My 5150 II has some problems. I will be playing and then the tone will sound all bassy. It is like there is no treble. The volume will also randomly drop. I am assuming I will need to change my tubes. But I just want to make sure.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II
Ibanez 25W "Tone Blaster"
Fender Starcaster (Not the vintage kind, the Wal-Mart Value kit kind"

If Dimebag22 was a pie, I would cover him with whipped cream and eat his insides...
just take it to a professional. whether its a tube problem or not you probably shouldnt mess around with it
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
^ignore those two posts for now. what you can do, is turn the amp on, and when it warms up after standby (like whenever u play), tap the tubes with a pencil. not too hard, but sith a pencil (u don't want to touch it.). If u hear sound from your amp, u'd need replacement. how this works, is that tubes are "vaccum valves", and they have no air in them. only sound in air or water or stuff like that resonates. i know sound travels in glass, but not much on the tubes. if there is air in the tubes, it's wearing out/failing.

btw, i had this problem before.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^ignore those two posts for now. what you can do, is turn the amp on, and when it warms up after standby (like whenever u play), tap the tubes with a pencil. not too hard, but sith a pencil (u don't want to touch it.). If u hear sound from your amp, u'd need replacement. how this works, is that tubes are "vaccum valves", and they have no air in them. only sound in air or water or stuff like that resonates. i know sound travels in glass, but not much on the tubes. if there is air in the tubes, it's wearing out/failing.

btw, i had this problem before.

I have never heard of doing that before. It is not that I don't trust you, I just want to see if someone else could confirm that method. Nothing personal.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II

If Dimebag22 was a pie, I would cover him with whipped cream and eat his insides...
Quote by KaMiKaZi90
I have never heard of doing that before. It is not that I don't trust you, I just want to see if someone else could confirm that method. Nothing personal.

that'll tell you if your valves have gone microphonic. hmm...since it's a peavey if it doesnt seem to be the valves bad solder could also cause those probs. ive seen it before on peavey amps. had to get the whole lot resoldered on my peavey. get a tech to look at it.
A little update. I have started to notice some fizziness and crackling after I turn on the Stand-By. It goes up in volume and on its way it fizzes. I am also detecting a hint of less Bass Response, that might be due to the Peavey Windosr cab, but ya never know. I haven't tried the Tube Tapping method partly because I don't want to hurt the amp. I am thinking about taking it to a tech but my funds are kinda tight right now and I don't know how much it will cost. I am probably going to go in and see how much it is gonna run me to a) get it checked out and b) change the tubes. I bought the amp used so I feel I should get the tubes changed anyways. I am leaning towards a re-tube kit from Eurotubes.

If anyone has any idea what the fizzines when the stand-by is turned on is let me know.

Sorry for a mega-bump but I didn't want to make a new thread on the same topic.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II

Listen to EC. He's right. Lightly tapping your tubes isnt hurting anything, and if you hear the sound, they're microphonic and it's time for new tubes.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Listen to EC. He's right. Lightly tapping your tubes isnt hurting anything, and if you hear the sound, they're microphonic and it's time for new tubes.

What about the fizziness? Is that a notice that I need to change tubes?
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II

I'm not to sure about the fizziness. I didnt noticed any fizziness when it came time to change my tubes, just a decrease in volume.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
It sounds like it may be tube related, but if you are going to do it yourself you have to learn to trouble shoot. EC told you how to do the tubes, its safe and the standard method. Could be some solder joint as Def said. That you can't do on your own. Dirty pots (volume control, tone etc.) and or dirty input and output jacks on the guitar and amp can cause similar problems. These are easily cleaned with contact cleaner, and as you said the amp was use should be done anyway. Make sure your guitar cord is good. Also check your speaker wires/input jacks. Good luck.