I have an audition for a special music course at my college - basically play guitar for credit - and was wondering what the best strategy would be? We're allowed to play around 5 minutes of stuff e.g., a single song, for the instructor then have to answer some theory questions. I've been teaching myself theory so I'll just have to hope I know enough, but I'm not too sure what to do for the playing portion.

There's going to be some competition over the few spots opening up in the fall, and I was wondering whether I should be playing things I'm really solid in, but are easy, or things that I can't quite play up to speed (80% speed clean, 100% speed sloppy), but are hard. Basically, should I choose:

1. The Easier Set
  • Intro of Green-Tinted Sixties Mind OR Buckethead's Finger Nubbing OR Eruption's Tapping Part
  • Solo of Green-Tinted Sixties Mind OR Giant Robot Theme ala Buckethead
  • Fuguetta OR Big Sur Moon
  • E-Pro riffs OR Slow Ride riffs

or

2. The Harder Set
  • Eugene's Trick Bag
  • Paul Gilbert's Mr. Big Solo in Tokyo (the exceptional bits at the beginning)

or some mix of both? I know none of the songs are particularly hard by other people's standards, but the instructor said the audition is about showing him that we're passionate guitar and to show him what we can do so...yeah. Besides, making the jump from downpicking Smells Like Teen Spirit to Alternate Picking, String Skipping, Tapping, etc over the summer wasn't exactly easy on my fingers!

Thanks UG
Welcome to BUCKETHEADLAND

Last edited by Colonel Sanders : Yesterday at 10:54 PM.
My suggestion would be to play something suitable for whatever the guitar technique topic may be for the class. When I was at music school, I knew of some courses that required an audition that were for country playing, progressive rock, etc. Different genres mean different audition pieces. If you are completely up in the open, I would suggest doing the Mr. Big Solo. Eugene's Trick Bag is a little too campy for me. If this is a class where you will be playing with other musicians, you may want to pick a piece that is more suitable for ensemble playing.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
it would be funny if all the people there at the audition were classical guitar freaks with long fingernails
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Hehe well all the classical guitarists will most likely be auditioning for the separate Acoustic Guitar program although I did see one guy show up for the last Electric Guitar audition with an Acoustic...

Anyway to clear things up a bit, it's not really a specialized course like those in music colleges per se, but more of an opportunity provided by the college to give some students some one on one time with an established musician.

If we get accepted, we sign a "contract" stating that we will meet once a week, for two hours, with the instructor for three terms - after which we get a grade on our effort, progress, etc. During that time, he'll guide us on our neverending musical journey or whatnot and help us develop our technique, musicality, etc. It's more of a holistic thing, not really too specific or anything like that.

Thanks for the tips. I probably have to learn a bit more of the Mr. Big Solo if I want to play that by itself, or maybe I'll throw in Green-Tinted Sixties Mind and a few other Paul Gilbert things for a "theme."
Welcome to BUCKETHEADLAND

Last edited by Colonel Sanders : Yesterday at 10:54 PM.
^ur not supposed to improvise the thing? can u play a backing track?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
it would be funny if all the people there at the audition were classical guitar freaks with long fingernails

I resent that.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by ECistheBest

I play classical guitar and have no long nails, thank you very much.

TS, I would recommend you choose the set you are more confident and demonstrate your musical capabilities with it. By this, I mean not only hitting the right notes, but adding musicality. Crescendos, diminuendos, maybe add personal feeling to each one, seeing that it's all modern music, improvise. You have to show you are a musician because that's what they are looking for.
^You too will succumb. Oh yes.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
No man, I'm playing nailess in order to build up callousses in my right hand, just like flamencos. The sound I get is nicer as well, and only a slight bit softer.