Long version:
ssoo.. im gonna treat myself to a new amp soon i know roughly what i want/what i want to try, and none of the local music stores in my area stock anything like what i want to get...(most just stock mg's and line 6) so i figure i gotta go a bit further out to get summat half decent, maybe take a road trip to somewhere

now i know there is a large guitar type superstore in brighton (guitar amp and keyboard). i just wanted to know if anyone knew of any other large stores like this in the uk that were worth taking a look at, if im looking to road trip i may aswell take a look at all options.

Short version:
does anyone know any larger guitar shops in the south of england other then guitar amp and keyboard?
Go to London, down Denmark Street. All the guitaringyou could ever hope for
Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
Well In the SE we have GAK in Brighton, Andertons in Guildford, Bonners in Bournmouth, PMT in Southend and of course in Londres we have Denmark street which contains many small shops plus Rose Morris and Soho soundhouse and round the corner is the Sound Control Virgin. Oh and Wembly Guitar Center. There are many more but I cant think of them off the top of my head.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Theres also Nevada Music in Portsmouth which is pretty good and theres a Sound Control in Southampton.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
there's another one in southhampton i think, it always advertises in guitarist- i think they're rivera dealers. can't think of the name offhand, though.

if you're willing to get to london, you also have denmark street, sound control, wembley guitar centre, chandlers, holiday music etc. (not all of those are close- you'd probably need a couple of days to hit all of those).

if you're willing to go slightly further afield, there's the oxford guitar gallery and machinehead in hitchin (about half an hour north of central london on the train), and coda music (luton i think? it's on the same line as machinehead- i think they have a few stores though).

EDIT: these are in addition to the ones already mentioned above.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Anderton's in Guildford also have quite a large stock of guitars.

Edit: I like browsing Denmark street however I find it tends to be quite expensive.
colchester has two very good guitar shops.

The first, trevor durrants. Stocks basicly every marshall amp including the vintage modern and they also stock mesa's.

The second is music warehouse. Not so good on amps but they have alot of orange amps and this shop seems to have very good prices.

Both have web sites but trevordurrents isent updated much.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
o.k i checked out a few online and they all seem to be good but does anyone know any..... larger stores or is that as big as they're gonna get in the u.k?
denmark street isn't too good for amps, the PMT shops, especially birmingham, are awesome though, they have a massive range of amps.
Quote by yogurt_overdose
Go to London, down Denmark Street. All the guitaringyou could ever hope for

+100 million^23432480932432984372439284

Denmark street nearly killed me. i wanted to get some food cus i was hungry, but i just couldn't leave without looking in just one more guitar shop... by the time i'd looked in them all it was 3 hours later and i was 3 hours hungrier... if that makes sense.

Thing is, in denmark street i seem to think that you could only get vox amps, maybe the odd fender. Vox were the only ones i noticed, i was too distracted by how many rickenbackers there were (they are VERY rare around here)
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by stratele

The first, trevor durrants. Stocks basicly every marshall amp including the vintage modern and they also stock mesa's.

The second is music warehouse. Not so good on amps but they have alot of orange amps and this shop seems to have very good prices.

+1, They're both great stores
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by schnips63
o.k i checked out a few online and they all seem to be good but does anyone know any..... larger stores or is that as big as they're gonna get in the u.k?

guitar guitar is pretty big, but they aren't anywhere near london... some of the sound controls can be quite big too. At the end of the day though, the size of the shop doesn't always reflect how good it is. it could be full of starter gear, etc.

Quote by roastchicken
denmark street isn't too good for amps, the PMT shops, especially birmingham, are awesome though, they have a massive range of amps.

there's a pmt in oxford, i think. i haven't been, but it's probably worth a look, especially if you're going to the oxford guitar gallery as well (throroughly recommended, it's the epitome of a badass shop).

first time i was in denmark street, the amp selection was pretty poor... second time, though, rhodes (i think that's the one) had a pretty decent selection (peavey, h&k etc.), and turnkey/soho soundhouse has some nice amps too.

it's still not amazing, though, and the wembley guitar centre is better, and it's not too far away- about 20 minutes on the tube from bond street, if i remember correctly. soundproof testing room too, which is good for t3h br00talz.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wembley guitar center maybe?
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
Quote by halikus
Andertons in Guildford,

Please tell me that was a joke?...

That's a dreadful DREADFUL store.

TS: How much money do you have (roughly) for this new amp? What sort of tones are you after? Some shops are better than others for certain things... Also are you willing to buy second hand?

Oh and Denmark St. is worth a look if you can get to london easily, you'll be able to try most of the orange line, most mesa boogies, most marshalls, some hiwatts, a few vintage things etc. etc. But there are better places around if you're looking for specific styles/deals.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
if you are thinking of going to denmark street, then dont bother. go five minutes up the road to the sound control in virgin megastores.

the denmark street shops are good if you want like, vintage but they are all pretty expensive and the staff arent exactly always helpful.

sound control is pretty good tho. its massive, and theres no attitude or anything when you wanna go in and try out a £1000 les paul or a £3000 electric drumkit or whatever. they just plug you in and let you get on with it, and they just generally dont seem to be dicks.

and one of the staff in there came up to me and shook my hand because i was playing at the drive-in, so big up to him too.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Quote by stratele

I never knew that, Colchester is reasonably close to me, I may have to venture to them, the closest I have is PMTs in Southend, which although everyone is saying is good, it really isnt that great.

They stock two or three good tube amps, then the majority of the rest are MGs/AVTs or their equivelent in another brand. Although I will cut em some slack with guitars, they do have some tasty guitars, especially strat-wise, they stock pretty much one of everything, from the Squire, MIM standards, Classic Players, up to American deluxes, and some sig models (SRV sig model, but it was sold and I couldnt try it )
Quote by power freak

TS: How much money do you have (roughly) for this new amp? What sort of tones are you after? Some shops are better than others for certain things... Also are you willing to buy second hand?

i have £400 for new amp an after something that can do from classic rock to more modern rock/indie, not interested in metal at all. And i am willing to buy second hand.
for new at that price, you'd have laney vc30, hughes and kettner edition tube, marshall dsl401, probably some others I'm missing. second hand opens up a few more options (laney tt, orange rocker 30, etc.).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks for the help guys and for the record i went to Wembley guitar centre and i think i would definatly recommend it, 3 soundproof room to try stuff in, the sales guys were very helpfull and friendly and didnt put me under any pressure to buy stuff, and i was impressed with the range they carried
Last edited by schnips63 at Sep 24, 2007,
Quote by FunkasPuck
if you are thinking of going to denmark street, then dont bother. go five minutes up the road to the sound control in virgin megastores.

the denmark street shops are good if you want like, vintage but they are all pretty expensive and the staff arent exactly always helpful.

sound control is pretty good tho. its massive, and theres no attitude or anything when you wanna go in and try out a £1000 les paul or a £3000 electric drumkit or whatever. they just plug you in and let you get on with it, and they just generally dont seem to be dicks.

and one of the staff in there came up to me and shook my hand because i was playing at the drive-in, so big up to him too.

Tru dat, Sound Control is awesome, they gave me and a couple of friends some funny looks, as it was out of school times, but they have a tonne of gear there, and generally seem willing to let you try it out.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Quote by schnips63
i have £400 for new amp an after something that can do from classic rock to more modern rock/indie, not interested in metal at all. And i am willing to buy second hand.

Buy my amp! It's perfect for what you want; Ashdown FA60DSP, all tube, perfect for those kinds of tones. The link to the eBay auction is in my sig if you're interested.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Buy my amp! It's perfect for what you want; Ashdown FA60DSP, all tube, perfect for those kinds of tones. The link to the eBay auction is in my sig if you're interested.

missed the boat there mate if you read before you posted the shameless advertising you would realise i already went and got me an amp
Quote by schnips63
missed the boat there mate if you read before you posted the shameless advertising you would realise i already went and got me an amp

...Your post doesn't say anything about having bought an amp, it just says you went to a shop and it was good but whatever, I tried...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by schnips63
thanks for the help guys and for the record i went to Wembley guitar centre and i think i would definatly recommend it, 3 soundproof room to try stuff in, the sales guys were very helpfull and friendly and didnt put me under any pressure to buy stuff, and i was impressed with the range they carried

yep, it's a nice shop. Not uber-nice like, say, guitar guitar or the oxford guitar gallery, but still very nice, and the soundproof rooms are the clincher...

Quote by the_astronaut
Tru dat, Sound Control is awesome, they gave me and a couple of friends some funny looks, as it was out of school times, but they have a tonne of gear there, and generally seem willing to let you try it out.

yeah i like how you don't have to feel guilty about trying loads of stuff in SC as it's a chain.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?