Okay I'm looking at a Matamp GT1 and you can bypass the master volume control on it.

So it got me wondering..

When an amp doesn't have master volume, how does the pre-amp gain get controlled?

Does it increase as the volume gets louder, or is it a set amount of gain the whole way?

Can anyone explain to me how it works in non-technical jargon?

Thankye
Basically the volume is the gain control.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
yeah, the volume control covers both pre-amp gain and volume.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So increase the volume and it will increase the gain aswell?

That's cool it would mix the pre and power amp overdrive nicely. It has a half power switch too so it would be pretty useable I think.

Thanks for the answers people.
yeah, basically. the onl disadvantage is you have no real control over both, as you do with a master volume amp- with a master volume, you can set it loud and clean, or quiet and dirty etc.

with a non-master, you only have quiet and clean, mid-volume and mid-gain, and high volume and distorted. though it does have a nice vintage mojo because of that, and also it obviously depends on the amp as to how much dirt you can get...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
But as you said, you could disengage the master, so that means you have both a master and non- master, which is very practical.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
You can switch from master volume mode to non-master mode.

here's the link.. MATAMP GT1

I want something that will do nice classic overdrive/crunch for my bluesy leanings but would also like something I can let loose for my doom metal side.

Seems like it would be great and pretty versatile with the extra gain stage in the master volume mode. Has a half-power switch too. Plus I can get it customized to the wattage I want etc.

Verrrry interested. A roadtrip to York is in order once I'm in England so I can try one out!
yep good call gabe. the thd flexi 50, which i've tried, has a switch to disengage the master volume; it's a cool feature. best of both worlds.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That'd be great man! If you weren't after the doom metal part, the King Street Major (I'm after one of those someday) could've been a good alternative, but it's a bit more expensive and probably not worth it if you're gonna want to play heavier stuff.
http://www.matamp.co.uk/KingStreetMajor.htm

And when you do go to York, make sure to let us know how the amp sounded. I'm intrigued
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
The test room looks killer I think it's gonna be a fun day!

CLICKY!

The only thing I'm worried about is it's only single channel. So it has to be responsive to the guitar volume control to clean up a bit 'cos I like those parts in songs when they lull you into a false sense of security, you think the onslaught is over as a wonderous clean melody wafts through the airwaves from your speakers.. then... BAM! Heaviest riff known to man gives you nightmares for 3 weeks!

You get what I mean anyway..
Some kind of boost could help you out though, but I doubt any boost could give you the 3 week nightmare effect

I the speaker test panel though! I'd love to go to that factory...
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Yeah that thing rules. Imagine having something like that in your bedroom. "Hmm.. I'll have greenbacks today" **flick switch**

But yeah I'm not even sure how far away it is, I'll be in Stoke-on-trent so I'll roadtrip it up there one day and play Matamps all day then just leave.

Another question if anyone is still checking this..

If I changed the wattage, wouldn't that mean it will probably use different power tubes? Would that effect the tone?
depends. if you're going from, say, 100 to 50 watts they may just halve the number of power tubes. that'd probably change the tone slightly too, but probably not as much as a change of tube type. EDIT: i could be wrong though, halving the number of tubes may affect tone a lot too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well stock it is 80W which seems like a really weird number. it has 4x EL34

I was thinking 60W would be a good medium but I think then it would make it 3xEL34 if they're 20W each.. Then I dunno how they would split a tube for the half power option.
So I'm guessing they'd have to change the type of tubes.

I dunno anything about the inner workings of an amp or anything about tubes though so I'm really only guessing.

I know I don't want the HUGE tubes that were in my Thunderverb. They were like 50W each and the amp tech guy I spoke to said they were pretty much the most expensive type.
i doubt they'd go with 3 el34. i'm not sure it's possible (i think it might be), but even if it is, i suspect it's awkward.

you could go for somewhere around 40-60 watts (i think) with 2 el34's, but then as you said, you aren't going to be able to get a half power switch- though pentode/triode may be worth considering, which does a similar thing, just in a different way (instead of taking two tubes out of the circuit, all the tubes remain in the circuit, but not all the electrodes are connected up, and the tubes become less efficient, so the power lowers).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well for an example of it look at the Epiphone Valve Junior. I suspect the minimal circuitry is regarded as positive to tone, but most amps have MVs nowadays. It was mostly all the old amps like Plexis that were NMV, and they have to be deafeningly loud to get cooking properly.

They're the best for alternating between dirty and clean work using guitar volume though. Crank it, turn your guitar volume up for leads, down for rhythm and down more for clean stuff.

You probably know all this stuff anyway
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I dunno I'm sure if I decide to get one they can tell me about all the technicalitys.

80W would probably be pretty workable. Good for the master volume setting with plenty of gain and then go half power to 40W for the non-master setting for bluesy stuff should be pretty sweet.

pentode/triode changes the tone a fair bit. (not a bad thing neccesarily) The 60W El diablos have that and I preffered the tone of triode mode than full power mode, it was a bit nasal and really nice lead tone.

Man I'm dying. 9 days until I get to England then I'll go try one out ASAP.

I'm like a 13year old boy who just heard about masturbating for the first time.. I got all this money and I'm dying to 'blow my load' on a killer amp.
yeah pentode/triode does change the tone quite a bit.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?