Hey guys. So, i mostly play metal, but I want a versatil guitar. Wich set should I look? I'm not rich, so i only can have one guitar. I want a br00tal metal sound, but good cleans aswell, and i was thinking go with the H-S-S set and put 2 good metal pu's in neck and bridge and leave the single coil in the middle for the cleans. What is your opinion guys?
cheers
you could get an HSH config. which are common in ibanez guitars.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
get some kind of les paul and put EMGs in it!
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
get some kind of les paul and put EMGs in it!

EMG's suck ass for cleans.
My Gear:
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by guitar_infidel

i have EMG passives in my LP and they are fine (clean and heavy). i've played a bunch of live shows with it and it holds up nicely.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Hey dude get an IBANEZ RG4EX1 guitar, it's got a floyd rose, H-S-H set up, it comes with ibanez pick ups but you can upgrade them, im very happy with it, it sours your ears with metal, you can juice out some relly clean sounds as well with the middle pick up, for only $450, read some reviews online here on ultimate-guitar about it: IBANEZ RG4EX1. AND THE LOOKS ARE AWESOME!!!! I LOVE IT YOU MIGHT TOO!!!
Quote by CullenT
i have EMG passives in my LP and they are fine (clean and heavy). i've played a bunch of live shows with it and it holds up nicely.

IMO for what passive emg's are, you can do alot better and they are kind of a gimmick.
My Gear:
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
^lol seriously. that's such a joke hahaha. he suggested EMGs for versatility. yes. i was like... ohh this guy knows a bit. but he suggested EMG passives... lol
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by qotsa1998
id say an HSS with an Invader and 2 Lace single coils.

id say no.... the invader isnt a good pickup....

well if you want "br00tal" then get a dimarzio x2n? it's dimarzio's highest gain pickup... but the evo is also a good pickup for metal and all that stuff...

EDIT:

and for your cleans, i really like the class of 55' from dimarzio, but the lace sensor golds are good too.
Could always do something weird like X2N - ToneZone S - Evo neck.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
I would go for an HH, it's always been my preference for tones. I can get all the tones that I want from humbuckers alone, and I've played in a jazz band during the day and done a metal jam at night with good sound.

Most 'buckers these days are generally good enough to give you balanced tones around the board anyway.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by Dudage
I would go for an HH, it's always been my preference for tones. I can get all the tones that I want from humbuckers alone, and I've played in a jazz band during the day and done a metal jam at night with good sound.

Most 'buckers these days are generally good enough to give you balanced tones around the board anyway.

Agreed, I prefer humbuckers for everything, cleans and distortion.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I have to choices, Jackson DKMG and DK2 (i didn't consider the DK2M because I don't want a maple fretboard. Both guitar round 550€ here in portugal, and to buy a ibanez with that money it will come with a edgelll, so i prefer jackson (made in japan also). So, my doubt is between the DKMG and the DK2. I don't like emg's anyway, so i'm will change them if I buy it, but i like duncans . What's your opinion guys?
cheers
You can get a guitar with an HH or HSH configuration that comes with a coil split feature to turn the humbuckers into single coils, or you could modify the pickups yourself to do that.
Quote by guitar_infidel

Clean with EMG's is nice as long as you know how to work your amp and change your volume and tone knobs.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
Quote by Op3a
to buy a ibanez with that money it will come with a edgelll, so i prefer jackson (made in japan also).

Well actually any Ibanez RG with an edge III (i.e. non prestige) is NOT made in Japan but usually Korea.

Edit: to the TS I think a DK2 with it's HSS setup would probably be more versatile than the DKMG and the stock Duncans will be fine.
Last edited by Miasma909 at Sep 11, 2007,
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
Could always do something weird like X2N - ToneZone S - Evo neck.

you stole someone's name

I have a D Activator, Chopper, Breed neck combo, sound pretty good, The D Activator screams, and calms down a bit when the volume is rolled off, and the Chopper sounds AMAZING, one of the best pickups i've heard, and the breed just gives you that nice warm smooth tone
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
I'm going to say:

Bridge - Seymour Duncan SH-5 custom
Neck - Seymore Duncan SH-1 '59
^i would never do coil tap. instead, i'll go for coil split.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by godofshred
^ same thing...

no. i dont know the difference though, you'll have to ask someone else.
its not but people mess the two up a lot. and people pretty much get what ur saying by the context of the thread lol.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Split uses half.

Tap uses less windings.

Split is for humbuckers; tap is for single coils.

People use both interchangeably most of the time, however :/.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.