Im currently thinking about buying a new bass but there are a few things im not sure of.

Id like white jazz bass (probably active jazz or a jazz 24) but thing is i dont want a pickguard/scratchplate but if i take them off ill be left with screw holes what can i do about that?

That and what do people think of the Aerodyne Jazz Bass/p bass and Active P bass special?

Two in one to not waste forum space lol.
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Well, personally I'd just leave the pickguard on. If you're really that desperate you'd probably have to sand off all the paint, fill the holes with wood filler, and re-paint.
or just fill in the holes and cover em with liquid paper
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
i just bought an american deluxe jazz bass its active and its incredible
as for the pick guard thats one of the things that sold it to me, just how it looked
but yeah id recommend the jazz for sure
i tried the precision and it gives you a much heavier sound where as the jazz is more punchy
I've got a P-bass special, and the pick guard covers all the internals, so as far as I can think, you wouldn't be able to use it without the pick guard in place. Dunno how the Aerodyne is set up, though.
Quote by shifty333
i just bought an american deluxe jazz bass its active and its incredible
as for the pick guard thats one of the things that sold it to me, just how it looked
but yeah id recommend the jazz for sure
i tried the precision and it gives you a much heavier sound where as the jazz is more punchy

I just bought the Mexican version . gorgeous. I'd recommend an active jazz for sure
Originally Posted by filthandfury

haha

I congratulate you good sir on being EPIC.
Many modern Fenders have CNC machine holes under their pickguards, so keep that in mind.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
yer, if u remove the pick guard, you will get the holes showing. but you can always fill them in. Or just buy a better pick guard, there pennies of Ebay etc.
Yeh the thing is i love the duff white jazz no pickguard look.

edit: Sorry ot seem ignorant but CNC machine holes are different to regular holes how?
Last edited by sven_cliffy at Sep 11, 2007,
Quote by sven_cliffy
Yeh the thing is i love the duff white jazz no pickguard look.

edit: Sorry ot seem ignorant but CNC machine holes are different to regular holes how?

CNC machines use those holes as points of reference when making cuts. They look like they're in the middle of nowhere.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
You mean like this??

Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
Yes, That kind sir is beautiful. But even then i wouldent even have the silver thing (not sure what its called) under the knobs.
Ah yeah, the bell plate. Kind of essential for me as all the electronics are attached to it
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
That is very nice! i took the scratch plate off my Jazz once, kinda liked the look of it, but the holes are a downfall:

Quote by sven_cliffy

That and what do people think of the Aerodyne Jazz Bass/p bass and Active P bass special?

I own an Aerodyne and it's bloody gorgeous. I wasn't entirely sold on it at first (I mostly just picked it up 'cause I wanted an all-black or all-white bass with no pickguard; kinda like you, heh), but after playing it I was totally blown away, had to buy it on the spot. It's just so easy to handle, so comfortable, lighter than most basses of course, yet it doesn't seem to have had to lose any sustain, and it's tone seems to have just a touch more high-end than others, but it's barely noticeable (and personally, I like my basses to sound like that anyway).

That said, I don't think they come in a white option, only black with cream binding, so if you're really after that, it'll be pointless you looking at the Aerodyne.

As far as an all-white Fender bass goes with no pickguard... I know I've seen Duff McKagan playing an all-white Jazz Special (P-bass pickup on the neck, J-bass style on the bridge) which didn't have a pickguard, and that looked stunning. I've looked into getting one of those before though, and it seems they stopped making them sometime in the early 90's. I've tried finding other Fender basses in a similar style, and nothing else comes up at all, the Jazz Special has been the only one I've ever found in all-white.