i want to set my neck like my guitar teacher's and get rid of the buzz on the lower frets and make the strings closer to my guitar. how should i go about doing this?

note: i have an epiphone les paul 100
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
dude, set neck has nothing to do with buzz, its the action, mmake it a bit hight, set neck is for more sustain and better fret reach as you dont have that metal plate on the neck.

btw dont do it for yourself, as you might stick that wrong and make a big **** mistake, so tell your teacher if he can make your action abit higher to avoid fret buzz and then take the guitar to a luthier who can set your neck, altough it can be a lot of money, so better wait a bit with that and later get a guitar with a set neck
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Sep 9, 2007,
If you're asking you probably shouldn't be attempting this yourself. Take it to a tech and tell him/her that you want low action.
naw man i have no tech and i have no time to take it to my guitar teacher early.

ok all i want to do is get rid of buzz, HOW DO I DO THAT?
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
meh you can attempt it,

A- get the right size L wrench

B-never do more than 1/8" as you probally wouldn't know if it could go more than that and end up breaking your neck you can adjust it 1/8" every 24 hours

p.s guitar tek cost money

note I did it my first time and never hurt anything, not complicated, you may want to research google first
Last edited by hardcoredarrell at Sep 9, 2007,
make your action higher, from your bridge there are some screws,detune the guitar until the strings are moving a lot, and get those screws a bit up (a very little bit to have the lowes action possible) then tune again and check if there is no fret buzz, if there is detune and repest all untel there is no buzz.

btw, your strings get weird, so you might want to change them after that
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

Quote by hardcoredarrell
meh you can attempt it,

B-never do more than 1/8" as you probally wouldn't know if it could go more than that and end up breaking your neck you can adjust it 1/8" every 24 hours

note I did it my first time and never hurt anything, not complicated, you may want to research google first

dude that is for the thing on the neck that is seen if you remove the thing that says LES PAUL.

btw never touch that, as you can brake your neck

EDIT: yeah the truss rod, NEVER touch that sh*t. i had forgotten its name
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

Last edited by ldnovelo at Sep 9, 2007,
Quote by hardcoredarrell
meh you can attempt it,

DO NOT MESS WITH THE TRUSS ROD!!! You do not adjust the truss rod to adjust your action. Seriously someone just posted a rant about this....
ok everyone be quiet.

where is the buzz. what strings and what frets?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
every string on the first and second frets and sometimes when i play open (depends on the tuning, usually does this open in drop C)
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Most guitar are set up for standard tuning. So when you drop tune a bunch like drop c all the adjustments are out again. If your gonna drop tune like that you need to adjust the guitar for it. And keep it there. Thats alot of tension to take off the neck. And the epi 100 has a bolt on neck so it cant be "set" like a glue in gibson neck. But you can change the angle with shims in the neck pocket. But if you have buzzing at the first couple of frets its probably the nut. The epi 100 is a cheap guitar so they dont put a whole lot of effort into setting em up if any. Your best bet is to see if you can spend 20 buck to get it setup at a guitar shop. A new nut put in and done right is about 50 bucks. So your best bet is live with the one you have and save up for a better guitar.
Quote by CullenT
i want to set my neck like my guitar teacher's and get rid of the buzz on the lower frets and make the strings closer to my guitar. how should i go about doing this?

note: i have an epiphone les paul 100

Truss rod adjustment
Fret dressing
Set action

In that order. If you don't know how to do these things don't mess up your guitar trying to figure it out. Take it to a luthier and tell them you want a fretdressing and a setup. Ask them if you can watch them do the work on your guitar. If they tell you no then take it to a different luthier. Don't take it to a guitar store.
Not taking any online orders.
i would try heavier gauge strings to help with the drop tuning,

and adjust the truss rod to handle any left over buzzing.

if u want help measuring ur neck angle then repost. alternative would be taking it in, like said.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
ok im taking it to my guitar teacher (he has 14 gibson les pauls and regularly adjusts stuff on them) and get it done. and im getting a new nut
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss