So I hear EMG 81/85's are kickass pickups. But I also heard the actives are crappy for cleans and sound like ass through a Roland cube.

My question is, which would sound better for high-distortion heavy low-ends and smooth clear highs, without sacrificing harmonics and cleans?
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Those new D activators sound pretty cool.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
i have sets of the dimarzio evolution in every one of my 4 of my guitars. thus being said, i like them a helluva lot.
I'm looking at getting a Vox DW15A when I get the money.

I'm afraid EMG's would come up with too much feedback. Plus the dimarzio's seem to be cheaper.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
my EMG passives are perfect for clean AND distortion

dimarzios are always good also. get a drop sonic, joe satriani, or super distortion
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
D Activators are great! They're good for metal but clear up nicely when you roll the volume down. The neck pup is fat and good for cleans and melodic solos, etc while the neck is good for your distortion. Not sure what they're like way downtuned, but I think they're great!
I think Glasgow Kiss just cleared up all doubt in my mind.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
eh..i've never tried d'marzio's but i love my EMG's, great distortion and the cleans aren't bad.
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
Evolution, Tone Zone, or FRED!!!!!!!! Dimarzio owns, simply put.
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
If you're only going to have a little modelling amp then it's really not worth your while changing pickups. You will get some small change in tone, but it won't come anywhere close to justifying the amount of money you'll spend. If you want to imporove your tone put the pickup money in the amp fund and get a better amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
evo's are a great pickup no doubt. i find that for a good clean tone in my guitar though i gotta use a decent amount of effects. but that could just be my axe, i think that people like vai also load up the effects too.
Quote by mikiedaman
evo's are a great pickup no doubt. i find that for a good clean tone in my guitar though i gotta use a decent amount of effects. but that could just be my axe, i think that people like vai also load up the effects too.

It's more than likely your amp though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by mikiedaman

Actually I think Vai's tone has a lot more to do with his $1500 amp
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.