quote by s.r.v.
most of the time. id rather have a nice SS amp than a unmodded VJ, so not always better

Wow, I'd take a stock VJ over most SS amps any day. Each to his own though
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Sep 9, 2007,
the problem with solid states is that by the time you reach the high end category, you could easily buy either a comparable tube amp for cheaper or an amazing tube amp for the same price, so usually its not only more cost efficient but also tonally better to go with tube.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by HeartInACage
the problem with solid states is that by the time you reach the high end category, you could easily buy either a comparable tube amp for cheaper or an amazing tube amp for the same price, so usually its not only more cost efficient but also tonally better to go with tube.

Very well said sir. This guy took the words right out of my mouth.
Quote by s.r.v.

I'd disagree on that, but, whatever floats your boat.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
It really comes down to preference.

Typically, with tube amps, they produce a much more solid tone and a lot more volume to back it up. But there are always cases where that may not be the case. There are a few shred metal bands out there who like the sound of a SS, just for an example...

It all comes down to the type of sound you want though
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
SS have their advantages, such as being able to stay clean at high volumes (supposing it has nice headroom and won't start to clip) and being able to get massive amounts of distortion. There really are some great SS amps out there, a lot of people just don't take the time to look for them.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led

+1 I was pretty surprised when I read that he didn't like un-modded VJ's. I think they are great and I'd take one over 95% of SS. I leave the 5% open in case there is some awesome SS amp I haven't played yet.

Anyways, (to TS) it's tough to ask questions like this. It depends on your style of music, budget, etc. Of course some 4000$ SS amp no one has heard of will sound better than a Peavey Valveking, but who cares? Just get what you like and what sounds good. Who cares about anything else, right?
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Very well said sir. This guy took the words right out of my mouth.

Didn't you freak out about a year ago and try and argue that your solid state Crate half stack was good?
a few of my favorite amps are solid state. and theyre not household names like the jazz chorus either. quite a few i will add to the stable little by little. they range from warm overdrive, heavy distortion, eclectic buzzing, and sparkling clean. the majority go for under 400 dollars. and my favorite that i consider one of the best sounding amps ever tube or solid state, for a measly 250 bucks.
i also have a fetish for older solid state tremolo, delay, and reverb units. the prices on those are going up though.
The thign with SS is that they're only good at the "extremes".

Basically SS are great for über ultra clean sounds and über distorted high gain sounds.

Everything in between valve amps are far superior.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^id have to say differently. i could get a decent(and GREAT on many) crunch and midgain sound from many ss amps ive played.
^But a tube amp will ALWAYS be better at crunch (at least the ones with good crunch...)
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^ meh, i could get some great crunch stuff from this old amp i've got. close my eyes and i cant tell. and even marshall made some really nice solid state heads that did the plexi thing very well. solid state technology was just mostly abandoned when the makers failed to steal the market from tubes. there are still a few people dedicated to advancing it and make INCREDIBLE solid state amps(the big P) as well as quite a few obscure jems available on the vintage market.
but hey, if you dont believe me its alright with me. leaves many more little jems for me to snatch up on ebay for fifty dollars.
^yea. probably in 20 years, tube amps might be gone... and modeling amps might take over. cloudy, the future... is...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I would say yes in 90% of cases, but if your a begginer at guitar, I would recomend a small (size and watt) modeller over a VJ, such as the cube, this is because they help teach newbies at what effect does what, they have a variety of sounds, its small and easily loud enough for bedroom practice.

But as soon as you start to venture out to practicing with a drummer I would pretty much say a tube is always better.
no, obviously. solid states do some things better than valves, valves do some things better than solid state. it depends what you want from your amp.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led

Keyword was "nice" SS amps. We're not talking lame MG's or $150 crates.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
If you want an amp for gigs and loud-metal playing get an valve amp.
If you want an amp for practice, you will be suprised how ****ty valve amps sound at low volume.

I own a Traynor YCV-40 valve amp wich is awesome when you crank it up. For practise I have a Tech-21 Trademark 30 solid amp.
well i mean there are crap tube amps too. it depends what you're after.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
In the majority of cases, a valve amp will be better. Obviously, there will be some AWFUL valve amps knocking about and some astounding solid states. Things like the Roland Jazz Chorus have wonderful cleans that will be better than alot of valve amps, but then you get amps like the Vox AC30 to argue the other side.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
^ yep, basically.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Kurapica
In the majority of cases, a valve amp will be better. Obviously, there will be some AWFUL valve amps knocking about and some astounding solid states. Things like the Roland Jazz Chorus have wonderful cleans that will be better than alot of valve amps, but then you get amps like the Vox AC30 to argue the other side.

Agreed!

It all depends on what you want out of the amp. SS amps can also be good because of their light weight, they could be a lot lighter than some heavier valve amps when the musician is travelling around a lot or going from gig to gig.

Mind you, there are probably some heavy SS amps too, but a lot of them are very light in comparison.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Back to the solid state vs. tube neverending story. Tubes are not always better than solid state. A good solid state amp can produce some amazing cleans, so can a good tube. A great solid state can produce enormous amounts of distortion, so can a high end tube. Solid state amps can be a useful, good sounding tool when used properly (understanding the headroom, EQ, and general characteristics.) For me nothing sounds as good as a tube. That said, I love my Peavey Backstage Plus (1984) for practice at low or middle volumes. Upgraded the speaker. I am looking at 5 watt tube combos however.
Most of the time if someone asks "What amp" and they have anywhere close to the money for tube that's where I'm going to send them. If you have the money for steak why buy hamburger? They both taste pretty good when you're hungry, but you'll remember the taste of the steak a lot longer.
there where some old ampegs from the 80's which are excellent. really good metal sounds. i believe pig destroyer use them
Right, i have to admit i hate the fact that Tube amps distort when they are turned up. I want my cleans clean. At all volumes. And i think that some of the people on here say tube, just because everyone else says it. At the moment, id rather have a 300 watt solidstate amp that wont crap out on me, over a 100 watt Tube head.

But of course, different strokes for different folks right?
Quote by thebrewfan
Didn't you freak out about a year ago and try and argue that your solid state Crate half stack was good?

a year ago sunshine. his ear for tone would have developed at least a fraction, now stop trying put other people down for no good reason.

In recent months i've succumbed to tubelaritis myself. they generally sound better. Now of course a cheap tube amp isn't going to compare to say, a line6 Vetta 2, and you won't get that much versatility at such quality for that price in a tube amp. You COULD however spend half, 3/4 whatever, on a tube amp, and the rest on pedals. But although this is widely believed to sound better, it's nowhere near as practical or versatile.

They both have their pros/cons
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
hah, a year ago 80% of the population of UG was probably still in primary school.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
hah, a year ago 80% of the population of UG was probably still in primary school.

Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
I am actually looking at all amp options from Marshall AVT / DSL / TSL, Mesa Express 5:25, Orange Rocker30.

If your budget includes the Mesa Express and Orange Rocker 30, why are you bothering to look at mid-range SS amps? Unless you have a specific application for the SS, the Orange & Mesa will sound way better. Or are you just torturing yourself by trying out amps outside of your budget?

(not that I'm beyond a little self-torture when GASing ...)
valve amps aren't always better. Both SS and Valve have thier pros and cons.

I'd have to agree with Gabe, because he's always right, if you want solid, constant levels of distortion or no distortion at all then you should go with solid state, but if you want something between that allows you to smoothly control the level of distortion through your playing, go with valve.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Page 1 of 2