I've currently got myself a nice little Crate GTX-212 120 watt amp.
At my band practices I've usually got the thing cranked up half way on the solo channel, but if I go anymore than that the sound deteriorates and doesn't even get louder. After half it stays about the same volume and loses all of it's good tone.

What was wondering is if I got a bigger amp, but of the same brand, just say a head and a cab, would that solve the issue?

(I'm clueless when it comes to gear)
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
you'd have 4 speakers, which would make it somewhat louder.

I have a gt1200h for sale, $350 USD if you're interested

Or you could take the typical UG advice, and "save up and get a nice tube combo, you dont need a halfstack or 100 watts"
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

i have the same problem with my fender amp and fx pedal.. i have no idea how to fix it either..

does your sound completely change when u turn the amp up as well? like set it on a low volume to the tone u want, and wen u turn it up, its completely different??
MD5K
IBANEZ
To Hayzed: The price doesn't matter.
To 6DgOfInTb: I can get it online for a tiny bit over $200 :P
To Torison: Yeah, the tone is absolutely killer all the way up to half.
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
Alright then man, first things first check this thread. Then after you've narrowed it down a bit go check out some amps then come back after you've narrowed it down to like 6 choices then make another thread and we'll help you out.
Where can you buy a 400 dollar amp for 200 dollars o.O

it would be a pain to ship out there anyway
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

cuz generally amps only really go to half (for little combos such as that anyways) any amp reaches it's optimum tone at around half way, i suggest just buying some really good head and cab, if budget doesn't matter, get a mesa dual rec, or an orange thunderveb 50/rocker 30
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Just a quick last question;
Would I be able to get two of these
and then just stuff a GT1200SL head on top?

Edit - Essentially this with another cab below it.
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
ah, i was in the same position as you. except i used a crate glx30 and it'd crap out during practices.

so i bought the 120watt halfstack...

around gigging/jam levels, the sound isn't as what should be expected. playing alone, with the volume low, it sounds decent, but i'm using the same wattage as you, and it won't sound any different.

so please, save your money and go for a nice tube combo which should have:

1. exceptionally better tone
2. no super loud hum at loud levels, which i'm sure you get like i have
3. and could probably be louder than your 120watt crate.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by 6DgOfInTb
Or you could take the typical UG advice, and "save up and get a nice tube combo, you dont need a halfstack or 100 watts"

That's the typical advice for a reason you know.
TS you just described a common problem with solid state amps in general (in your initial thread.) If you get another solid state you will have the same problems at a little higher volume. I would urge you to try out a 15-30 watt tube combo.
I'd rather spend 600 on a 30 - 50 watt tube combo that will sound better the harder I push it, than on a 120watt SS amp with 2 quadboxes that will start sounding like **** at half volume. Not to mention it's a pain in the ass to move.