I went to a pawn shop today and found this awesome Acoustic Archtop Harmony Guitar, it is just a beautiful guitar, a couple scratches and the top of the body is coming apart, but the guy said all u have to do is get some wood glue and clamps, then it should be fine. But it plays and sounds great. It was made in 1958. It was marked $165, but the guy gave it to us for $75. does anybody know about this guitar and think this was a good deal
My Music
http://www.myspace.com/theocifers
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
1958 Harmony Hollowbody Archtop
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Danelectro Daddy-O
Well if my guitar was coming apart and someone told me to take some wood glue and clamps to it I'd laugh in their face. But otherwise if it sounds good then its a good deal.
Yeah we need to know what guitar it is, the list Lefty posted should help, the guitar should also have a sticker inside with the model number on it, most older Harmonys do. Mine is an electric, single pickup Bobkat model. Needed some minor repairs, but it's playable now and I use it onstage now and then. Great Santana-ish sounding guitar, and very good for slide.

Guitars are put together mostly with hide glue, not wood glue. It's a different animal and more difficult to work with, and if the guitar body is coming apart using hide glue for the repair would be preferable. Hide glue is used for holding power and because it can be easily heated and disassembled if major repairs are necessary.

Depending on the extent of the break, it may be possible to fix it as is or it may need to have the entire top ( or bottom) removed then re-glued. Also if the face or back is coming off, what shape is the inside in? Are the support struts also coming loose? I'd be concerned..and I'd have it checked by a luthier, yeah this is one of those I might not tackle myself.

As long as it's not a major repair job, I'd say it's not a bad deal at all, some older Harmony guitars in good shape go for $400 or more. That depends on the model and condition, my Bobkat is probably valued around $250 or so, and it's beat up but in good playing condition and mostly original. A vintage Harmony Sovereign in excellent condition can go for more than many new acoustics.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
i didnt look at everything on that site, but i think it is this one
http://harmony.demont.net/model.php?id=36
my looks just like the first picture.

i looked inside of it and the sticker has been scratched off, all i can see is a really long number. but i think i will go with the hide glue instead of wood. i can post a picture of it if it helps.

*EDIT*
i just checked the numbe in the guitar and it is H1215
http://harmony.demont.net/model.php?id=36 so that should be the right one.

the whole number is 481H1215, what does the 481 stand for.
My Music
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Danelectro Daddy-O
Quote by TeXaS_db

i looked inside of it and the sticker has been scratched off, all i can see is a really long number. but i think i will go with the hide glue instead of wood. i can post a picture of it if it helps.

Are you thinking of using hot hide glue that you mix yourself or store bought premixed stuff?

...and a pic of the guitar would help.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Are you thinking of using hot hide glue that you mix yourself or store bought premixed stuff?

...and a pic of the guitar would help.

i dont know, i have never heard of hide glue, which one would be best.
My Music
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Danelectro Daddy-O
Hot hide glue is just that, hot. You need a glue pot and burner to keep it hot, about 140 degrees F I think it is. Get's it's strength once it cools back to room temperature. Store bought glues are generally ready to use at room temp, but need to dry to cure. Hot hide glue is preferable because it can be heated back up later on to perform repairs, such as replacing a broken bridge.
Premixed hide glue is worthless. Don't use it. Run away from it. Run as fast as you can.

Hot hide glue is tricky stuff and takes a lot of skill to get good at. To get a good gluejoint with hot hide glue you have to apply it to a clean freshly sanded serface. Is that going to be possible for you? If it's not possible to get at your joint and sand it then you should use tightbond instead of hide glue simply because the hide glue isn't going to hold.

If you can get at the joint I'm still not sure hide glue is worth the extra work simply because any advantages you gain with the hideglue are lost due to the fact that you have a laminated archrtop. Not even benedetto uses hide glue and he makes some of the best archtop guitars in the world. Archtops simply don't need hide glue.
Not taking any online orders.