I have a little trouble with one of my guitarists and I need some advice/help. The thing is, he's got a lot of technical skill. But the kid is tone-deaf and very little sense of rhythm. I always find myself getting angry when he records his parts to our songs because it takes him forever. Any suggestions on how to help him improve? Metronomes don't work because he can't keep in beat with them and I don't know if training his ear will work with his tone problem.
Vocal Chords.
Bass Guitar.
Band:
Galleries

Quote by EvilMonkeySG3
^+1

Quote by Wratheh
Damnit! Oh well, +1 anyway.
or get him to buy guitar hero 2. It's worked wonders for my timing, just learned to play 'to the rats' by trivium.
You think that'll really work? In my experience with GH, the note timing is sometimes a bit off, because I'll play it in time without looking and it'll make a noise like I'm wrong.
Vocal Chords.
Bass Guitar.
Band:
Galleries

Quote by EvilMonkeySG3
^+1

Quote by Wratheh
Damnit! Oh well, +1 anyway.
If he doesn't use a metronome, and/or isn't WILLING to get his chops up to the point where he can hear and fall in the groove, you need to get rid of him.

4 years or 40 years, if you don't have a rythmic understanding and are able to play in a band situation, all the time "practicing" is useless. You'll never be able to make music.

Also, if you are planning on trying to make something with your music, if someone is not up to par the whole band suffers and no one will want to deal with you. You'll never hand any kind of career.

Harsh, but the truth.

If he isn't willing to bust his ass with the 'trone and try to make up for all the lost time, then he isn't worth it IMO.

*edit*

About the GH thing...no...just no.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
gh is close enough that it doesnt matter how off it is, it gives you the same timing, even if it is off by half a second, all the notes are off by half a second, some arent off at all. And even if it doesn't help, if you get rid of him it'll give him something to do when hes not in the band
It really doesn't matter how in time it is though.

It won't really help when it comes to writing music.

He won't be able to break things down and understand what whole, quater, half, 16th, ect notes sound like in the beat. He needs to be able to do these kind of things.

If anything, GH won't have the notes split up...meaning he won't know what value of note he's playing when he plays it.
Have him use a metronome. When I started using one, my guitar playing improved right away.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Wow...TS just got banned for God knows what.

Oh well...

Metronome all the way baby!
I'd guess multi's because I've seen his band under 3 or 4 accounts
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown