I was in my pottery class the other day when i came up with a brilliant idea, what would a guitar made out of clay sound like, all i would need to do is get a slab of clay 1 and 3\4 thick, cut the shape out, cut a place for pickups a neck pocket and wiring, and attach a neck in a neck pocket, i dont see y this would not work, and it would be interesting to see what sounds come from it. Does anyone have an opinion on this idea?
TotalyHAB
i think someone here did this last year sometime, or i thought about doing it, i cant remember which
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
That would be nuts. I have a feeling that your tone would be very trebly
yah.. somebody with an invader zim avatar tried it..

lets just say it didn't turn out too good.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Still good luck with that, i would PM some of the more experianced people on this forum namely mods.
Someone at my school made a small one.

It broke.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
i think that if you tried maybe like a smaller model or an electric ukelele, that way the string tension wouldn't be so high that the bridge would come off, it may work out a lil better
Make a bong instead. It wouldn't sound good enough or last long enough to be worth your time to make a guitar.
Teacher that know what they're doing will notice if you make a bong, even if you disguise it as something else. Trust me my mom is an art teacher and she has caught students making them
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
Quote by walker-rose
Teacher that know what they're doing will notice if you make a bong, even if you disguise it as something else. Trust me my mom is an art teacher and she has caught students making them

.... he he I guess I was good at hiding the stuff i made back them, but then again the next year I went back and got kicked out permently of the art room... for an unknown reason.

Yeah, in the art classes, say they are making culptures of say gargoyles, they cant have hollow places in them, or she checks them when the student arnt in
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
Lol, I've made some pretty crazy stuff that people wouldn't expect from me. Shop Class i made a gaval with a hollowed handle that had a screw bottom. Lol couldn't even tell.
Quote by TotalyHAB
I was in my pottery class the other day when i came up with a brilliant idea, what would a guitar made out of clay sound like, all i would need to do is get a slab of clay 1 and 3\4 thick, cut the shape out, cut a place for pickups a neck pocket and wiring, and attach a neck in a neck pocket, i dont see y this would not work, and it would be interesting to see what sounds come from it. Does anyone have an opinion on this idea?

You are going to have a heck of a time getting a sheet that thick to fire without cracking or warping and you will have to deal with the 30% shrinkage you get going from wet to bisque.

Hmmm....

Thinking this through....

Getting the neck pocket the correct size after shrinkage will be rough and not sure how it would hold up to the string tension. That and you would have to plan ahead to leave larger holes that you can plug with wood to hold screws.

Here is an idea. Dont do the whole thickness, just do something 3/8" thick and bond it to a piece of wood then route the wood to match the clay. You would wind up with a pottery topped guitar. You could get that to fire and the wood would stablize the neck. Heh...

Wife has a kiln in the garage...
That's be sweet, but like they said tension would be a problem. I'm just thinking though, maybe if you made it a neck-through with clay wings. Maybe then?
Quote by flashbandit
That's be sweet, but like they said tension would be a problem. I'm just thinking though, maybe if you made it a neck-through with clay wings. Maybe then?

you wouldnt be able to glue clay to wood
Well as long as you made a metal construction going from the neck all the way to the bridge inside of it , yeah i dont see why you couldnt .

Dont expect good tones or stuff but it would definatly be a cool thing to have for show.
I'm sure the guitar would crack like hell.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom- Alpine White
Marshall MG30DFX

Soon To Get:
Keeley Fuzz Head
I'm unsure about my next amp.
Looking for amp with great blues tone.
well it would only have to last for 1 song at a show. paint it like a real guitar, then when you smash it people will be like wtf? (cause normal guitars dont shatter)
Clay shrinks when it's fired, it's very brittle, and that would be a lot of clay.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
it would weigh a ton
...that is all...
Quote by Stop Messin'
Every pic of Jimmy Page taken looking up at him. He looks like a 10 foot tall GOD!
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Clay shrinks when it's fired, it's very brittle, and that would be a lot of clay.

Yes... not only does it shrink roughly 10% when its fired, but I have to believe from my past pottery work that a 1 3/4 inch slab of clay would be 25 pounds if not more
Is it wrong to be strong.... You decide.
tone would suck lol, would probably crack
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Last year in art class I made a full scale Les Paul out of pink Styrofoam insulation. It wasn't functional, it was pretty tricky. But clay might be easier because if you do make a mistake you can correct it with more clay.
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Custom(Alpine White)
-Alvarez RD20S(Natural)
-Ibanez AE20E (Blue)
-Peavey Valveking half stack
-Crate Blue Voodoo 6212
-Boss ME-50
-BC Rich Warlock Exotic w EMG 81

Ashton's Magnum Myspace
kids make pipes in our clay class and the teacher doesn't even realize until it has been fired in the kiln

The guitar would be heavy as hell and the clay shrinks and warps in the kiln
just stick with acrylic guitars if you want to be wierd

interesting concept but a bad idea