I read the various FAQs and rules, and I wasn't sure where this belongs, so I figured "it's a question about my electric guitar, so I'll put it in the electric guitar forum."

So here's the deal. When I play on certain frets, particularly the higher frets on the higher strings (e and B strings particularly) the sound does not resonate evenly, it quavers very rapidly producing a very unpleasant sound.

I don't think it's a problem with the electronics, because I can hear the sound acoustically as well. It almost sounds like some kind of harmonic. I recorded a sample of the sound, just so can hear what I'm talking about.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0FVQ0L90

I carefully muted the other strings, so there were no other strings ringing. I was simply playing the 10th fret on the high e string.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? It's driving me nuts.
I think i know wats probably wrong with ur guitar. The freted string r not sounding out clear (or buzzing) because the string ur pressing down is not just touching the intended fret, but others too.

There are a number of possibilities:
1. You might need to adjust the action on ur guitar....ive faced similar problems on the higher frets before and was able to fix it by messing around with the action a bit. There are several articles in UG dealing with Action.

2. The frets on your guitar might be wearing out and need replacement or evened out, a guitar tech can do that for u easily.

3. You might be able to fix it by adjusting the neck nut....but let me warn u that if u dont have experiance with it, do NOT think about messing around with it because it might just make things worse for u.
What the guy above said. Sounds like an intonation problem. I just spent £50 getting my acoustic set up, and it still has that... so much, that there are uneven harmonics when tuning... I'm most annoyed.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Yep, the technical term i guess would be intonation.....it can be a bi*ch. There are articles on intonation here on UG.
like said.

raise ur action make sure u arent getting any fret buzz.
what type of guitar?

and then check ur tuning at the 12th fret.
ur intonation.

sometimes sympathetic notes will ring out. but making sure these other two things are in check can help.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The guitar is set up. It's properly intonated, and the neck is at a proper curvature. I've tried raising the action to alleviate the problem, but that didn't help. It could be the condition of the frets, but I don't think so, they look like they're in pretty good shape.

Any other suggestions?
Does your guitar have a trem?

It could be the springs ringing.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Take a closer look at the frets. Do you see grooves under each string? Especially the three unwound ones? If so the frets need leveling.

That means when you fret a note the string goes lower than at other frets or lower than it should and buzzes slightly on the next fret up.

Usually this is more a problem closer to the nut, unless you play a whole lot on higher notes. But after listening to the sound file that's what it sounds like. I've seen some horrendous fret grooves, especially on used guitars I've bought.

The one pictured is a guitarI worked on about 2 years ago. (Fender Strat) It had fingernail grooves in the fretboard too, and some major fret grooves. You could just about go skateboarding on some of these grooves. This guitar had no intonation at all, buzzed everywhere and had been dropped too so a piece was broken where the neck joins the body and had to be glued back together.

If your frets look like that, they need to be leveled. If it's been set up recently by a shop, don't take it to the same guy, he should have spotted that.
Attachments:
fret_groove.jpg
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
The guitar doesn't have a tremolo. It's an Ibanez SZ320 with a gibraltar bridge and a string-thru body.

I set the guitar up myself. I don't think it's worth the money I don't have to bring it to a shop and have them set it up. Besides, the set up should be fine, by all ostensible means.

The frets are in good condition, no grooves. I'm pretty stumped here.
check out the third problem down from the top...

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/buzzing.htm

they call it sympathetic buzz.

i cant tell for sure because i cant hear ur clip.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Guys (and girl(s)), it's pretty simple to use that site to download his file. Type in whatever it asks you to in the centre-right section of the screen, then wait a minute, then click the link.

Sounds like a bridge or a nut problem to me. No diagnosis though.
Quote by Don_Humpador
Guys (and girl(s)), it's pretty simple to use that site to download his file. Type in whatever it asks you to in the centre-right section of the screen, then wait a minute, then click the link.

Sounds like a bridge or a nut problem to me. No diagnosis though.

yeah honestly. i dont like to download from random sites. id prefer a direct link.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

the last few posts were talking about ur music download site. nothing to do with ur guitar problem.

just read over post #11 and see if that fits the noise.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62