Actually it's more like a cabin studio, but you get the point. I'm here asking for some recommendations on the more important things to buy. Obviously an interface to the computer is important. What mics are recommended (at around 150 a mic budget) and what preamps are important? Anything else to consider?

Thanks
radio shack has a very good wireless mic for around a hundred dollars with very good recoding sound
I AM GOD
Quote by godalmighty11r
radio shack has a very good wireless mic for around a hundred dollars with very good recoding sound

For some reason, i think wireless mics wouldn't be the smartest move, though...
Quote by godalmighty11r

thats not such a great idea!

2x rode condenser mics for vocals & drums
4x shure sm57s for guitar, drums
1x diaphram mic for the drums
1x shure beta for bass drum and bass guitar
problem is preamps make all the difference and they are pricey
Whats your budget?

I say a Digi 003, 003r or 002r for your interface. Great value for money, the 002 is cheap as now days.

The studio I record with uses a Shure drum mic pack, 3 SM57s and a beta 58. I sound like a brand snob

Stay away from wireless when your recording. Use the highest quality leads you can afford.

If you can, build yourself some cheap movable "walls". Kinda like those old moveable blackboards. Then hang some blankets over them, and use them as isolation panels.
Well a good and simple studio setup would be:
3x SM57s
1 or 2x SM58s
What you could do then is to get two condenser mics to use for overhead micing of the drums and then a kick and a snare mic.
Then I would recommend a soundcard for recording. I have a Motu 8pre, which allows recording of eight channels at the same time.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Go analogue! I wish I did. It's harder, but you get style points and it's much more interesting and fun.

So, get yourself some 8-track tape and a reel-to-reel. Maybe some 4-track recorders. Vintage mic-preamps, and some really cool synths and samplers.

Cofflecakes: I have an M-Audio Delta 66. It's great, and the linux driver is excellent (better than the Windows driver ) A good investment.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by godalmighty11r

overall any wireless mic for under $200 wont be great at all......
adding radioshack into this all makes it worse....

but yea look up Tweaks guide for studio setup
its in my sig
Quote by godalmighty11r

Why on earth would you want a wireless mic for a STUDIO???? (Turns to the side and pukes in waste baskets). I would stop recording if I was forced to use only wireless mics based off some bad experiences with them whilst mixing live shows.
#1 Wireless mics cost more
#2 they sound worse and are very prone to rf interference which is unacceptable whilst recording in any kind of professional environment.
#3 They are made for the sole purpose of staying out of your way when running around a stage (and for rappers) - there is no running around the studio as it is not a stage and there is no one to audience in front of.
#4 etc, etc

Ok, now that that is out of the way. Back on topic. TS what is your total budget for the whole system? You do know that your audio interface and preamps will have more effect than the mics (as long as the mics aren't utter crap). Anyways for a budget around $150 each I would recommend SM57's, Re20, and (1 or 2 depending on if you want to stereo mic) Shure SM81's (get it used - these mics last a lifetime....evidenced by the fact you can still buy ones that have been around since 1960).
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

instead of spending that much on mics, maybe lower your budget to 100 each, and spend the rest on other recording gear. for example, monitors. i've been in this forum for a while now, and people just starting recoridng never include those. it's just mic, mic, mic, mic, and sound card.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Behringer HB01 Wah (I realize it sucks, but i have no money right now)
-Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
-Ibanez CF-7 Chorus/Flanger
-I'm not gonna list my amp until I get a decent one
^Thats because monitors will not help you fix the sound of crappy mics - they will always sound crappy on any speakers. It is much better to get a decent mic right off the bat, and then then upgrade with monitors later on so you can maximize the quality of your recordings. If you start off with a mediocore mic and mediocore monitors, you will have to sell either to upgrade.

Buy cheap - buy twice. Besides, for most beginners they can't even hear the sonic detail offered them by dedicated studio monitors, and thus they are not a great investment right off the bat. Better to let their ear mature a little and then getting speakers their ears can appreciate.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Quote by thrice_removed
^Thats because monitors will not help you fix the sound of crappy mics - they will always sound crappy on any speakers. It is much better to get a decent mic right off the bat, and then then upgrade with monitors later on so you can maximize the quality of your recordings. If you start off with a mediocore mic and mediocore monitors, you will have to sell either to upgrade.

Buy cheap - buy twice. Besides, for most beginners they can't even hear the sonic detail offered them by dedicated studio monitors, and thus they are not a great investment right off the bat. Better to let their ear mature a little and then getting speakers their ears can appreciate.

What's really overlooked are preamps. Nobody ever talks about which preamps to get. They affect the sound more than the microphone.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
^Very true - they are much too overlooked piece of hardware. However most of the preamps under the RNP ($450) are just marketing scams that assault you with false detail like how their TOOB circuitry adds warmth to your tone - when really they are no better than the preamps in your audio interface.

I think part of the reason for this is that most of the people here just want the barebones system they can get to have decent audio, and obviously that means a decent audio interface and mic. The mic and audio interface you need just to record anything - and thus it makes sense to get a decent one so you don't have to buy twice. The next step is to upgrade the preamp - but most of the people on this board never even choose to go to that step.

I mean yes you could get a decent interface, a mediocore mic, and then a decent preamp, but that would be silly because most cheap preamps are no better than the ones already in your audio interface - and eventually you will have to upgrade that mic. After, you spend the dough for that interface and mic - audio production starts to get really expensive.

Let me tell you - I only have a one dedicated outboard preamp (a two channel one), and I have just under $5000 worth of gear - or at least will as soon as I am done renovating the studio. Personally I think it was totally worth it though - and yes the preamps were represented a huge upgrade in sound quality.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

thrice_removed - Quick question.

If you get a single preamp...say something like the Focusrite TrakMaster Pro:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FOCTRAKPRO

Would that limit you to one mic?

Another way of wording this all...would I have to buy 8 of those preamps if I wanted to record 8 mics all at one time with a firewire interface?
^ nah dude you can put it through a mixer!
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
^ nah dude you can put it through a mixer!

Some mixers have good pres.

A single-channel preamp yields a single mono track. If you want to record more than one track in parallel you need multiple preamps. In a mixer or not.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
^ Im assuming he using a multi track of some kind.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god