sorry, im new to metalcore music and i know its a pretty stupid question to post in the hardcore forum.
but i've been hearing the words breakdown for millions of times.
and i just wanna know what it is
Well to me it's another word for the bridge or break of a song, but you probably mean something else .
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
well after the second verse, before a solo, or after a solo, sometimes the band does what is called a breakdown, where they change the riff/feel of the song for a few measures. Its usually sudden and abrupt. Maybe all the instruments stop playing except the drums, or maybe the guitar with a new riff. This breaks the repetition of hearing the chorus/verse riff over and over. Then the songs usually build-up and explode back into the chorus 2 more times and then end the song.

Thats a breakdown in Structure terms, may be something else in hardcore music, but thats my guess.
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
A stop and go (chugging) Bridge with catchy pausing.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
its slowed-down part of the song with brutal and teared guitar soundings and simple drums part when bass drum actually doubles the guitar
for exampe, the ending of Hatebreed - Call Of Blood
світ втомився від вас
^ Truez. Was a quite good film considering, I mean, who honestly thought rednecks in the middle of nowhere would do that kind of stuff? I haven't seen that kind of southern insanity since The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Needs to be more I think.
rites of nothing.
No to what most people said in this thread.

The breakdown is where the tempo slows down then gradually increases to origional speed
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
It's when the band couldn't think of a riff so they go 'chugga-chugga' while you go outside to smoke a bowl. You might have to walk past kids fighting invisible ninjas to get outside though.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
slow heavy part of the song where you just make a rythym using the first open strings with the cymbals crashing . listen to the last 30 seconds of the song stiletto by symphony in peril
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
a breakdown is basically the happiest part of the song where you just feel so free and you just want to run butt ass naked through wheat fields with furry forest animals and butterflies screaming epic stories of long lost girlfriends and hardships and maybe a little story about death. You also might see some other happy people trying to fight off and swat the bees that are flying around the circular field.
The average breakdown takes place after a fast part and a build up where all the xTUFFx kids start running back and forth across the floor, then theres a quick pause, the singer yells something absolutely ridiculous, then the chugging starts (you could say this is the point when all hell breaks loose). The rest is history.
"its where they play one note but really slow"

lolz
Quote by werty22
They're not talking about hardcore punk, they're talking about "hardcore." It has little in common with its roots in the '80s.

Quote by recklessnick
when i ask questions. people reply with a stupid green smiley face sign

Heres lookin to you
A style of guitar riff used in Hardcore (punk) music that consists of a single note being chugged slowly for maximum heaviness and brutality. Different rhythms and numbers of strums are used in a repeated fashion for usually 2 to 4 bars in length. Written equilivent: JUD-JUD, JUD-JUD, JUDJUDJUDJUD, JUD-JUD, JUD-JUD ...and so forth.

Great for hardcore dancing.
I heard if you say "breakdown" to a mirror three times in a locked bathroom, a riff comes booming in so heavy that your head explodes! YIKES!
Quote by SadistNation
a breakdown is basically the happiest part of the song where you just feel so free and you just want to run butt ass naked through wheat fields with furry forest animals and butterflies screaming epic stories of long lost girlfriends and hardships and maybe a little story about death. You also might see some other happy people trying to fight off and swat the bees that are flying around the circular field.

Oh god hahaha
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
This thread bores me.
All-O-Gistics:

Thou shalt always go for greatness
Thou shalt not commit adulthood (ALL)
Thou shalt not partake of decaf (ALL!)
Thou shalt not have no idea (ALL)
Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for all (ALL!)