Hi,

Right just been playing about with my amp. I have a prs se singlecut and a marshall dsl 401, running into a cry baby and a small korg tuner. But no matter what I do I find i can't get a good sounding tone out of the od1 or 2 channels. I play this amp only at home and was interested in finding out if anyone could suggest what I could try to get a sharper tone short of getting pedals as i am a bit broke.

I play zeppelin, ac dc and then metallica, alice in chains, mercyful fate, megadeth kind of stuff so nothin super heavy. I think I am asking for some seeting maybe or something that might help give me a sharper less muddy tone. By the way I like the clean setting so don't dump on me for saying that.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Apparently there's a trick you can use that involves jumping the FX loop with a patch lead...can't remember exactly what it's supposed to do though. Also it will never sound it's best until you get the power tubes working, and that means playing at volumes that are "unsuitable" for home practice...bloody good fun though

Also, I'd advise mids high and treble around half...as far as I remember the DSL is quite a bright-sounding amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks, any ideas around the gain tho, I think that having the gain low and the volume for that channel high does something. I really find all this tube ampo stuff quite hard to fathom
Fender Texas Special Strat
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
Tube amps can sound a but thin and fizzy if the gain his high and the volume is low...however once you start to crank the colume they really come to life. Also a cheap EQ pedal won't do any harm.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
any other recommended settings to try?
Fender Texas Special Strat
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
I have this amp, and quite honestly it doesnt give the distortion i'd like, a bit weak. But I play it in my room too, so can only really get the volume round to about 3!

I just have treble high, contour around the middle and bass low. What kind of pickups does the PRS SE have? Im playing with a SSS squier strat so that could be why im not getting much distortion.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
iv got both my clean and overdrive setting at treble 5, mids 8, bass 10 i use an epi les paul custom with alnico 2 pickups with the volume and tone at full, i use od1 gain at 6 and od2 gain at 2-3, i like the od2 better than the od1 but like most i only use the amp in the house at low volumes, with my guitar this sounds pretty good to me although i have tried other peoples settings and they didnt sound good with my stuff
Quote by steven seagull
Apparently there's a trick you can use that involves jumping the FX loop with a patch lead...can't remember exactly what it's supposed to do though. Also it will never sound it's best until you get the power tubes working, and that means playing at volumes that are "unsuitable" for home practice...bloody good fun though

Also, I'd advise mids high and treble around half...as far as I remember the DSL is quite a bright-sounding amp.

i remember seeing some thing about this, think it was that you have 1 lead in the loop input and another lead in the output but dont have the other end connected to anything and have the fx mix up full, if that is right then all i remember was a volume jump, cant think if it giving me a better sound, although i may have been doing something wrong as i couldnt remember if that was exactly what it said
Well they are just the standard PRS ones, they are pretty decent I have used them on several amps and they sound good. I think perhaps the best way will be to get an od pedal or something. But not sure if that will make the biggest difference, or even change the speaker as people often suggest