Page 1 of 2
well at band practise yesterday my rythum guitarist didnt have his guitar with him so he rented one at the stuidios, they gave him a gibson LP standard, durin the practise my high E snapped so i used the gibson from then on fo around 2 hours as i do all the solos for my band.
anyway i have to say why is there so much hype about gibson's? i was realy realy dissapointed with it seeing as it costs 1.2K ? my schecters is half that price and IMO plays a thousand times better and IMO again the specs are better.

this is not a rant on gibson just saying that for the price they suck ass tbh...
sorry to all who like them.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
They are the most overpriced guitars ever made. All they are good for is collecting. I do like the tones of a LP though but there is no way to justify the price tag on them.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Last edited by IBANEZ_EDGE at Sep 10, 2007,
Why are some people so surprised to find out that they are the most overrated and over priced guitars there are?
Want a les paul? Get a copy of one.

Want a strat? Get a copy of one.

There's some well made copies out there that doesn't cost you an arm or a leg or both.
Quote by _3Lm0_
Why are some people so surprised to find out that they are the most overrated and over priced guitars there are?

because when u meet another guitar player you assume they have around the same amount of knowlage as you do, yeah?...

but often they dont... i can garrente you that a UGer has more knowlage then sum one who has been playing the same amount of time as them who isnt a UGer... LOL.

but anyway when u meet another guitarist often theyre like dudeee gibsons are t3h pWwwWwWnnnnnnN.

get me?
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

You're all sitting here slamming Gibsons, when some of the greatest guitar gods of all time swore by them, and some still do.

I don't get it, and from a personal standpoint I love the way LP's both feel and sound.

It's like people who sit there and call bands like The Beatles, and Pink Floyd overrated pieces of sh*t. It doesn't make you cool just because you can make some iconoclastic statement.
It comes down to personal taste. If you prefer Schecter, great. I'd rather have a Les Paul, but that doesn't mean that my LP is better than your Schecter. It's just better for me. Nothing more.
i think he was ranting about the "value for money" thing,and in this i would agree, in case of value for money you may get better value for money from other guitars other than les pauls that usually cost the earth!
this has nothing to do with brand comparisons
Yeah i know what you mean. I played a Flying V, and though i just find it the coolest guitar ever made, i found it rather heavy and unplayable, compared to my okay washburn
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Quote by Alijonroth
i think he was ranting about the "value for money" thing,and in this i would agree, in case of value for money you may get better value for money from other guitars other than les pauls that usually cost the earth!
this has nothing to do with brand comparisons

I get what you're saying, but there are those that feel Gibsons are worth the high cost. Gauging value can be just as subjective as comparing brands. There are some people who would rather drive a Honda, just as there are those who would rather drive a Hyundai because they're less expensive and/or perceived to be more economical. Neither choice is "wrong" per se, it's for the individual buyer to decide what's right for them.
yea i agree gibsons are overpriced but i think prs guitars are damn worth it. how i crave for a singlecut
They're great guitars, and their sound and feel it's simply trademark, but yeah, they've gotten too expensive. I mean, they're top quality, but the price they ask for them isn't worth all that quality (well, like most top level guitars nowadays, except PRS, they're the only ones worth the high price).
The best you can do nowadays if you want a real LP (I've tried lots of copies and no one comes close to the real thing, so no more copies for me, just the Gibby);

1. Get a used one
2. Get an old one (pre 90's)
3. Save up like mad and get a new one if you're willing to, but I wouldn't do it xD

Anyway, always try them first, 'cause there's one clear thing about Gibbys: they're not for everybody. You either love them (like me) or hate them.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
im just saying that i expected more and that it generaly sucked complete ****ing ass for the price. also i just said that my schecter is better IMO. and the specs..

mahagony<---> mahagony
OFR ---> T.O.M
81 / 85 ---> burst buckers
ultra accsess --> set neck
hellraiser finnish ( black cherry ) --->Gibbys finish

thats all IMO though. just what i think oh also
$650 -------------------------------------------------------------> $1300
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

You pay for the name.

And the reason that 'big bands' use them is simply because they can afford them, and/or Gibson is happy to give them guitars for free on the obligation that they are seen with them.
Quote by PanHead

Want a strat? Get a copy of one.

Why? Strats...actually, Fender's in general are some of the best priced guitars out there. You really do get what you pay for.

Gibsons though are a hit or miss affair. Sometimes you'll get a dreamy guitar and others you'll get something that's not worth half its ticket price.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
The same playability which you discredit is praised by others.

It's a matter of taste.

(though they still are overpriced)
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
gordon smith/edwards/japanese tokai/burny/greco/fernandes etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by bodomfan666
im just saying that i expected more and that it generaly sucked complete ****ing ass for the price. also i just said that my schecter is better IMO. and the specs..

mahagony<---> mahagony
OFR ---> T.O.M
81 / 85 ---> burst buckers
ultra accsess --> set neck
hellraiser finnish ( black cherry ) --->Gibbys finish

thats all IMO though. just what i think oh also
$650 -------------------------------------------------------------> $1300

gibson mahogany will be better than schecter...

Quote by Kurapica
Why? Strats...actually, Fender's in general are some of the best priced guitars out there. You really do get what you pay for.

i dunno... i mean you can get a blade strat for about £350, which is similar to MIM fender, and the blade is nicer if you ask me. Also if you're lucky you can sometimes find a tokai strat for under £300 (which is cheaper than MIM) and they're far superior to MIM... though granted you may have to go second hand to find one...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i wouldn't say i've been let down. most of the gibsons I've tried have been decent to nice guitars. Just they need to cut the price in half. If not by 3/5.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well with Gibsons I'm fine (except the price) it's just the finished neck on them, and the chunkiness, I dont need a super thin neck like on my Ibanez but I dont like the block on the les Paul, the only les paul types that I love are the PRS singelcuts! Gawd are they awesome.
Nowadays, if you want a nice Strat or Les Paul without going out of money for it; either get a MIJ Fender, which are as good as the MIA for half the price, or in the other case, a high end MIJ Tokai Love Rock which are as good as the MIA Gibson for half the price. In fact, I think Japanese guitars (appart from ESP and Ibanez) would sell more if people gave them a try, 'cause quality wise, they're at the same level as any other maker.
- Alhambra 5P
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- Dunlop Cry Baby
agreed wholeheartedly. MIJ is where it's at. I also really like the british guitar companies, though granted they're only really good value in the UK.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love english made amps liek Laney, Orange and the older Marshalls (I like the new ones but the older ones that bit more) are ones that are very good!

Never played a made in the UK guitar though.
Only ever MIJ, MIA or MI-some third world country in which some poor kid is bleeding himself to death making my guitar.
Quote by As a Holy Gift
You're all sitting here slamming Gibsons, when some of the greatest guitar gods of all time swore by them, and some still do.

I don't get it, and from a personal standpoint I love the way LP's both feel and sound.

It's like people who sit there and call bands like The Beatles, and Pink Floyd overrated pieces of sh*t. It doesn't make you cool just because you can make some iconoclastic statement.

I don't give a crap what people swear by. I've played Gibsons I liked. I love the way LPs sound too but they cost too damn much for what you get and Gibson's quality control is total ****.

BTW, the Beatles suck.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I love english made amps liek Laney, Orange and the older Marshalls (I like the new ones but the older ones that bit more) are ones that are very good!

Only ever MIJ, MIA or MI-some third world country in which some poor kid is bleeding himself to death making my guitar.

Laney and old Marshall amps are my favourite along with Fender and Peavey. It's just that there's one kind of amp for every situation (Fender for clean, Marshall for overdrive, Peavey for distortion, and Laney for quite a lot of everything). The same with guitars. It's just about trying them all and find the ones you like for every situation
- Alhambra 5P
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- Dunlop Cry Baby
It just amounts to what you're used to and preference. Especially with the
mass produced factory and even Custom shop LP models. They aren't particularly
stand outs.

But if you said the same thing after trying either my Gibson L5S's or Super 400, I'd
have to think you're a bit nuts.
Quote by Punk_Ninja

yeah. i mean i have nothing against US-made stuff either, some of it is badass (tyler, soldano etc.). Just we seem to pay a premium for it here, when we have stuff which is made here which is just as good, if not better...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
From the specs and what you like from your Schecter, it sounds like you're not really after what Gibson is making anyway. Due to your preference for the EMG's and OFR, it seems like you're really into shred/metal, whereas the Gibsons are more suited for classic rock and the like.

Also, Dave, we get MIM standards for $400 (like 200 pounds I guess?). So I think with that kind of stuff it really does depend a lot on where you are. If you're in the US though, then I'm with Kurapica on that Fenders (not so sure on the artist series/custom shop ones, since I've never really gotten to play one) you get a really great guitar for the price, assuming that's what you want anyway.
^ yep, definitely. though kurapica is in the UK...

but yeah, an MIM strat here is around £300 (and that's if you get a good deal), which is around $600, i think. plenty of the smaller shops would try to sell them for closer to £400 ($800), which is downright daft if you ask me.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the gibson les paul studio is the best gibson ive ever played, its a dreamy guitar but the price tag is sickening
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Fender Mini Tweed Twin-Amp
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
Quote by gibsonpenguin
From the specs and what you like from your Schecter, it sounds like you're not really after what Gibson is making anyway. Due to your preference for the EMG's and OFR, it seems like you're really into shred/metal, whereas the Gibsons are more suited for classic rock and the like.

Also, Dave, we get MIM standards for $400 (like 200 pounds I guess?). So I think with that kind of stuff it really does depend a lot on where you are. If you're in the US though, then I'm with Kurapica on that Fenders (not so sure on the artist series/custom shop ones, since I've never really gotten to play one) you get a really great guitar for the price, assuming that's what you want anyway.

i agree fender is really one of the best bang for the buck guitars you can find... and the classic mim guitars are just orgasmic...and for 600 dollars it hard to lose

the standard levels are fine, but if you save up an extra hundred for the special models then you will see that the made in mexico instruments can be fairly brilliant

the one lp i played that i absolutly loved was on sale second hand for around 600, had a wine red finish, a glossy finished rosewood fret board and had two p 90's,,, it was amazing
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by As a Holy Gift

It's worth pointing out that the greatest guitar gods of all time were mostly born into a Fender vs Gibson culture where Schetcher, Dean, Ibanez, and ESP were either not yet existant, or tiny startups that no big name fellow would want to be caught dead with. The times are a changin'.
Quote by As a Holy Gift

1,000,000,000++++++++++++

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Schecter C1 Classic
Ovation CS257
Drive Stratocaster copy

Traynor YCV80 all Tube
Pignose G40V Tube Amp

Ibanez TS9
Digitech GNX2
Line6 POD
Fostex MR8HD multitrack recorder
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yep, definitely. though kurapica is in the UK...

but yeah, an MIM strat here is around £300 (and that's if you get a good deal), which is around $600, i think. plenty of the smaller shops would try to sell them for closer to £400 ($800), which is downright daft if you ask me.

Damn, that's how much we get MIA strats for! For those prices though, I'm definitely with you, in that you could probably get a really good copy for a better price. However, over here in the states, I less than three Fenders. (Aside from the fact that I don't really see that many really good strat copies anyway)
Quote by gibsonpenguin
Damn, that's how much we get MIA strats for! For those prices though, I'm definitely with you, in that you could probably get a really good copy for a better price. However, over here in the states, I less than three Fenders. (Aside from the fact that I don't really see that many really good strat copies anyway)

yeah, as always, location is the important thing. i know that if I got stuff for US prices, i'd probably have a few fenders and mesas by now...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Its more likely your guitar plays better than the gibson simply because your guitar is set up FOR YOU. most stock or someone elses setup will likely have a different string gauge, different action, neck curve etc etc, possibly making it uncomfortable for someone else to play on.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
Its more likely your guitar plays better than the gibson simply because your guitar is set up FOR YOU. most stock or someone elses setup will likely have a different string gauge, different action, neck curve etc etc, possibly making it uncomfortable for someone else to play on.

No it's because Gibsons suck. lolol and the Beatles.
Page 1 of 2