I recently built a new footswitch for my ENGL Powerball, to replace the Z5 board as I only really use the Master A/B thing and 2 channels so I don't like using that monster! I also use a couple of pedals in front of the amp. It got me to thinking.. it would be great to have one behemoth cable coming from the amp to a pedal board at the front of the stage that carries the following:
Signal from guitar to preamp (ie. plug guitar into box at front of stage rather than amp)
Signal from amp to effects, and back again
Power rail for pedals
A few other lines for the amp footswitch

I'd be surprised if nobody's done something like this before. Really my question is would it be feasible to do this with one multi-conductor cable? How would it need to be shielded? Any other caveats?

Cheers!
yeh, it's usually called a snake - basically just a load of cables bundled together with braiding, spiral wrap or heat-shrink. I have one that carries power, two midi lines and an insert loop for my wah pedal that goes from my rack to the floorboard at the front of stage. All the connectors separate at both ends, but you colour code them to make it easy to plug everything in. The band also has pre-made snakes for connecting the monitors, FOH sound etc.
GB&C Pedal Builders and Mod Squadron
vBulletin Message

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own buddy list.

Bugger
Ahhh right. I suppose I could do it with heatshrink or something... that would make it easy. Would there be a problem with using some multicore cable with like 6 pairs as long as it was shielded appropriately for audio stuff? Would that work for power as well?
Quote by snarez
Ahhh right. I suppose I could do it with heatshrink or something... that would make it easy. Would there be a problem with using some multicore cable with like 6 pairs as long as it was shielded appropriately for audio stuff? Would that work for power as well?

I'm not too sure about running power right next to signal cables, especially within one conduit. If you are using any effects with a decent amount of gain, it's possible that they'll start making quite a bit of unwanted noise.
I think you could do it if you used separate cables for both power and signal and used decent shielded cable for both.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Yeah I wasn't too sure about that. Might give it a go just bundling some cables up with flexo!
OK so apparently the power isn't an issue seeing as it's DC and would introduce no noise. But I have a couple of other questions.

1) I notice most of you guys (and on other forums) use the multicore cable with individually foil wrapped pairs (to minimise crosstalk?). Is this really a big deal? The electronics engineer dude here is telling me that this is overkill because the voltages would be so low as to have almost zero crosstalk in the first place. What sayeth you guys?

2) Out of each pair you use one wire for the signal and one for ground, yeah? If you used the main braid sheild for a common ground you'd have problems with ground loops?

3) Would it be a problem to use something like a D plug at the pedal board end going into a breakout box rather than having a bunch of individual 3.5mm jacks/etc?

Thanks!
A few years back I was helping at Cornerstone Florida fest and some guy showed up with a huge rig....playing on a showcase stage, where the bands have a 30 minute set and 10 minutes to switch equipment over. But he got his entire rig up and running in about 3. Two flight cases held speaker cabinets, a third held all of his processing gear and amps. He had metal conduit (that kind that flexes) going from the middle case to his floorboard, the floorboard was part of hsi rack, so he just shoves the cable and floorboard into the bottom of the case....or pullsit out. One power cable and he's done. Wireless guitar rig, so all he does is flip one switch and he's on. I was impressed.