Let me just throw out that I have no knowledge whatsoever about the bass.

All right, well, my friend wants to purchase a bass (he's a drummer wanting to learn bass).

He doesn't want anything too expensive or anything too cheap...let's say his price range is around...$500.

He's really into the whole alternative bass scene--throwing that out as well.

Uhh...he also wants a bass that would be well suited for slap/pop.

I'm not too sure if I covered anything, but suggestions or any questions would be nice.

Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
$500 could buy u a Fender Standard P-bass or a J-bass. Id go with the P becuz itll be able to slap well.
Quote by qotsa1998
$500 could buy u a Fender Standard P-bass or a J-bass. Id go with the P becuz itll be able to slap well.

Got it back to front, mate. If you really like slap, you want a J because the P is not the kind of bass people go for if they want a bright, snappy sound.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Eh, heh. I guess he'll have to try them both out and see how he likes them.

Any more suggestions?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by qotsa1998

hahaha why would you slap on a p bass. why would you play a p bass for that matter

a jazz bass would be nice though
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Quote by rage6945
hahaha why would you slap on a p bass. why would you play a p bass for that matter

Get outta here. People play P basses because if you want the tone and feel they give, nothing else is good enough. Vice versa with a J.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I prefer an Ibanez myself. It's really just personal preference. He should go into as many stores as possible and play as many basses as possible until he finds one he likes.
Don't rule out a P/J combo. When he's playing normal he can use the P pickup and when he's slapping he can solo J pickup and get that nice sound from slapping at the bridge. Since he has $500 to spend I'd suggest getting a $200 bass and a $300 amp. The Ibanez GSR200 and Yamaha RBX170 are both around $200 and have the P/J combo. As for amps, the Fender Rumble 100 is $330 and the Ampeg BA115 is $350 and are both very solid. If he can get that extra $50 I'd definitly get the Ampeg. I have the Fender and love it but it isn't for everyone.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by aixelsydevahi
Don't rule out a P/J combo. When he's playing normal he can use the P pickup and when he's slapping he can solo J pickup and get that nice sound from slapping at the bridge. Since he has $500 to spend I'd suggest getting a $200 bass and a $300 amp. The Ibanez GSR200 and Yamaha RBX170 are both around $200 and have the P/J combo. As for amps, the Fender Rumble 100 is $330 and the Ampeg BA115 is $350 and are both very solid. If he can get that extra $50 I'd definitly get the Ampeg. I have the Fender and love it but it isn't for everyone.

highly agree p/j combos are the way to go when you start, because you have the ability to choose
Quote by qotsa1998

i agree. i'd deff go with a fender standard precision bass. its very nice quallity and will fit your budget.