if I have $600 to spend on a guitar would I get better quality out of a high end epi or a lower end gibson? I was thinking epi les paul ultra vs. Gibson faded V or SG.
Higher end epiphone.

But, then again, you should always try the guitars out.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Get an edwards, Burny, or greco used off ebay. There about the same price as an epiphone but with the quality of a les paul standard. There awesome gibson clones.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

eh, i think the only epi's that play well are the elitist series, but they're up there in price. people say low-end gibsons are ****, but i have an '03 faded les paul that i'm playing right now and i love it to death.

not saying 'get it because it's a gibson' but from personal experience, they feel and play nicer.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
iunno, but that sg sounds sick
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
if the faded sg plays like my faded les paul... hell yes.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I have a faded gibson SG special, and I absolutely love it. I also tried some nicer SG epiphpones out before I got this. But i've heard a lot of people say that gibson has had some quality control issues with their lower ends like their faded series. But I think I got a good one...

But like someone said, play them both before you buy them. If you like the epiphones feel and tone then go with the epiphone
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by Sean-Man
iunno, but that sg sounds sick

QFT, a kid i know bought one, and under normal playing conditions, headstock snapped off within a few months of owning it.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
^ that sucks. big time.

Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
But i've heard a lot of people say that gibson has had some quality control issues with their lower ends like their faded series.

yeah really, the worst is with the les paul studios imo... they're god awful.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

It's all up to you. Epiphones play the same but feel slightly different to Gibsons. But higher end Epiphones like the Elitist series and Les Paul Classics are way better than the lower end Gibsons. The best Gibson you are gonna get for the lowest price is the Gibson Les Paul Standard and they are dramatically overpriced.

Overall, I'd give them a play and decide yourself. If you can't, go the high end Epiphone because it just owns the lower Gibsons tone-wise and playing-wise. Plus, the only difference is the wood (I think Epiphones use AA grade and Gibsons use AAA grade) and the components used like pcikups and saddle. The lower end Gibsons use almost identical components to the EPiphone but they still sound worse.

In conclusion, higher end Epiphone.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
My epi came stock with Gibson pickups (but mine was a Limited Edition) so if your elitist doesn't you def wanna change it to better pickups (this seems most important to me). Second is the nut, sometimes epi skips out on the nut an uses plastic [or other cheap s***] so you wanna replace that with something like corean (spelling?) [yes this does make a difference!!!!] Third, check the pots, switches and wiring, they tend to cheap out on those and there is nothing more annoying than scratchy pots. The only other thing after that is tuners if they are grovers, your ok, if not you may want to give that a change.,but after that, your up with a Gibson or better.

As far as the nock-off LP's go, though some are decent, i have played a Grecko, and it really did not feel nearly as nice as my epi, theres just something about the way it played that i didn't like, if felt wrong, i kinda felt the quality was lower, but this may be because i just didn't like the way it played like i said.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
^ that sucks. big time.

yeah really, the worst is with the les paul studios imo... they're god awful.

I have a les paul studio and it isn't that horrible.
Please dont start this thread again!!!!

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE
Quote by GNRAGE_2010

ha that's good. you're like me then, with the fadeds anyway.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by GNRAGE_2010

They're 'not horrible' if you cherry-pick the best of the bunch, and if you're not looking for something to be your #1 guitar for years to come.

Even then though, just 'not horrible' does not mean 'good', necessarily. I've played 3 Gibson LP studios, four Epi LP studios (including the limited edition with the Floyd Rose), and the only one that was really any good was the Epi with the FR. And I'm pretty sure that was only because since those were limited runs, they probably took a bit more care over them. The other Epi Studios though were utterly awful, and the Gibson ones were barely any better, nicer pickups but the construction was no better and the end result was still below-par.
Quote by igotabcrich32
QFT, a kid i know bought one, and under normal playing conditions, headstock snapped off within a few months of owning it.

Wow, that sucks. I came into a dark house one night, drunk from a gig with armloads of gear and accidentally kicked my faded v off it's stand onto the floor. wasn't a light kick either. No damage. I can't imagine what might cause a headstock to spontaneously self destruct like that.
LULZ@ THIS THREAD

get the Gibson V, add an OFR with a locking nut, and put in new pick ups and you got a deadly guitar.