Ok, so I know this has been done before and i know this really probly isn't the right place to ask either. But I just over a month I have to 'perform a solo piece'. (the achual date is 15th Oct). Basically I all i need to do is play a song, easy enough im just having trouble picking a song. I was just hoping you could give me some suggestions to consider.

I guess im an ok guitarest. I can play (for example) all of a Metallica song, i just cant play the solo (yeh i know what your thinking). Another Problem is ive never really bothered learning a whole song before hand.

I like bands such as Iron Maiden, Metallica, Pantera, Shadows Fall, Rage Agaist the Machine. Id prefer Not to play acoustic or stairway to heaven.

Thanks in Advance, Mark.
Quote by Slinov
i love you

I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A poor Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
i say play beer by reel big fish i always fall back on tht if i havent lernt anthing.
i would personally play "Killing in the name of" or something that shows dynamic change and has loads of different parts in. Anyways good luck with your GCSE's cause atm im doing A level music tech and music GCSE isn't that difficult to get good grades IMO
Well, if your school has the 'rock' books for guitar (I forget what it's called, but your teachers will probably know) you'd be better just picking a piece out of there.

But if not, Iron Maiden songs aren't that difficult, The Trooper is an easy one.

EDIT: I'm doing Tender Surrender for mine, but mine is in March.
Just saying
Quote by blue_strat
I did Fade to Black for my Autumn performance.

That wouldnt be a bad idea as i can play the intro, first solo, and verse (acousticy bit) only i havnt really looked at the solo is it perticually hard ?
Quote by Slinov
i love you

I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A poor Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
Quote by penis rash
i would personally play "Killing in the name of" or something that shows dynamic change and has loads of different parts in. Anyways good luck with your GCSE's cause atm im doing A level music tech and music GCSE isn't that difficult to get good grades IMO

That's what I did, pretty damn easy
Quote by penis rash

Thanks. Thats not a bad idea either as i know all of it other than the solo when ever i play it it dosnt really sound right. I know they use a digi tech wah effects pedal which i dont have (unfortunatly) and i doubt i have the money either. And good luck with your A level.
Quote by Slinov
i love you

do nothing else matters by metallica, great song, really easy. you should walk it, nd the solo's not hard at all.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Dont You get graded on the difficulty of what you play ect ect ?
Quote by Slinov
i love you

Quote by ultimaterocker6
Dont You get graded on the difficulty of what you play ect ect ?

No.

It has to be grade 3 or over, which is piss easy, but you don't get extra marks for playing a more difficult piece.

An easy piece played perfectly will get more marks than a difficult piece with small mistakes.
The solo for Fade to Black isn't that hard. There is a fast bit at the end, but I didn't play that cos we had to shorten the song to fit the 5 minutes. So I played through each riff once or twice, and the first part of the solo (all in a song context - not just to show that i can play the riffs).
Quote by buckethead_jr
No.

It has to be grade 3 or over, which is piss easy, but you don't get extra marks for playing a more difficult piece.

An easy piece played perfectly will get more marks than a difficult piece with small mistakes.

They do take into account difficulty, they are slightly more forgiving the harder you get but yeah that's the general idea
Quote by buckethead_jr
No.

Could you give me an example of say a grade one peice and then a grade 3 piece ? Sorry if im being a pain our teacher dosnt really make things clear.
Quote by Slinov
i love you

Quote by ultimaterocker6
Could you give me an example of say a grade one peice and then a grade 3 piece ? Sorry if im being a pain our teacher dosnt really make things clear.

Well, to be honest, I don't know of any Grade 1 pieces, sorry
But grade 3 isn't all that hard, you could even play some Green Day for it and pass.
I'm totally not sure about what grade a song is.
Quote by buckethead_jr
Well, to be honest, I don't know of any Grade 1 pieces, sorry
But grade 3 isn't all that hard, you could even play some Green Day for it and pass.
I'm totally not sure about what grade a song is.

Ok cool that achully does help. Thank you.
Quote by Slinov
i love you

yea im in the same boat as the thread started, can anyone recommend some acoustic songs?
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Quote by rhysm
yea im in the same boat as the thread started, can anyone recommend some acoustic songs?

Wonderwall (your teachers bound to love it)
Quote by Slinov
i love you

Metallica For Whom The Bell Tolls is a grade 4 piece and its really easy.
Guitar: Jackson JS30KV
PSN id : craig_241
Steam
Feel free to add me!
Suprisingly something like Hey There, Delilah can get you top marks. I remember someone who played One by Metallica and someone played HTD and the one who played HTD actually got a higher mark. Pretty sad, but these examiners don't give a **** if it's metal or simple acoustic.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!
Some pieces that seem really difficult but actually aren't that bad are good choices.. my music teacher said plug in baby looked about Grade 6 (not sure if it is though) and hysteria (for bass) grade 7... if you play pieces like that with even a few mistakes you're gauranteed a kickass mark
Plug in baby is not nearly grade 6 goddammit. I can play all but the chord bits on my bass and I spent 5 mins looking at it.

Fade to black (complete) is about grade 5.

And playing higher grade pieces gets a few bonus marks, and lower than 3 loses marks. However, pushing too hard will reult in sloppiness and therefore lower grades than an easy piece played well.

I got an A*, I Know. (on flute maybe, but that irrelevant...)
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Plug in baby is not nearly grade 6 goddammit. I can play all but the chord bits on my bass and I spent 5 mins looking at it.

And playing higher grade pieces gets a few bonus marks, and lower than 3 loses marks. However, pushing too hard will reult in sloppiness and therefore lower grades than an easy piece played well.

haha the spelling mistake in your sig is great
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Quote by gm jack

Lol damn you with your A* i only got a B for performance, i agree with you about plug in baby no way is that Grade 6 its piss easy after you get the intro sorted.

Erm the dude who wants an acoustic song i would say ermm High & Dry or You-by Radiohead(plus you can easily put bass and drums over it IMO).

OP i think you could try metallica-One or maybe Trivium-Rain those are quite easy metal songs