Me and my friends are thinking about starting a band and i had the idea that we do like improv jams in between a few songs. Is this a good idea? We're mostly new at our instruments, bassist hasn't played bass a day in his life,ive been playin for about a year, and the drummer has been playing for roughly a year. If we did it we would have the bassist just kinda dance around stage until he gets better. Would this be a good idea at this point? If not would it be a good idea later when we got better at playing? We dont plan on having a show until at least december/january. advice?
ED REED BABY
GuitarHero II says it's not a good idea.....

but yeah, you'd be better off practicing more songs than just winging it and jamming. You'll have a better chance of not looking like idiots that way
you probably shouldnt even start a band until you know your instruments inside and out
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Just jam together for another 6 months at least, get some good chemistry. And I can't imagine your guys' improv being amazing given your experience.(no offense, I've neverseen/heard you guys) So practice a lot like everyone else says.
Quote by rage6945
you probably shouldnt even start a band until you know your instruments inside and out

Umm, no offense but don't listen to that. Making a band is one of the best ways to get better at what your doing. Not to mention it being fun.
concentrate on songs and jamming equally, both will help you become more fluent
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
I personally would start learning some music theory first before starting a band. It'd help with the construction of songs.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
Quote by Maggot66
Umm, no offense but don't listen to that. Making a band is one of the best ways to get better at what your doing. Not to mention it being fun.

yea but the bassist hasnt played at all. i started jamming with kids early on but we were all taking lessons and practicing a lot
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Quote by pinkhaze29
Whats up with all these threads saying the bassist dose not play/own a bass

haha actually i know more people who play bass than guitar but there all in bands and my friend really wanted to join so we had all the other instruments covered so we told him to get a bass

yea we've decided we'll jam during practice and do improv to improve but we won't do it during gigs until we know we won't look like were retarded

edit:we all know some theory we all took a year of it and my drummer took two years so we have some idea of what were doing but learning more of it probably wouldnt hurt
ED REED BABY