but anyway ive never played a guitar with active pickups before and the next guitar i want has EMGs. So if the battery dies does the pick up still work but sound duller or something or do you have to replace the battery for the pickups to work at all?
No, the pickup won't work once the battery dies. But, it takes a really long time for the battery to run out, unless you always leave your guitar plugged in. It will start to sound bad once the battery is dying though.
Hmmm might seem like a dumb question....

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

The answer above is right on target no further comment needed.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Like he said, it takes forever to kill them so long as you unplug your guitar when you're not using it.

Hence, it's only on rare occasion you'll have to replace them. And I'm pretty sure they use specialty batteries, so a lack of AA/AAA/9V's will really make a difference.

I was just wondering that same question earlier though.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
i've heard batteries in emg's last for 3,000 hours.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by sdmf5150
No, the pickup won't work once the battery dies. But, it takes a really long time for the battery to run out, unless you always leave your guitar plugged in. It will start to sound bad once the battery is dying though.

yeah the EMG website states that batteries usually last 3000 hours(assuming you don't forget to unplug your guitar), so that's a long time..unless you bought your guitar blemished or something like i did, which means someone could have left it plugged in for awhile already before they returned it. But oh well, it's like 10 bucks every 300 days if you play the 10 hours that you should play lol

edit: 9v's are like 10 bucks right? i haven't had to buy some yet
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
I'm not sure exactly how long they last, I know I've had my EMG's since last Christmas, and I only have replaced the batteries 3 times. That is also probably cause my Les Paul is my main guitar, and I play a good amount of shows. I also have the 18v mod done to them. which means I go through 2 batteries each time I have to replace them. They just take a standard 9v battery. I also find that cheap, dollar store or drug store brands last longer than Energizer or Duracell.

Edit: A 9V battery around here is like 3 bucks.
Quote by electricsnake

edit: 9v's are like 10 bucks right? i haven't had to buy some yet

maybe half that.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by Blackrose911
yeah and i guess i could always get rechargable batteries

somewhere deep in my brain i remember someone telling me not to use rechargeables in the guitar..not sure if that's right though
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
I make it good habit to change the battery for my EMG's just whenever I re-string and do general tune up which is usually every or every other month.
If you read the site you will find the 3000 hours is for 1 pickup 2 will cut it in half. But yea a ninevolt will last a while if you dont leave it plugged in. The rechargeables dont seem to last so long, if they are a pain to replace not the best way to go. I know the energizer rechargables dont like to hold a charge even when not in use. But yea if you have problems keeping batts in the house when needed may not be the best way to go.
unless you keep your guitar plugged in 24/7, you dont have to change your batteries every so often.

my EMGs 18v modded & standard 9v batteries doesnt even go flat after half a month of use, and i play guitar at more or less 2 hours a day.

But just to play safe, i change batteries every 6 months
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
3000 hours?? That's outstanding. I get 150 hours if i'm lucky, but I don't have emg's. I've got Dimarzio's and a fishman.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
so, where do batteries go in for EMGs? the back of the guitar, or what?

sorry, i'ma noob. haha
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
^ yeah, just a battery door on the back of the guitar.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
ah, gotcha. i'm getting a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser soon, so i want to know how that stuff works before i buy it haha.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
i believe that EMGs still function without batteries, they just sound completely pants, the EMG website is great for information you should have a read on there
http://www.emginc.com/support.asp

the FAQ is on that page, the batteries for the EMGs either go in a seperate battery comparment or inside the control box off your guitar, where all the pots and wiring goes, if the battery does go in there you will also have to tape the battery up using insulation tape so it doesnt fudge around with your pots etc.

Also the batteries last 3000 hours with one pickup and 1500 with 2 thats 4 and 2 years respectively playing 2 hours a day everyday.
EMGs still work without a battery, but you have to turn your amp up ALL THE WAY to barely hear them